collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is considered bait?  (Read 14712 times)

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: What is considered bait?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2021, 11:01:11 AM »
Yeah I would be sketched out even having a rifle in the truck while preseason baiting for deer during bear season. Definitely sounds like separate trips and may be leaving the rifles in the motel room or something. Really wouldn’t want to give yourself a reason to get in trouble especially if you’re not doing something wrong. But putting yourself in the warden’s position you’re gonna look pretty suspicious

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2021, 11:05:08 AM »
Looking for some input on this one.
So My hunting partner and I will be heading up this weekend to hunt bear in the area where our three bait station/cameras are set up. We have zero plans to hunt over our bait for bear (illegal) but we plan to rebait and pull cards form all three while in the area bear hunting? So..... If we have giant bags of apples strapped to our packs and are carrying our rifle to said bait stations to pull the cards and rebait? All sorts of illegal? LOL
So if we want to rebait and pull cards we need to leave our rifles in the truck hike all the way in to each ( multiple mlles to each one) and burn hunting time?  :'(
I don't see another option? I'm completely new to bait and cameras. so what do you guys do, during this time of the year?

Good God dude! Why on earth isn't your wives/girlfriends carrying the bait?

You really are new to this.. :chuckle:
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2021, 11:21:33 AM »
If you hunt bear in the area you bait deer, ESPECIALLY apples, and a warden sees it, you will get some time in front of a judge.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »
At this point I'd probably just stop talking about it and go kill the bear. Loose lips sink ships.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
At this point I'd probably just stop talking about it and go kill the bear. Loose lips sink ships.
We have zero interest in breaking the Laws.
Separate trips it will be and best to just leave the bags of apples at home. Sounds like August is a no rebait season.
I'm learning still when it comes to bait and cameras. We have been keeping the bait locations refilled twice a month and have a good consistent group of bulls, bucks (one nice shooter), does, and yes Bears coming in on a regular basis. We just wanted to keep the feed rolling in for them as not to mess up the pattern. We put down feed and within two days they are all over the bait every time.   
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2021, 01:41:29 PM »
Looking for some input on this one.
So My hunting partner and I will be heading up this weekend to hunt bear in the area where our three bait station/cameras are set up. We have zero plans to hunt over our bait for bear (illegal) but we plan to rebait and pull cards form all three while in the area bear hunting? So..... If we have giant bags of apples strapped to our packs and are carrying our rifle to said bait stations to pull the cards and rebait? All sorts of illegal? LOL
So if we want to rebait and pull cards we need to leave our rifles in the truck hike all the way in to each ( multiple mlles to each one) and burn hunting time?  :'(
I don't see another option? I'm completely new to bait and cameras. so what do you guys do, during this time of the year?

Just leave your bear tag and gun in the truck and make a bait trip then go hunt a different location.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2021, 10:27:47 PM »
I have a couple of deer bait stations going and have mineral licks at all of the spots. The bears love to come in flip the *censored* out of the licks and bite my damn cameras.

Anyways, my question is.  Does a mineral lick count as bait?

If you or a buddy put it there and it attracts wildlife, then yes.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline callturner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2021, 07:17:49 AM »
Carry your deer bait, (apples grain whatever) carry your gun. If you see a bear around you bait leave it alone. As long as you don't attempt to kill it your not hunting bear.  Tend your cameras and be on your way .  If I carry  my handgun in a Mall or store I'm not a killer. I'm more worried about running into Moose than bears and I always carry a gun.  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2021, 07:39:33 AM »
Carry your deer bait, (apples grain whatever) carry your gun. If you see a bear around you bait leave it alone. As long as you don't attempt to kill it your not hunting bear.  Tend your cameras and be on your way .  If I carry  my handgun in a Mall or store I'm not a killer. I'm more worried about running into Moose than bears and I always carry a gun.  :chuckle: :chuckle:

There have been cases of guys charged with bear baiting when hunting over bait with just a bear tag in pocket. Whether you are caught shooting at one or not you can be accused of bear baiting. Not something I would worry about but if you are then leave the tag in the truck.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2021, 08:34:24 AM »

There have been cases of guys charged with bear baiting when hunting over bait with just a bear tag in pocket. Whether you are caught shooting at one or not you can be accused of bear baiting. Not something I would worry about but if you are then leave the tag in the truck.

