collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: rattle snake encounter turkey hunting TOO CLOSE!  (Read 4989 times)

Online birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
rattle snake encounter turkey hunting TOO CLOSE!
« on: May 18, 2021, 11:21:59 AM »
So last weekend i was in Idaho bird hunting, about 5 miles in gated access and stepped over a log and rattles immediately sounded the alarm.. I had never in all my years in the woods, stepped on a snake but that one was too close for me! Could have been a very dangerous situation had i been struck. I would recommend a good set of snake gaiters during warmer periods of hunting ANYTHING if you are in snake country from this experience! This guy was as big around as my wrist once i got a stick and actually got to look at him under the log! Hope you take this warning to heart!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: rattle snake encounter turkey hunting TOO CLOSE!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 11:25:11 AM »
Wow way too close
What was the elevation? Timber Rattler?

Online birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 11:40:45 AM »
Wow way too close
What was the elevation? Timber Rattler?

timber yes, elevation ? up in mountains though temps last weekend were mid to high 60's there
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »
I was rattle snake hunting once due to not catching any fish and lots of boredom, my little bro sat on a rock to listen better down in a crevasse we thought the rattler was in, but it was actually under the little rock he sat on, and it vibrated his scrotum. 

Tea bagging a rattler is my definition of "too close"

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »
We had a very close encounter 2 years ago in June while scouting in Idaho. 5000ish feet? Very hot weather. Not at all in a location I ever expected to encounter a rattlesnake, north facing slope, in the timber, nice and cool. We were walking downhill through knee high grass and brush. No way to see them coming. He rattled so soft you could barely hear it. Timber Rattlers keep you on your toes boy. Went 20' and moved a big bull snake, and then heard another rattle not far from that. It was a veritable snake pit. We spent the next 30 minutes tossing rocks and sticks in front of us to try and move anything out of the way. It was pretty tense for a bit.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »

The Western rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis) that is found in Idaho has three subspecies; the Prairie, usually found in Valley and Lemhi Counties; the Great Basin, located in the southwestern part of the state and the Northern Pacific rattlesnake that inhabit the Snake, Salmon and Clearwater River valleys.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
So last weekend i was in Idaho bird hunting, about 5 miles in gated access and stepped over a log and rattles immediately sounded the alarm.. I had never in all my years in the woods, stepped on a snake but that one was too close for me! Could have been a very dangerous situation had i been struck. I would recommend a good set of snake gaiters during warmer periods of hunting ANYTHING if you are in snake country from this experience! This guy was as big around as my wrist once i got a stick and actually got to look at him under the log! Hope you take this warning to heart!

Where’s the picture of the snake dead?

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »
Knock on wood, I’ve never been able to even coax a strike out of a rattler, don’t recall ever stepping directly on them but have stepped darn close , stepped and rolled rocks they were under, handled them etc... Moved dozens off the rd and they’d rather turn and run. Bull snakes on the other hand, they strike first then hold their ground. 

Glad you didn’t get nipped.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
Wellllll......did you eat rattlesnake that night??   I know I would have.  Way better trophy than a dirty bird IMO.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 12:24:10 PM »

Where’s the picture of the snake dead?
:yeah: I sure hope you killed it???
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
I have never seen a rattle snake while hunting in all my years. All over eastern wa.
One buddy once almost peed on one down near Asotin. And I set on big rock once and looked down beside it was a huge shed snake skin next to a hole. I got outta there.

If ever do see one and you are around you will know it by the girl like screaming and missals launching. 
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »
I hate rattlesnakes. I would've called in an airstrike if I were you. Lol. Stepped right over one, literally inches from my boot, in Umtanum once and during a different season watched another go down a hole about 5' right in front of me right where I was walking. Both in snakey areas though so wasn't as much of a mind F as seeing one where I never thought they'd be. Not fun either way.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 05:51:59 PM »
I grew up in the desert.  My elementary school was right on the edge of town, literally at the beginning of the Great Open Empty.  The dust storms were unbelievable.

I was fed a constant diet of stories about poor Joey.  "Joey crawled under his house to get his baseball, and was bit to death by rattlers....."  I must have heard a hundred different versions of the Joey story.  I often wondered how many times Joey died of snake bites, or how many Joeys there used to be.

But, in all my years of living in the desert, and the many decades of hunting and hiking in the Northwest states, I have never once seen a rattlesnake.

Lucky?  Fortunate?  Blind?  Maybe Joey took one for the team?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 06:07:19 PM »
I was rattle snake hunting once due to not catching any fish and lots of boredom, my little bro sat on a rock to listen better down in a crevasse we thought the rattler was in, but it was actually under the little rock he sat on, and it vibrated his scrotum. 

Tea bagging a rattler is my definition of "too close"

:chuckle: :chuckle: Impressive! Never heard of anyone that tea bagged a rattler! Maybe this could become a new "bucket list" item for the adrenaline junkies out there 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 06:23:11 PM »
It could have made him a eunuch

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]