collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Video about wolves  (Read 2898 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Good Video about wolves
« on: April 08, 2021, 08:14:59 AM »
This is a good one.
I believe it applys to Washington Alot,even though this guy is in Canada.

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Good Video about wolves
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 09:26:02 AM »
Yep.🤬
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »
Locally, eastern Washington, you can screw things around and make that fit.  The details are much more complicated.  A hundred plus years ago, where I live, no ungulates existed and dang few predators as a result.  People created the conditions for them to thrive and they did.  People are now supporting conditions, as explained in the video, that turns things up side down.  Cats, bears and wolves are the poster children for folks that are clueless as explained by the Canadian.  The modern wolf is a little different.  Parvo, distemper and wolf/wolf conflict did not exist in that pristine Canadian drainage, it does here.  Our system makes it easy for a 'new' predator to explode and fill habitat and without serious management, Idaho, we have a huge problem out of control on local levels.  Show the pictures, tell the facts and help those in trouble.  The law suit concerning wedge grazing is the exact opposite.

Offline logola512c

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 09:52:04 AM »
I think the guy in the video makes a couple illogical assumptions and conclusions.  The problem he describes is one that was created by logging companies clearcutting and building roads where none existed in this mythical pristine forested valley.  It's the logging roads, exacerbated by snowmobilers, that caused and led to the initial imbalance that he describes.  Once that imbalance exists, he then criticizes the anti-hunters for not being ok with re-balancing the predator population.  But I haven't met too many anti-hunters that aren't also anti-logging and anti-snowmobiles-in-the-woods-dripping-oil-and-scaring-wildlife.  So while the anti-hunters aren't helping solve the problem created by others, they're certainly not, in my opinion, the cause of the wolf population exploding in this make-believe forested valley.  Now, if we turn to the real world, outside that pristine valley, there may be a need to rebalance the wolf population -- but the argument in this video shouldn't convince anyone because it's not logically compelling.   

Offline Loup Loup

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WSTA, ITA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters, F4WM
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »
Well, I just wasted 4 1/2 minutes on that joker, when I should have been tuning another wolf trap.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 12:31:29 PM »
I really like most his hunting videos, the guy is a machine.  Not sure about this video, I guess it makes sense but it also doesn't really relate to our state in my opinion.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 01:17:09 PM »
I think the guy in the video makes a couple illogical assumptions and conclusions.  The problem he describes is one that was created by logging companies clearcutting and building roads where none existed in this mythical pristine forested valley.  It's the logging roads, exacerbated by snowmobilers, that caused and led to the initial imbalance that he describes.  Once that imbalance exists, he then criticizes the anti-hunters for not being ok with re-balancing the predator population.  But I haven't met too many anti-hunters that aren't also anti-logging and anti-snowmobiles-in-the-woods-dripping-oil-and-scaring-wildlife.  So while the anti-hunters aren't helping solve the problem created by others, they're certainly not, in my opinion, the cause of the wolf population exploding in this make-believe forested valley.  Now, if we turn to the real world, outside that pristine valley, there may be a need to rebalance the wolf population -- but the argument in this video shouldn't convince anyone because it's not logically compelling.

You are correct in a lot of ways, snowmobile trails do increase wolf's reach and provide travel corridors for them.  Never seen a snowmobile trail a wolf didn't love.  I disagree on "oil dripping snowmobiles" never seen that, the trails are pristine now as older 2 strokes are worn out and much cleaner machines are on the trail.  I digress...

Logging operations and roads also lend itself to wolf travel...

But I ask you this, why is it that wilderness is some of the most heavily impacted by wolves?  There's no oil dripping chainsaws, no snowmobiles and no logging yet ungulates are hardest hit in pristine wilderness areas.

We cannot stop logging and move everyone to cities or restrict all recreation to human powered only..that's ridiculous.

So since we're on this landscape..and have done the things we've done... the only productive lens to look tbrough now is the lens looking forward, if we want lots of ungulates, we need lots of predator control.

It's that simple. Of course I'm for habitat improvements and common since management, I'm for multiple use lands and I don't want to reduce wilderness areas nor do I want federal lands transferred to the states or public...none of that is on the table and never was in a meaningful way..despite all the initial Trump bluster, it wasn't ever really on the table.

Offline logola512c

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »

You are correct in a lot of ways, snowmobile trails do increase wolf's reach and provide travel corridors for them.  Never seen a snowmobile trail a wolf didn't love.  I disagree on "oil dripping snowmobiles" never seen that, the trails are pristine now as older 2 strokes are worn out and much cleaner machines are on the trail.  I digress...

Logging operations and roads also lend itself to wolf travel...

But I ask you this, why is it that wilderness is some of the most heavily impacted by wolves?  There's no oil dripping chainsaws, no snowmobiles and no logging yet ungulates are hardest hit in pristine wilderness areas.

We cannot stop logging and move everyone to cities or restrict all recreation to human powered only..that's ridiculous.

So since we're on this landscape..and have done the things we've done... the only productive lens to look tbrough now is the lens looking forward, if we want lots of ungulates, we need lots of predator control.

It's that simple. Of course I'm for habitat improvements and common since management, I'm for multiple use lands and I don't want to reduce wilderness areas nor do I want federal lands transferred to the states or public...none of that is on the table and never was in a meaningful way..despite all the initial Trump bluster, it wasn't ever really on the table.

I was just trying to parrot the anti-logger and anti-snowmobiler folks.  I personally have no problem with either.  I was only trying to point out the flaw in the videographer's logic in my post.  And I've also harvested 5 bears the last 3 years so obviously no problem with predator hunters from me.  Now if I could just find a cat in my cross hairs...at a nice safe 150 yards, before he sees me...   

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »
Ah, I didn't get to know you enough yet to know where you were coming from  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]