At a baited stand/blind etc., if you have a bear tag in your pocket, you for sure will get to explain it to the judge and it wont be free.   :twocents:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »

At a baited stand/blind etc., if you have a bear tag in your pocket, you for sure will get to explain it to the judge and it wont be free.   :twocents:
So what you saying.....
I can't carry a firearm for protection ,while tending game cams.
Maybe I hunt coyote year round.
Ya accused,or charged is one thing.
When I talk to the prosecuter,the state ,county,or whatever ,better have there p and q and I ,dotted .
Cause at the end of the day they better have some evidence to prove what ,where,and how I'm hunting.
I carry a firearm in the woods regardless of what I'm "hunting" that given day.
Yes it will be free ,cause a case is not gonna be followed through without evidence.
And honestly you should know better with wolves and huge amount of predators in our county ,there's really no reason you shouldn't have a firearm for protection alone.
Just an FYI ,you don't have to have a tag in your pocket to be accused of hunting ,per definition of hunting according to state law.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2021, 10:20:16 AM »
I'm just gonna post this as a reminder of what state law says.
And let fellow hunters take responsibility for your own actions.

) "To hunt" and its derivatives means an effort to kill, injure, harass, harvest, or capture a wild animal or wild bird. (34) "Illegal items" means those items unlawful to be possessed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx%3Fcite%3D77.08.010%23:~:text%3D(33)%2520%2522To%2520hunt%2522,items%2520unlawful%2520to%2520be%2520possessed.&ved=2ahUKEwjEw7LK1czyAhWsJzQIHR-wDUYQFnoECAMQBQ&usg=AOvVaw3uW02Q-4hWnllxFdeos5vX

As used in this subsection, "bait" means a substance placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attracting black bears to an area where one or more persons hunt or intend to hunt them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx%3Fcite%3D77.15.245&ved=2ahUKEwiCwNub1szyAhVxHjQIHYoMCMUQFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1V1FZZdMKy58UHobgJWWfS

Doesn't matter if you have a tag or not,you can still be "Hunting"

My advise personally,
If your carrying a firearm to check game cams and deer and elk bait spots.
And stoped by warden ,I would make it very clear that your not actively hunting and the firearm is for personal protection.Keep your mouth shut.Let them do there job and prove otherwise.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:21:25 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »
anything food you take in the woods and dont eat rather leave it there.... pretty much sums it up.
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2021, 04:22:09 PM »
Both Zack and I have been in to rebait all three of our locations since bear hunting started. We both carry our Glocks as defensive weapon only. Bear tags and rifles stay in the truck while rebaiting. We then move away to a different location to search for bears. Unfortunately we have only spotted one so far and he was running for his life. Seen a few deer, mostly does with fawns. Most have two fawns with them. That’s a good sign for the future. They sure are little still. Had one at 3 yards balling for its mom. Very exciting experience.
We went up for a weekend bear hunting trip, and brought no bait with us just to be safe.
Animals caught on camera has went down a bit. No elk lately, lots of fawns and does, a couple bucks, lots and lots of bears. Over half the bears we get on camera are sows with two Cubs. Again good news for the future of bear hunting our area. Berries are absolutely everywhere, found multiple bark peals, and a few stumps torn apart with claw marks. No question we are in the correct location for a bear.
Did a few calling sessions with Zack’s electronic call. Fawn distress and rabbit, no bears interested.
Planning to switch gears over to archery deer soon as we both have multi season deer tags.

Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2021, 01:25:43 PM »

So what you saying.....
I can't carry a firearm for protection ,while tending game cams.
Maybe I hunt coyote year round.
Ya accused,or charged is one thing.
When I talk to the prosecuter,the state ,county,or whatever ,better have there p and q and I ,dotted .
Cause at the end of the day they better have some evidence to prove what ,where,and how I'm hunting.
I carry a firearm in the woods regardless of what I'm "hunting" that given day.
Yes it will be free ,cause a case is not gonna be followed through without evidence.
And honestly you should know better with wolves and huge amount of predators in our county ,there's really no reason you shouldn't have a firearm for protection alone.
Just an FYI ,you don't have to have a tag in your pocket to be accused of hunting ,per definition of hunting according to state law.

Of course you can carry a fire arm. Just don’t carry a bear tag. If your headed to check a cam that has salt you really shouldn’t have to worry as a game warden won’t assume your baiting bear. If your sitting in a stand over the salt with a gun during bear season and bear tag then don’t be surprised to receive a ticket.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]