collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: pick up your shells  (Read 7745 times)

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: pick up your shells
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 09:12:13 AM »
When duck hunting, some places are really hard to find all your shells.  That said, you can almost always easily find other people shells and have more coming out than you went in with.
Not always a good idea to pick up others I learned this season.  I picked up a bag full and brought them out and the game warden was counting empty shells.  Fortunately they were multiple different brands, various corrosion to the metal etc.  If your in a 15 shell restriction, I will only account for what I brought in.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 09:13:51 AM »
The two pass shooting spots on Fir always have lots of empties laying around in front and on the back side of the dike.  Have watched lots of folks burn through boxes of shells shooting at geese that are way to high.

Nothing is too high to shoot at on Fir Island! You are just not exerting yourself... It is not a good hunt unless you shoot at least three boxes of 3 1/2's and then leave the empty shells there.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 09:48:42 AM »
When duck hunting, some places are really hard to find all your shells.  That said, you can almost always easily find other people shells and have more coming out than you went in with.
Not always a good idea to pick up others I learned this season.  I picked up a bag full and brought them out and the game warden was counting empty shells.  Fortunately they were multiple different brands, various corrosion to the metal etc.  If your in a 15 shell restriction, I will only account for what I brought in.

Good point, I forgot I had the same thing happen last season during a license check.  They were largely rusty and obviously not from that day so the warden thanked me, but if you bring out a pile of fresh ones I could see that ruining your spirit of cleaning up after other people.

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »

Good point, I forgot I had the same thing happen last season during a license check.  They were largely rusty and obviously not from that day so the warden thanked me, but if you bring out a pile of fresh ones I could see that ruining your spirit of cleaning up after other people.
I wonder what happens if they stop to check you and you have no shells to show. Do they give you a ticket for littering?
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »

I wonder what happens if they stop to check you and you have no shells to show. Do they give you a ticket for littering?
Not sure.  But I did see the warden go and looking around the area a group of kids were hunting.  They had shot probably a 120 shots between the 4 of them in a 15 shell area.  I think the warden had seen them making multiple trips back to the parking area as well.  I heard the next day all 4 received tickets.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 10:11:57 AM »
These are all good reasons to pick up your shells. Another good reason: so other hunters won't stumble across your empties and find your "secret" spot! When I was starting out on public land years ago, I found some of my favorite mallard holes cause other hunters had left a pile of empty shells on the shore.

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 11:14:07 AM »
These are all good reasons to pick up your shells. Another good reason: so other hunters won't stumble across your empties and find your "secret" spot! When I was starting out on public land years ago, I found some of my favorite mallard holes cause other hunters had left a pile of empty shells on the shore.

:yeah: I'm all for clean lands, but this is always on my mind in my spots  :chuckle:

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »
Dog and I were hunting the Potholes and stumbled across the most well made, from all natural stuff, blind I have ever seen. Then or since. I would not have seen it except the dog was sniffing around the edge of it. They had also left all their empties inside. We made use of the blind! Picked the hulls up since they were a different gauge (I shoot 16 gauge) so no issues with picking up those empties.
They spent some time setting it up, I will say. Very well done.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline HaydenHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 11:28:51 AM »
While I try to pick up my hulls, I won't stop a hunt to search them out.  Who here finds all of their shells? 
We hunt public and nothing screams "this spot is good" like a pile of fresh, not rusted hulls.  To that end we do carefully search out all of our hulls.  We have some honey holes that don't get hit by other guys and the last thing I want to do is leave a clue that they should set up and hunt it. I also pick up hulls because it is the right thing to do.

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »
Always pick up my empties and other trash and I agree that if I find a spot with a pile of fresh evidence of a good spot, I'm sure going to give it a try.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 01:36:44 PM »
Always pick up my empties and other trash and I agree that if I find a spot with a pile of fresh evidence of a good spot, I'm sure going to give it a try.

I always pick up my empties and then some.  Then I dump them somewhere I don't want to hunt to draw people off the X.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 09:02:25 PM »
A game warden shouldn't (and really can't) write you a ticket for having over 15 empties in a 15 shell limit location...for one, you are picking up trash and it's highly unlikely that if you took more than 15 shells into that area that you are sportsman enough to carry out your own trash...secondly, empty hulls are just that and not legally "shells" so if you get a ticket, just take it to court and ask the court the definition of the 15 shell limit, i.e. the definition of a "shell" which is a hull, primer, powder, wad and shot...an empty is literally just a piece of brass and plastic. It's the same as if a youngster brought out a bag full of crushed and empty beer cans and the gamie wants to write them a ticket for possessing alcohol...its just a container.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 03:00:32 PM »
Looking at the picture, it's not much of a pile and likely multiple users. 
While I try to pick up my hulls, I won't stop a hunt to search them out.  Who here finds all of their shells? 
That little pile hardly warrants the finger shaking admonition.

I do my best if I’m hunting a popular area I will usually come out with more empty’s then I fired even if I didn’t find most of my own. I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some. I mean I usually find one or two good intact shells in a blind as well. If I’m in a more private spot I will got he extra mile to get every single one if for nothing else to not make it look like a good spot to the random guy.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2021, 10:53:05 AM »

That is one STUUUU-PID game warden.  I would of told him you are trying to set me up by planting all those empty shell mr Rosco P Coltrain.  Go tell Boss Hog shove it up his phat ass! LMAO!
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]