collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Salmon is set  (Read 6070 times)

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Salmon is set
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:39:06 PM »
forecast of 2,925,681 pink salmon  :tup:

I bet that we get at least 2,925,682.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »
forecast of 2,925,681 pink salmon  :tup:

I bet that we get at least 2,925,682.

No bonus pinks though...which with a forecast like that sux. 
Some days getting thru the pinks to get to king's is a pain.
Now it's without reward.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »
No bonus is bogus for sure unless it somehow was taken into account and the coho quota was stretched longer.  Somehow I doubt that, but who knows?  It's not like WDFW has any transparency.

Offline hunthard

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 04:50:00 PM »
I bet when the pinks start showing up in force they will allow 2 pinks in addition to your daily limit.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 04:57:30 PM »
 431 chinook, guess they have to save them for the orcas because they don’t eat pinks or coho! :rolleyes:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 05:04:52 PM »
431 chinook, guess they have to save them for the orcas because they don’t eat pinks or coho! :rolleyes:

You know its true, the science says so! Our poor south sound orcas have become so picky that is all they can stomach. They catch the poop the confirm it! They can catch whale poop but have no idea how manage anything other than legal sportsman.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 06:17:41 PM »
I bet when the pinks start showing up in force they will allow 2 pinks in addition to your daily limit.

They didn't two years ago.  The school outside of Muk was over 1/2 mile long and you could boat limit in an hour missing half the fish you hook but their in season counts were not good enough to justify the bonus limit.  Not sure who was counting or how.

The big impact of not having a pink bonus is that a bunch of guys will release pinks that will become crab food or seal food.  I wish I was smart enough to understand how we aren't encouraged to take advantage of a bounty of fish when they occur.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 06:22:08 PM »
I heard the reason was to get more fish into the rivers and build the runs. Apparently they increased retention limits of pinks in the rivers but not the salt. Doesn't make any sense to me, as stated now a lot of people will rail pinks trying to get limits of chinook and coho. Pinks bleed like a stuck pig so probably a ton of mortality with catch and release. What do I know though. Guess Ill be dragging my 6"-8" commercial spoons in the ocean looking for big kings.

Offline pnwbestlife

• Tracker
    • facebook.com/pnwbestlife
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »
I believe the reason for no bonus pink limit in the salt is because several rivers are expected to still have poor returns in 2021 that need to rebuild. I wrote an article a month and a half or so ago where I included all the salmon forecast shared by WDFW back in Feb: https://pnwbestlife.com/puget-sound-salmon-forecasts-2021/

If you scroll down to the section on pinks, it shows the map WDFW shared. I believe the two rivers expected to struggle are the Snohomish and Nisqually.

Many of our seasons end up getting set by the most constrained rivers that the fishing in the salt could impact...Sucks to suck, but it does make some sense assuming the data is accurate (big assumption).

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »
I tend to be conservative on harvest of our Salmon runs but, I am not worried about Pinks.
I do enjoy your YouTube channel PNWbestlife.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:25:11 PM by Jake Dogfish »
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline pnwbestlife

• Tracker
    • facebook.com/pnwbestlife
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 05:30:52 PM »
I tend to be conservative on harvest of our Salmon runs but, I am not worried about Pinks.
I do enjoy your YouTube channel PNWbestlife.

Oh man, thanks Jake!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 06:28:36 PM »
I believe the reason for no bonus pink limit in the salt is because several rivers are expected to still have poor returns in 2021 that need to rebuild. I wrote an article a month and a half or so ago where I included all the salmon forecast shared by WDFW back in Feb: https://pnwbestlife.com/puget-sound-salmon-forecasts-2021/

If you scroll down to the section on pinks, it shows the map WDFW shared. I believe the two rivers expected to struggle are the Snohomish and Nisqually.

Many of our seasons end up getting set by the most constrained rivers that the fishing in the salt could impact...Sucks to suck, but it does make some sense assuming the data is accurate (big assumption).

It makes sense until you come to the realization that until every species in every stream in every watershed in the entire Puget Sound recovers to some unknown amount there will be a reason to clamp down on the seasons.  In other words, it will never happen.  It's like the dogs chasing the rabbits around the track, we will never catch the prize.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 11:23:48 PM »

It makes sense until you come to the realization that until every species in every stream in every watershed in the entire Puget Sound recovers to some unknown amount there will be a reason to clamp down on the seasons.  In other words, it will never happen.  It's like the dogs chasing the rabbits around the track, we will never catch the prize.
+1
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »
Better than I realistically thought it was gonna be. I'm looking forward to Summer and getting out there now. The coast and Columbia system is looking pretty good.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]