collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seeking answers to colville turkey hunting  (Read 15889 times)

Offline Bogie85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
Re: Seeking answers to colville turkey hunting
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 08:29:25 AM »
Make sure you have a quality turkey call and you know how to use it. I use John Sinclair custom calls with rutland dymondwood strikers. This is a crucial investment. Having the ability and confidence to call birds in from extreme distances is a game changer.  There are lots of sound files on John's website for the assembled calls. You can also pick a completed pot and choose your own surface/soundboard if that's what you like. A lot of dudes sound like absolute doodoo and still kill birds...In my opinion sounding real and being loud enough when it counts is key to locating and killing birds. You can give yourself a leg up right out of the gate by having the best call money can buy.

Now this is one I haven’t heard and is worth it’s weight in gold. Going to do some research. Thanks a ton, time to learn some new things :).

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 08:53:49 AM »
On the topic of high quality pot calls, check out Rowden Game Calls. Stan.Rowden on instagram but he's on here as well. Love my glass pot call he made me. When I contacted him he sent me a few wood + epoxy molds he had ready to choose from, chose a surface and had in hand a few weeks later. His prices are great too. Going to order a slate call from him some time soon.

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
here are some soundfiles of the rowden vs. Sinclair calls. There are a ton more files available for different Sinclair call but I could only find the one for Rowden.

Rowden:

Sinclair:

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 03:48:05 PM »
Definitely can hear differences through the video. Guess I have some research to
Do. Thank you all for the help, these things make sense to me.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 04:20:24 PM »
I own a call from Stan now, but a lot of birds have died from the very inexpensive ok’ Betsy from primos.  I think it was $15.  You need to go into a hunt with a minimum of two but 3-5 different calls will help you immensely.  Sometimes a bird will go stale to one call, but if you wait awhile and run a different call can make all the difference.  With different strikers ran on different areas of your call you can make one pot call sounds like multiple birds.  The first birds were shot this year took an hour and a half to call out of the flock and it was when I switched it up to a different call.  A box call will get you your best distance and out are best for medium to close in.  Diaphragm calls work for all distance.

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 04:33:06 PM »
I own a call from Stan now, but a lot of birds have died from the very inexpensive ok’ Betsy from primos.  I think it was $15.  You need to go into a hunt with a minimum of two but 3-5 different calls will help you immensely.  Sometimes a bird will go stale to one call, but if you wait awhile and run a different call can make all the difference.  With different strikers ran on different areas of your call you can make one pot call sounds like multiple birds.  The first birds were shot this year took an hour and a half to call out of the flock and it was when I switched it up to a different call.  A box call will get you your best distance and out are best for medium to close in.  Diaphragm calls work for all distance.

I'm not sure what Stan charges, but I would encourage anyone who is looking to consider a call from a custom builder rather than a lot of the bigger brands. I saw the phelps/meat eater CNC pot calls going for 80 bucks and just about spit out my coffee. You can get hand turned custom turkey calls from Sinclair and I'm sure others for that price and less in premium woods.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 05:59:23 PM »

This information is really helpful, I do have a box call and several different diaphragms. My slate call I got, I wasn't happy with so I stopped using it. But the distance thing is good to know.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 06:02:53 PM »

I'm not sure what Stan charges, but I would encourage anyone who is looking to consider a call from a custom builder rather than a lot of the bigger brands. I saw the phelps/meat eater CNC pot calls going for 80 bucks and just about spit out my coffee. You can get hand turned custom turkey calls from Sinclair and I'm sure others for that price and less in premium woods.

Honestly I preferr hand made anything, there is more meaning behind it. You can see the the labor put into it and feel it. Some of Stans calls are 55 dollars some are higher but not by much maybe 75-80 for some super rare wood. But that seems more like a stylistic choice. Like if you want to wear kuiu because it gives you the right to *censored* in the road (I know from experience). Or if you wear sitka because it gives you the right to park your camper right in the middle of prime hunting ground (actually had this happen this year lol). Obviously I am kidding about both of those, I wear kuiu because hiking my butt up mountains in heavy gear just got to wear me out too fast. Otherwise I still tried my best to buy everything I could on sale.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 09:57:49 AM »

I second the idea of not only multiple pot calls, but strikers, as well. One year I lost or misplaced my striker(s) and ended up using sticks, twigs and an empty ballpoint pen tube. All of them made my pot calls sound different, not bad, just different. I started playing around with stuff in this regard. Now, in addition to my store-bought wood & carbon-fiber strikers, I also carry a very cheap (free) chopstick made out of balsa wood I picked up with some Chinese food. It actually works and makes my calls sound completely different. It also makes cutting and clucks easier for me.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2021, 09:36:01 AM »
Any thoughts on whether the rain this weekend is going keep the birds holed up? Hoping it's a lighter rain and they're out feeding in the fields and moving around more.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2021, 09:51:51 AM »
Any thoughts on whether the rain this weekend is going keep the birds holed up? Hoping it's a lighter rain and they're out feeding in the fields and moving around more.

I'll give you a definitive answer Monday... :chuckle: :chuckle:  We are gonna go kill a few this weekend and it is my experience that the birds will still be out moving and feeding as usual.....assuming it is not gale force winds at which point all bets are off. 

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 09:59:13 AM »
Yeah wind forecast seems to be pretty light. Hoping the rain keeps some people home too.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »
Yeah wind forecast seems to be pretty light. Hoping the rain keeps some people home too.
Don't wanna disappoint any hunters, but hope we get a really good rain. It's extremely dry, side roads very, very dusty and fire danger is going to be really bad if we don't start getting some rain

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
lot's of smoke in the air this morning,  seems to have cleared out some with the noon breeze

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2021, 03:49:12 PM »
This is a time to do prescribed burns.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal