collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth Yakima Early Archery Cow Elk  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Danjoyls2k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Youth Yakima Early Archery Cow Elk
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 12:14:11 PM »
Little update... the fire at Schneider springs in the bumping gmu is going to have so.e fairly profound effects imo. I would expect the elk to push down into Nile, the. Following Memorial day weekend for an aggressive pushup Into higher elevations. Just something to consider... as of now the forr is only at 4000 acres, but there may be some additional potential in this unit.
Anyone else feel this is a somewhat coherent logical expectation?
Not trying to hijack your thread, just have a soft spot for kid hunts, and hope for the most success possible.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 02:00:25 PM »
Little update... the fire at Schneider springs in the bumping gmu is going to have so.e fairly profound effects imo. I would expect the elk to push down into Nile, the. Following Memorial day weekend for an aggressive pushup Into higher elevations. Just something to consider... as of now the forr is only at 4000 acres, but there may be some additional potential in this unit.
Anyone else feel this is a somewhat coherent logical expectation?
Not trying to hijack your thread, just have a soft spot for kid hunts, and hope for the most success possible.

From what I’ve read in the Yakima Herald you aren’t going to access much in that area. Forest service will close down the 1500, 1600, 1700 and 1800 roads. There telling people to stay away.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 06:13:45 PM »
Thanks!....I too saw the fire and the updates. Hoping this rain system this weekend will help out and by the time his hunt comes around (Sept. 11th is the start) that it will be out and over. I do understand that some roads and trails might stay closed until snow falls, but I hope some of it opens back up...we are planning another scouting trip off of White Pass as a back-up plan. His tag is good for 5 units...

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Danjoyls2k

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
Headed over 410 this morning to check some cams, they have access roads closed off to Bumping and Nile areas prior to Little Naches rd. Both fires in the area shouldn't pose an access problem come September, but I have no information or knowledge besides prior experience.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 11:46:04 AM »
Headed over 410 this morning to check some cams, they have access roads closed off to Bumping and Nile areas prior to Little Naches rd. Both fires in the area shouldn't pose an access problem come September, but I have no information or knowledge besides prior experience.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices/?aid=67707

I wouldn’t get your hopes up of hunting that area. Most Eastern Wa is seeing exceptional drought conditions.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
I have been keeping an eye on inciweb where the fire data is kept up to date, twice a day. Looks like the fire is now 5,000 acres with only 30 personnel on it (but a type II team arriving). The "good news" is that it is primarily heading east, and hopefully (after this next weeks high temps) things should start cooling down with some moisture (this weekend helped a little...very little). I am guessing they closed the Bumping River road due to it being a one way in/out valley so it is safer to keep everyone one of it for now. Hopefully in a month it will be back open, along with trails in the area. We do have some back-up plans, though running out of scouting time due to school being in person (finally!!!!) and a vacation planned between now and then. Right now, I am not worrying too much about it, especially since he has several units to hunt...blind, but at least hunt.

Thanks everyone for the updates! We appreciate them!!!

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]