collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shooting a collared Elk  (Read 4309 times)

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
Shooting a collared Elk
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:47:13 PM »
Yea or Nay?

I pulled an antlerless cow elk tag and one of the cows on my cameras is rocking some hardware...does that become your target cow?
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline Weatherby92

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
Re: Shooting a collared Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
I say nay.

My reasoning is all the money they (assuming WDFW) has invested into that animal. Now, what they're doing with the data is a different discussion.....

But for that reason alone i would try to target a different animal and save money for the WDFW (which comes from us)..... thats my two cents. Good luck on the hunt.
Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain - Mark Twain

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:05:52 PM »
Yay!
Then shoulder mount it with the collar on 😂

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 10:17:32 PM »
I say Yay....if she presents a shot you should kill her.  If she is a bigger cow, they likely have all the data they need and there is a good possibility the tracker is no longer working.  Regardless, I would drop the hammer given the chance. 

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:32:58 PM »
I say nay.

My reasoning is all the money they (assuming WDFW) has invested into that animal. Now, what they're doing with the data is a different discussion.....

But for that reason alone i would try to target a different animal and save money for the WDFW (which comes from us)..... thats my two cents. Good luck on the hunt.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/management/predator-prey-study = reason for collar as an FYI? don't know if this would swing polling....
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline Weatherby92

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:45:35 PM »
I say nay.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/management/predator-prey-study = reason for collar as an FYI? don't know if this would swing polling....

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't say it changes my answer. But i also know i wouldn't go home without an elk if the collared one was the only shot opportunity i had. I would just try to target a different one if possible, kinda like trying to pick out the old/dry cow when possible.
 It all comes down to how the opportunity is presented.

Edit- if the collared one is the old/dry cow i would let it rip.

Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain - Mark Twain

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »
With the quality of hunting and the animal numbers going down in the toilet in this state, I wouldn’t pass up the only opportunity you might have. Now if there were multiple elk in my crosshairs and one was collared and others weren’t, I would choose another. But in the areas that we hunt where we used to wade through cow elk all season, you now can go the entire season without seeing a elk!!!
Zonk Volmer

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »
With the quality of hunting and the animal numbers going down in the toilet in this state, I wouldn’t pass up the only opportunity you might have. Now if there were multiple elk in my crosshairs and one was collared and others weren’t, I would choose another. But in the areas that we hunt where we used to wade through cow elk all season, you now can go the entire season without seeing a elk!!!
:yeah:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 05:17:59 PM »

We killed a big mulie back in the 80,s that was radio collared, big bugger, it had a brass plate on the collar giving instructions as what to do if found. Long story short, we followed instructions, was sent info where to turn in all the hardware etc, We got a very detailed letter from the bio who did the colloring of this buck, it was his first. The batteries had went dead a few years prior so they didn't know if he was dead or alive, they sent us his movement history over the 2 or 3 years they tracked him, his summer range was about 15-20 miles or so into B.C, we killed him approximently 50 miles or so away in his winter range where they had tracked him to every winter that the batteries worked, its the exact area they tranquilized and collared him, in fact it was less than 2miles from the exact spot they did the work on him, pretty cool. Last I heard was that the bio had put the collar setup on a plaque and mounted it above his fireplace. He was very appreciative that we sent everything back, since it was his first.

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 06:04:12 PM »
A legal elk is a legal elk regardless of a collar. Send it an eat well.

Offline dewandgin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »
Drew an antlerless cow tag many moons ago and shot a cow with a collar in the cowwemann area. It was a pain to have them come get the collar but we did get some cool information from it. Also when we were cutting her up we found a part of the needle from the tranquilizer dart.

If it is legal I say drop her.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 06:25:45 PM »
It's like a banded duck.  Collect the collars and hang them on your call lanyard.  You'll look cool.  8)

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 09:28:02 PM »
My brother killed a collared Bull once. The Biologists removed one of its Ivories for aging when they first collared it. He was more than a little upset that he only got one Ivory from the deal.

For a cow, I wouldn't care either way if it had a collar or not. Just take the First Best shot you have.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 10:13:51 PM »
Perfectly stated. Do this.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 06:34:37 AM »
My friend shot a collard bull a few years ago, it was collard from the mucks it turns out.  So he sent it in to them, I'd have put it on a train, and they gave him a hat and tee shirt I think.  They also showed him the tracking on him the year and half he was collard, that part was pretty cool.  Worth turning it in, I'm older and somewhat wiser now so I'd turn it in today.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand