collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause  (Read 4948 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blues Elk Substantial Decline and the Root Cause
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2021, 07:25:23 PM »
Oh, and I've killed a bear outta there and seen plenty - it was at one point the highest density per square mile in the state around dayton/tucannon area.  Also, wolves howling on the eastside of the blues while hunting blue mountain unicorns, shut the elk up quick.  Trifecta of problems.

Of course Wik helps hunters. Isnt his brother one of the main scouts for tag hunters!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2021, 10:05:46 PM »
The nez peirce are way worse than the umatilla tribe.  They slaughter the elk in the lick creek tucannon mountain view and wenha units.  No tags no limits.  The like to shoot cows hang em near the roads so there sent is there during the rut and shoot the bulls when they come in.  Dont take an ounce of meat of the cows just use them as bait.  I have witnessed this firsthand and have talked to numerous of them that have told me this is there tactic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

not as bad in Mt View as most of it is inaccessible by road and they dont get out of the rig

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2021, 09:28:16 PM »
It is NOT good at all thatís for sure. I still hold to the fact that I know 8 of 8 dudes that kilt 320+ bulls in the blues 2018-2020.

Offline Landowner

• Political Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »
Update today:  Calves have been and are being collared.  But still a ways to go to get to 125 total collared calves.  A number of collared  calves have already been killed by predators.  Analysis  has been conducted and causes of mortality have been confirmed on a large portion of those kills.  Some mortality causes are in process of being analyzed with help of WSU veterinarians.  A little early to release any info yet IMO.  Suffice to say that predators are in the thick of it.  More to come. 

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
Update today:  Calves have been and are being collared.  But still a ways to go to get to 125 total collared calves.  A number of collared  calves have already been killed by predators.  Analysis  has been conducted and causes of mortality have been confirmed on a large portion of those kills.  Some mortality causes are in process of being analyzed with help of WSU veterinarians.  A little early to release any info yet IMO.  Suffice to say that predators are in the thick of it.  More to come.
I know that this is a huge predator problem but I am really interested to see which one is the biggest problem or if it is an equal problem between the wolves, bears, and cats. Lots of people have their guesses so it will be interesting to see.
Zonk Volmer

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
I know that this is a huge predator problem but I am really interested to see which one is the biggest problem or if it is an equal problem between the wolves, bears, and cats. Lots of people have their guesses so it will be interesting to see.
There was a study done a few years back on the coast, where blacktail fawns were collared and tracked to see which predators did most of the killing.  Bobcats ended up being the number one killer.  In second place and not close to first were bears.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

WTB RL26 by Tball77
[Today at 02:49:51 PM]

Deep Cycle Batteries for sale by CP
[Today at 02:38:09 PM]

Nightforce SHV 5-20? by brocka
[Today at 02:25:59 PM]

FS: Christensen Ridgeline 300 win mag PRICE DROP by jrebel
[Today at 02:06:33 PM]

WTS: Winchester Model 12, 16 gauge Custom by tydawg
[Today at 01:57:09 PM]