collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2022 Ford Lightning Discussion  (Read 41929 times)

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: 2022 Ford Lightning Discussion
« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2023, 05:55:10 PM »
Every apartment/house/condo has an outlet and that’s all you need because the cars all come with 120v chargers. So waiting for every one to have a charger isn’t really a necessity assuming the residences run on electricity.

Not really.  If projected/desired adoption levels of EVs happen, it will require a doubling, at least, of the entire electrical grid.  You can only push so much juice down the wires.

Very few with the acception of the higher end apartments and condos even hav designated parking, let alone parking near an outlet.

That’s highly variable. It may be true where you live but is nowhere near true everywhere. Where I live almost all apartment/condo places have parking lots or garages. Nearly all of the garages have electricity for each stall and it’s very easy to run electricity through a parking lot. When I was little the parking lot of the apartment we lived in had outlets in the parking lot for people to plug their block heaters in. As battery cars get more common, more places will add it to be more competitive f be able to charge a little higher rent.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #256 on: January 29, 2023, 08:15:09 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see apartments putting in chargers and then making a few more bucks charging tenants marking up the electricity.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2023, 08:20:11 PM »
I'm not sure what problem hydrogen solves.  It's $5-8 a gallon equivalent, still requires a battery propulsion system, creates significant explosion and leak risks, is an incredibly complex system that's difficult to work on and requires completely new service infrastructure and there are a fraction of even the EV charging stations.  It seems to be combining the worst characteristics of other vehicles.  Cost prohibitive to run, hard to fuel, complex and hard to repair.

If I had to guess, a combo of gas/diesel and electric will be around for quite a while.  It's about the perfect mix we can currently make.

Kinda where I was at.

I also thought this was a thread about the Lightning, not about the downfalls of EV’s and the upsides of an alternate fuel that mostly doesn’t exist yet. Apparently anything is better than electric, even if it doesn’t exist yet. Or… did I miss all the hydrogen powered vehicles on the road and all the hydrogen filling stations?  How’s it possible to compare and say hydrogen is far superior when it doesn’t exist yet?
I’m not pimping EV. In fact I’m literally almost arguing with my wife as I type this because she wants one. I am wondering how we can honestly say hydrogen is better when it doesn’t exist yet though.
Im a fan of hybrids.

Hydrogen, either used in an IC engine or fuel cell format is a long way away, if ever for passenger vehicles.  Best solution would be environmentally safe batteries, sodium based perhaps, combined with home, or very local, electrical power sources, i.e. micro nukes or high efficiency solar.  All of these technologies are currently under development.  It will be interesting to see how it evolves over the next 30+ yrs.

For state of the art as far as Hydrogen EV goes check the link below.  Cool local company.  Currently gaseous hydrogen powered transitioning to liquid over the next few years.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90837208/the-worlds-largest-zero-emission-truck-is-more-than-two-stories-tall

That’s my point, regarding to promotion of hydrogen in the posts above.

There are production hydrogen cars now.  I read an article about them in California where they have to set an alarm and get to the charging station at 4 am to avoid huge backups due to the few number of them and the constant need to repressurize.  They also had an explosion in the distribution that shut down a huge number of the stations.  You also need special garages to work on them, they need to be equipped to handle depressurizing as well as flushing the system if it needs to be worked on.  I think most do it outside from what I read.

I'm not sure I would ever be comfortable parking a full tank of 10,000 psi hydrogen in my garage next to the gas water heater with our bedrooms right above it.

It could have application in the commercial market, I used to drive a propane Pepsi truck.  Dual gas/propane, not sure what the point was but it worked fine.

I wouldn't be surprised to see fuel cells take off at some point, but I don't think hydrogen will be the fuel.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2023, 05:59:22 AM »
There  are plans to put a hydrogen fueling station in, in Centralia in the near future. Mostly for buses though I think.

I also saw an article in the Chronicle awhile back that a company is using the Trans Alta coal mine as a test area for their hydrogen powered off road trucks.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2023, 04:11:16 PM »
Interesting. 

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2023, 07:05:37 PM »
There  are plans to put a hydrogen fueling station in, in Centralia in the near future. Mostly for buses though I think.

I also saw an article in the Chronicle awhile back that a company is using the Trans Alta coal mine as a test area for their hydrogen powered off road trucks.

One will be online in 2028 in Ferndale as well.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Online 509

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2023, 07:54:50 PM »

Douglas County will be producing hydrogen this year...date in the article is incorrect.

https://douglaspud.org/douglas-pud-proceeds-with-hydrogen-phase-2/

Not sure if they will have a fueling station for private vehicles. 

The bad news is that Douglas County PUD will be selling less electricity to western Washington and Oregon as a result.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2023, 06:21:48 AM »
Interesting. 

Many manufacturers are headed this way, vehicle to grid, vehicle to home and vehicle to vehicle.  It's simpler to do it through a bi-directional charger as most don't have an onboard inverter of significance.  Several are 1-2 years out of production, maybe less.  A couple also incorporate existing other energy sources like generators and pv.

Kind of funny how he bashes American truck owners and then buys one but it's ok since it's for his channel.  XLT probably wouldn't even work in his case, platinum was needed :chuckle:

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2023, 08:16:08 PM »
Interesting. 

Many manufacturers are headed this way, vehicle to grid, vehicle to home and vehicle to vehicle.  It's simpler to do it through a bi-directional charger as most don't have an onboard inverter of significance.  Several are 1-2 years out of production, maybe less.  A couple also incorporate existing other energy sources like generators and pv.

Kind of funny how he bashes American truck owners and then buys one but it's ok since it's for his channel.  XLT probably wouldn't even work in his case, platinum was needed :chuckle:
Unfortunately his truck had issues and he returned it to the dealer for full refund.

Heard today that while lightning production is still halted, because of a battery fire (rumored) during a preship test at the factory, they also recalled 18 trucks.  Sucks to do a recall, but pretty interesting it is only 18 out of the thousands they shipped to this point.  Means whatever caused the fire they had in plan is a recent change.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal