collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Son Had A 2 Tom Kinda Day! Adding The Story  (Read 5391 times)

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Son Had A 2 Tom Kinda Day! Adding The Story
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 05:47:12 PM »
This first thing we incountered were hens and Jake's. We had to let them move off so we could make it to a tree that we were going to try and setup at. We used the fan as cover as we crowled behind avid to reach the tree. Getting there was just the beginning of our moves. After reaching the tree we were still 50 plus yards away from the Tom's with only the roll in the hill and some clumps of stacked tree debris and a log or 2 to try and hide behind bit none of it was close and 3 people were hard to hide behind one turkey fan.

Nathan wants to work on his turkey fans. I'll be back later.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 06:04:46 PM »
black bear weight of nearly 100 pounds.
 :chuckle:
I literally laughed until I was crying. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:37:58 PM by Dan-o »
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline highside74

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2021, 06:10:21 PM »
I knew you guys would get that joke.

Offline highside74

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2021, 06:32:24 PM »
Avidnwoutdoorsman was peeking and ranging and we were trying to decide how to get close to these Tom's to get Nathan a shot. Lead birds were already nervous and moving up the hill. Fortunately there were what seemed to he endless birds. At one point there were 10 plus full strut Tom's working in front of us just out of clear sight and range. Since we had the creek flock for backup we kind of decided just to keep pushing the envelope to try and make something happen. The plan was for Avid and Nathan to crawl ahead and I would trail and film. We did have some teaching moments as I had to inform Nathan that if he muzzle flashed Avid one more time while crawling we were going to have to stop. Nathan was very understanding of his mistake and took the instruction well and answered with a yes sir. We decided that Avid would crawl with the shotgun ahead of Nathan to the next spot we hope to set up at. Nathan took the shotgun and proceeded to bury the muzzle in the in the ground while trying to situate himself for a shot. Hiding behind the log Avid is frantically trying make sure the muzzle is clear and not get spotted by the dozen of turkeys a short 30-50 yards ahead of us. At one point a couple of the Tom's circle back into the brush to as close as 39 yards.

Dinner time
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:47:21 PM by highside74 »

Offline highside74

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 08:26:23 PM »
Lots of situating and trying to prepare for a shot that might present itself took place over the next several minutes.Birds were feeding and filing up the hill. The farmer drive up above us and watched from his utv which some of the birds seemed to notice. Again, there were so many it didn't seem to matter. At one point it was almost comical the amount of Tom's the seemed to keep appearing as they moved up from below the knob. They kept angling away and out of reach for Nathan's, dad imposed range of 30ish yards. We were stuck with no more cover for 20ish yards and the Tom's were doing there thing without a care in the world. Avidnwoutdoorsman and Nathan were going to make one last move behind the decoy in hopes of cutting 10 or so yards off the distance. As they did more Tom's came strutting into view. These were slightly closer than the other group and with the slight move that the boys just made they found themselves at 32 yards from the Tom's. Avid signed 32 yards looking for the okay from dad for a shot which I answered "shoot any one of them" ( I think). Nathan took the shotgun and knelt on one knee and propt his off hand elbow on the other as he prepared for the shot. These toms were so into themselves that they gave Avid and Nathan plenty of grace for the amount of movement that was happening. They didn't pay  any attention as they strutted and gobble until they finally separated enough for Avid to call the shot for the Tom on the left. The shotgun barked and the shot was true. Avid exclaimed "Yes, that Kid" as he high fived Nathan. The bird started flopping so they hurried down to save the bird from destroying his tail feathers. Nathan had shot him head on so as it turns out the tail took some collateral damage anyway. More congrats and pictures then a walk down to meet up with the farmer and give him many thanks. We all shook his hand and Nathan told him his story. He invited us back anytime. He said specially when the work starts this summer.

What an amazing gift Avidnwoutdoorsman gave us. His time, his knowledge and his friendship. All things he gave freely and with joy. Nathan and I will never forget these hours spent chasing turkeys as long as we live. It was a fairy tale ending with 2 big Tom's down. One that this dad and his son will be able to talk about for many years to come.

Thank You Chris very much.

Offline highside74

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 08:55:43 PM »
Oh and I stopped the film and counted over 80 birds on the screen at one time as they left.   :tup:  :drool:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 09:27:31 PM »
Great write up and congrats to all :tup:

Offline highside74

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2021, 07:30:57 AM »
Thank you I really liked telling the story. He is hooked and we will be doing it again. 

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2021, 09:05:04 AM »
It was a fun hunt for me. I told my wife of all the things I was looking forward to this spring and the one thing that wasn't negotiable was the youth hunt.

I appreciate the learning opportunity myself and took several things away that I would do different next time for the better. You are always learning when you are hunting.

I don't think there is anything more rewarding then watching someone else kill or catch their first. This was Nathan's hunt. These are Nathan's kills. He was a trooper and got it done when it mattered.

Congratulations!
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2021, 09:18:16 AM »
It was a fun hunt for me. I told my wife of all the things I was looking forward to this spring and the one thing that wasn't negotiable was the youth hunt.

I appreciate the learning opportunity myself and took several things away that I would do different next time for the better. You are always learning when you are hunting.

I don't think there is anything more rewarding then watching someone else kill or catch their first. This was Nathan's hunt. These are Nathan's kills. He was a trooper and got it done when it mattered.

Congratulations!
I totally agree
There nothing better than seeing your little ones succeed.
 :tup:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2021, 12:57:23 PM »
That's the good stuff!  Thanks for sharing.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »

Congratulations!

@avidnwoutdoorsman
Very awesome of you to help out this young hunter with his birds.  Sounds like it was a very exciting day!

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »
This is what it is all about!! Great sportsmen making more great sportsmen! So very cool of all involved to take a young man out and make it happen! So many memories, so many birds, life lessons of helping others and stories for years! Just plain AWESOME!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]