collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New bill will greatly impact DIY nonresident hunters in Montana  (Read 23424 times)

Offline DWBMontana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: New bill will greatly impact DIY nonresident hunters in Montana
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2021, 08:15:52 PM »
I am guessing the gentleman who is putting this forward has family and , or friends who are outfitters. Montana's did away with outfitter sponsored tags quite a few years back, I doubt there is more support today for it then back then, political suicide in most areas of Montana. I do wish the state would give landowners some support by offering them landowner sponsored tags for elk and antelope like they do for deer. Everybody thinks farmers and ranchers are rich, but way to many struggle like so many others in this country. I know the ranch we lease for hunting has a terrible problem with elk destroying fencing, hay stacks, they deserve to have some relief. Landowner tags in other states have been very successful it seems.

Online ffhoofer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 04:38:00 PM »
Anyone hear how this went today?

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »
I am guessing the gentleman who is putting this forward has family and , or friends who are outfitters. Montana's did away with outfitter sponsored tags quite a few years back, I doubt there is more support today for it then back then, political suicide in most areas of Montana. I do wish the state would give landowners some support by offering them landowner sponsored tags for elk and antelope like they do for deer. Everybody thinks farmers and ranchers are rich, but way to many struggle like so many others in this country. I know the ranch we lease for hunting has a terrible problem with elk destroying fencing, hay stacks, they deserve to have some relief. Landowner tags in other states have been very successful it seems.

Sounds like they should charge more for the lease to hunt rather than asking for money from F&G.

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 06:27:08 PM »
Anyone hear how this went today?

Here is a link: http://sg001-harmony.sliq.net/00309/Harmony/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20210202/-1/41731

They don't get to the bill until almost the 16 min mark.

My guess is it will pass out of committee. Many more testified in favor of the bill in person than opposing it. Frustrating to watch when even F&G couldn't answer what effect it would have on NR DIY hunters. The sponsor is now claiming they only want 40-45% of the tags instead of proposed 60%.  :bash:

Offline DWBMontana

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 08:08:58 PM »

Sounds like they should charge more for the lease to hunt rather than asking for money from F&G.

How about those ranches that are not fortunate to have a lease that have animal concerns? What is wrong with letting ranchers and farmers have some skin in the game?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 08:11:34 PM »
It's backed by outfitters and rich ranchers that like to fly in their family and buddies and want guaranteed tags for them every year.

It has zero to do with crop damage or conservation.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:46 AM »
It's backed by outfitters and rich ranchers that like to fly in their family and buddies and want guaranteed tags for them every year.

It has zero to do with crop damage or conservation.

:yeah:  With the difficulty of drawing non resident tags in majority of western states, having guaranteed tags will be a great money maker for outfitters and ranchers
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 09:45:54 AM »
Yea just ask those in NM
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
Hopefully this gets shot down. Seems the rich will get richer if this passes. Would be another bad/big hit to diy guys. These guys want 40-60% of nr tags. Nothing like creating more division

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »
If I recall this is just reverting back to what used to be where guides got like half the non res tags then 10 years or so ago they pulled em from the guides and all heck broke loose now they are circling back the other way.  Back then you coukd only draw every couple years expect will be that way again. 

Dale prob knows every inch of history about it.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 11:05:46 AM »
If I recall this is just reverting back to what used to be where guides got like half the non res tags then 10 years or so ago they pulled em from the guides and all heck broke loose now they are circling back the other way.  Back then you coukd only draw every couple years expect will be that way again. 

Dale prob knows every inch of history about it.

Correct. It used to be this way and was voted out. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »
2010 I think.  RMEF and NRA were against removing outfitter tags and putting them in the general pool.

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
And out of state hunters will plummet and will eventually be changed back just like the first time. Nobody I know including myself is going to pay an outfitter to take them on a hunt they have been doing on their own for years. I’ll be hunting in a state I know nothing about and probably a location I couldn’t get to on my own before I am paying an outfitter. I guess if Montana doesn’t want my money anymore I will find a state that does

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 11:28:45 AM »
It's starting to look like the original sponsors may reduce the percentage, I think all agree 60% won't be filled.  They are probably happy with a much smaller number for their rich out of state buddies but the way it's written now, the outfitter tags are first come first serve, not reserved for a particular outfitter or landowner, so they might not have thought it through all the way.  I'm actually surprised they didn't pitch reserving X tags per ranch X acres or larger, but then again it's easier to hide behind the outfitters instead of showing their hand.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
It's starting to look like the original sponsors may reduce the percentage, I think all agree 60% won't be filled.  They are probably happy with a much smaller number for their rich out of state buddies but the way it's written now, the outfitter tags are first come first serve, not reserved for a particular outfitter or landowner, so they might not have thought it through all the way.  I'm actually surprised they didn't pitch reserving X tags per ranch X acres or larger, but then again it's easier to hide behind the outfitters instead of showing their hand.

Even with a smaller percentage, that is a lot of DIY tags lost so the odds of drawing a tag will go down a lot. Already one of the most expensive tags in the west so like hillhound said, I will most likely consider other options if it passes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw