collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seeking answers to colville turkey hunting  (Read 15891 times)

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Seeking answers to colville turkey hunting
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »
I've had them hang up. Found that if you change positions a bit, off to the side and maybe away from the bird some while not calling as much can help. I always thought it makes it seem the hen just isn't all that interested and is leaving. Kind of forces his hand. He either wants it or not. Had one come running in, gobbling the whole way, after a second move and I swear I heard "WAIT...WAIT... DON"T GO!! :chuckle:

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2021, 11:29:31 AM »
My wife got her one Central Washington turkey this year On opening day and I got mine This last weekend. Both were called in to decoys. But I had my Tom decoy set up over top to look like it was breeding my hen decoy. Let me tell you once those Toms saw that there was no hangup. Hers came right in and she shot it at 15 yards. Mine came in with two other toms. They all three headed straight to the decoys and could only get them separated enough for a shot at one when the other two started to attack the Tom decoy. So I would agree a single hen Or hen and Tom decoy May cause them to hang up and decide just to put a show on where they are, but I feel like the way I set my decoys was a call to action. Either do something now or he’s getting some and you aren’t

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2021, 02:59:52 PM »
I've had them hang up. Found that if you change positions a bit, off to the side and maybe away from the bird some while not calling as much can help. I always thought it makes it seem the hen just isn't all that interested and is leaving. Kind of forces his hand. He either wants it or not. Had one come running in, gobbling the whole way, after a second move and I swear I heard "WAIT...WAIT... DON"T GO!! :chuckle:

Lmao this is a good mental note to try, play hard to get. Calling but going the other direction.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2021, 03:01:34 PM »
My wife got her one Central Washington turkey this year On opening day and I got mine This last weekend. Both were called in to decoys. But I had my Tom decoy set up over top to look like it was breeding my hen decoy. Let me tell you once those Toms saw that there was no hangup. Hers came right in and she shot it at 15 yards. Mine came in with two other toms. They all three headed straight to the decoys and could only get them separated enough for a shot at one when the other two started to attack the Tom decoy. So I would agree a single hen Or hen and Tom decoy May cause them to hang up and decide just to put a show on where they are, but I feel like the way I set my decoys was a call to action. Either do something now or he’s getting some and you aren’t

Hmm, can you provide a pic? I have a tom decoy I can use too.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »

Be careful with those Tom decoys on public.

I would just take a portable Jake and Hen. I like the kind that unfold so you can keep them in a backpack and just drop them quickly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 08:15:56 PM by konradcountry »

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2021, 05:33:10 PM »

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2021, 11:56:09 PM »

Interesting, is that a Tom or a Jake for the decoy? I have heard some say that big Tom decoys can scare them away. But jakes they will come fight.

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2021, 02:37:31 PM »
Third year making trips out east and still no luck. This time I camped/hunted in the Colville national forest and found it eerily empty of game. Not just turkeys, but also very sparse deer/elk sign.
Question: was it so quiet/empty because I missed opener? i was wondering if the turkeys just got obliterated on opening days, and the ones that remained were just very wary/quiet? It makes sense logically, just looking for confirmation. I felt like I was in great turkey territory, but the only birds I laid eyes on (aside from the stray hen or two) were in private fields.

Lots and lots of handsome toms in private fields. No shortage there!!!

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2021, 03:48:01 PM »
Third year making trips out east and still no luck. This time I camped/hunted in the Colville national forest and found it eerily empty of game. Not just turkeys, but also very sparse deer/elk sign.
Question: was it so quiet/empty because I missed opener? i was wondering if the turkeys just got obliterated on opening days, and the ones that remained were just very wary/quiet? It makes sense logically, just looking for confirmation. I felt like I was in great turkey territory, but the only birds I laid eyes on (aside from the stray hen or two) were in private fields.

Lots and lots of handsome toms in private fields. No shortage there!!!

As easy as some folks make it sound on this site and others, turkeys ain't easy! Finding public ground that holds turkeys is even harder, especially as the season progresses. That all being said, Stevens County is loaded with birds and you just have to keep looking...which is hard when you live 5 hours away and can't make multiple trips in a given year.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2021, 08:02:25 PM »
I am very interested in doing a guided hunt (mostly for the learning opportunity) - what should I budget for a one, or 2 day hunt?

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2021, 08:22:57 PM »
I am very interested in doing a guided hunt (mostly for the learning opportunity) - what should I budget for a one, or 2 day hunt?
Contact bearpaw the site owner

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »

800-1250 depending on how long you want to go.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »

Thank you for the info! I'll start budgeting.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2021, 02:09:04 PM »

Thank you for the info! I'll start budgeting.

I am not an expert, an extreme amateur with only 1 success so far. Granted I think I learned what I was doing wrong in the past and I may be able to help. PM and I can try to give you some pointers. I had a lot of help from people on here, and it really helped me string together a success.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal