collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice on 11 1/2 ft Artic Fox camper  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Looking for advice on 11 1/2 ft Artic Fox camper
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 01:35:35 PM »
We have a 2007 dodge 1 ton Dually manual that we haul our 11.5 Artic fox camper. We have Torklift over load pucks instead of air bags which we believe was a better stabilizing option for us. We run toyo m55 tires as well. Also, an exhaust brake cause dodges braking systems suck. I can’t imagine not having the extra set of tires for stabilizing the load especially fully loaded with water and gear. Don’t want to a Debbie downer but I’d hate to see you spend money and time getting setup for this then have it not work out. It’s quite a load.

I wish I had an exhaust brake.. but don't agree with your assessment on the brakes. The E brake sucks but...
We’ve had a 96 1 ton dually that also had a weak braking system. We’ve installed different brands of brake components over the years and nothing makes any difference, just glad we have a manual with the exhaust brake. A lot of our dodge pickup repair customers over the years also have the same opinion  :dunno: .

have you tried switching to gm 1 ton rear wheel cylinders. lots of info online with part#s, i did the swap on my 98 and really improves the braking over stock.
No, but good to know that. We’ve gotten used to what we have now.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »
I'd get a second mortgage on your house. Put airbags on your truck and carry every front suspension component available and haul it with you in a trailer if you every drive on rough roads. If you go off road, maybe get a back up truck for when the front starts falling apart on you. good luck.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 03:22:28 PM »
We have a 2007 dodge 1 ton Dually manual that we haul our 11.5 Artic fox camper. We have Torklift over load pucks instead of air bags which we believe was a better stabilizing option for us. We run toyo m55 tires as well. Also, an exhaust brake cause dodges braking systems suck. I can’t imagine not having the extra set of tires for stabilizing the load especially fully loaded with water and gear. Don’t want to a Debbie downer but I’d hate to see you spend money and time getting setup for this then have it not work out. It’s quite a load.

I wish I had an exhaust brake.. but don't agree with your assessment on the brakes. The E brake sucks but...
We’ve had a 96 1 ton dually that also had a weak braking system. We’ve installed different brands of brake components over the years and nothing makes any difference, just glad we have a manual with the exhaust brake. A lot of our dodge pickup repair customers over the years also have the same opinion  :dunno: .

have you tried switching to gm 1 ton rear wheel cylinders. lots of info online with part#s, i did the swap on my 98 and really improves the braking over stock.

But it can be scary on slick roads

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
That big of a camper I'd run an F450 or Ram 5500

Thinking about a Ram 5500 desmogged,  with air suspension and 11 or 12 foot flatbed, purpose built with side boxes
Air suspension-->  https://kelderman.com/shop/air-suspension
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:51:39 PM by KFhunter »

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2021, 12:41:40 AM »
I am looking at buying a used Artic Fox 11 1/2 ft camper with a dinette slide out from a friend . My question is I have a 1 ton 2005 1 ton dodge diesel 4 door with a 6 speed manual transmission  and a full lenght bed and is not a dually. I was told it is not recommended to carry that big of camper without duallys. Anybody out there not using  duallys. I was looking at getting some wide tires in the rear in say a 12 ply.  Whats your input. Thanks Larry

I have a 04.5 1-ton. I believe there only rated for 2850 lbs.  That 11 1/2 camper has to be way over that

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
I am looking at buying a used Artic Fox 11 1/2 ft camper with a dinette slide out from a friend . My question is I have a 1 ton 2005 1 ton dodge diesel 4 door with a 6 speed manual transmission  and a full lenght bed and is not a dually. I was told it is not recommended to carry that big of camper without duallys. Anybody out there not using  duallys. I was looking at getting some wide tires in the rear in say a 12 ply.  Whats your input. Thanks Larry

I have a 04.5 1-ton. I believe there only rated for 2850 lbs.  That 11 1/2 camper has to be way over that

While my dually is Rated for 11.5 k and belive the standard are 10 k... i can tell you that you can put a lot of miles on them above the GVWR. I likely have put more miles above the GVWR in one year that most would in 10 with a camper.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2021, 09:49:38 PM »
Duals are great. With a camper it's the front end that gets destroyed every 5k. Campers off road smoke front ends. Who cares about the rear??? New tires don't blow like 1978. Duals are rarely needed anymore
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 07:34:56 AM »
An Artic Fox 11.5 ft camper is pushing 5000 pounds wet weight . You can spend thousands on special tires and suspension beef up but your still going to be way iffy hauling that kind of a load around. I personally wouldn't do it without a dually and as others have stated maybe a dually 4500 - 5500 . Can be done way over the trucks capacity.  Good luck.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 08:32:19 AM »
An Artic Fox 11.5 ft camper is pushing 5000 pounds wet weight . You can spend thousands on special tires and suspension beef up but your still going to be way iffy hauling that kind of a load around. I personally wouldn't do it without a dually and as others have stated maybe a dually 4500 - 5500 . Can be done way over the trucks capacity.  Good luck.

and when you go off roading the front end still gets destroyed and you need a kidney belt for the ride. Used to drive the company F 450 for special deliveries/emergencies on jobsites and borrowed to get firewood a number of times. anything beyond smooth pavement is pure hell ride. need a hard hat for when you hit bumps and get launched through the roof. about similar to my F 350 empty lol
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2021, 08:41:26 AM »
Kelderman front and rear air suspension is the solution.

I've been thinking about my retirement camper a bit and thinking about a purpose built rig.

I see these 500 thousand dollar motorcoaches be just tore up on the Alaskan highway through Canada, I use to drive semi's in Canada and travel trailers and motorhomes do not like 1000'smiles of washboards and big potholes.  Trucks with slide in campers did the best, held up the best.

A 5500 or f550 on air bags designed for semi's is the answer I cam up with.

I want to put rickson singles on, they're designed for ambulances, firefighting brush rugs and such. They'll be mounted with commercial offroad tires.  I'll go with the option with all 4 wheels the same for rotation purposes and flare the fenders.

Kinda like this
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 09:01:15 AM by KFhunter »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »

No, but good to know that. We’ve gotten used to what we have now.

30 or 33mm (can't remember its been so long) GM cylinders make a huge difference in braking, the trade off is that it will lock up the rear brakes on slick roads, so anything slick I put in 4x4 to equalize the braking on slick roads, but you will get drivetrain lash doing that.  I rarely drive my old Dodge in the winter so the enhanced braking while towing is absolutely 100% an improvement. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2021, 12:39:42 PM »
This is what I'm envisioning for the truck, even has the singles on it I want.  Imagine how easy it would be to chain it up, even with a camper on it.

Drop the camper and I can haul my gooseneck too, have a flatbed for general farm truck stuff.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:12:46 PM by KFhunter »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2021, 01:05:53 PM »
I also see some cool rigs using those midsize trucks, topkicks

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2021, 01:25:58 PM »
Well if you want an offroad camper buy a military surplus LMTV thats been converted. Likeley better and cheaper than a new dodge with camper anyway...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2021, 01:55:19 PM »
I thought about that, but long range trips on the interstates would hella suck.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]