collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: DEFINING THE BLUE MOUNTAINS ELK MANAGEMENT PROBLEM  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: DEFINING THE BLUE MOUNTAINS ELK MANAGEMENT PROBLEM
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2021, 10:02:50 PM »
Can someone tell me where in Washington the RMEF has secured critical habitat for elk or done some serious improvements to a specific area in terms of something more than a rain guzzler? I don't know of anything.
They negotiated a huge land swap in the colockum, consolidated a bunch of DNR land and turning land locked DNR land into private.

If you want to get into that further it is probably best to start a new thread rather than derailing this one.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline elkchaser54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2021, 06:12:23 AM »
A lot of RMEF land purchases get turned in to national forest land or state land upon the sale. They also buy small parcels to improve access to bigger chunks of land . In the blues they purchased land and now it's just part of the Wooten Wildlife area

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2021, 06:46:43 AM »
I wasn't meaning to derail the original thread and I agree RMEF does some good things and acquiring critical land is important. My point was its an existing  huge organization with lots of members and money and whats the point of buying up land if we aren't taking care of the herds we bought the land for..? Guys were talking on here about maybe we need to get together and sue the state for piss poor management and bios and commissioners not wanting to support predator control .. Seems like its something RMEF could get behind and they have people who could get the ball rolling or at least put some pressure on the state much easier than a group of hunters. If I got a mailer from RMEF asking for a donation and the money was for individual state predator control programs I would send them a check...
 I still remember in 2007 when I drew my Wenaha archery tag and talked at length with Pat Fowler and he basically predicted this demise of the Blue Mtn herd although he thought it would be more caused by increased tag numbers after he retired than anything but the point is that its a herd that can't sustain overhunting or excessive predation .. Glad I got to see it at the pinnacle because of great management and now what we've seen is what a  huge turnaround bad management can do to a world class herd...

Offline LDennis24

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2021, 11:07:57 AM »
Yeah I wasn't trying to derail either. Just wasn't aware of what they had done and was curious if anything East of the river would come up basically. I was wondering if something was gonna come up in the blues that I was unaware of. I guess I had heard of guys packing in salt to fill hollowed out logs in order to develope mineral licks in the Blues in the past but am unaware if that was funded by RMEF.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2021, 11:39:39 AM »
Critter organizations wont get political which is why you should join one that will. I am a member of several different organizations that fight for sportsmens rights. In washington i belive that fighting for sportsmens rights is a higher priority since for a variety of reasons.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bobdog86

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2021, 07:14:28 AM »
Problem with land (habitat) acquisitions whether WDFW purchases of private land for public, etc.....the harsh reality is it just gives the Native Americans more land to hunt, where we are given less in some instances (land acquired but only special permits to hunt). At least when it the land is private, the owner has the ability to control access for any demographics....

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Tracker
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2021, 09:09:58 AM »
Recruit more hunters from Seattle *gasp* you'd be surprised how many people come around to the idea of hunting. I make it a point to expose people to the topic of hunting in every day conversation. Stop being a bunch of ********

Hunters are a dying breed. Without out serious financial backing there isn't any way to win. You need numbers. There need to be more tangible actions to recruit hunters in the cities. That's the only way... obviosuly it would require you to step out of your comfort zone. Take one from their playbook, "allies". 

Offline Special T

• Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
Recruit more hunters from Seattle *gasp* you'd be surprised how many people come around to the idea of hunting. I make it a point to expose people to the topic of hunting in every day conversation. Stop being a bunch of ********

Hunters are a dying breed. Without serious financial backing there isn't any way to win. You need numbers. There need to be more tangible actions to recruit hunters in the cities. That's the only way... obviosuly it would require you to step out of your comfort zone. Take one from their playbook, "allies".

I agree with what I highlighted in red, however you may need to verify your statement depending on how you take his response.

Sportsmen give plenty of $ and so do corporations, but only to critter habitat groups, not sportsmen advocacy. Giving $ to RMEF, MDF, DU, NWFT or nearly any other critter org isn't going to solve problems in this state. I'm not saying you shouldn't belong to one but if you don't belong to an advocacy group then you wasting your $. The best known national Org is SCI. While I'm not a member I am a member of 2 state organizations that advocate for sportsmen.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Tracker
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2021, 12:45:00 PM »

Hunters are a dying breed. Without serious financial backing there isn't any way to win. You need numbers. There need to be more tangible actions to recruit hunters in the cities. That's the only way... obviosuly it would require you to step out of your comfort zone. Take one from their playbook, "allies".

I agree with what I highlighted in red, however you may need to verify your statement depending on how you take his response.

Sportsmen give plenty of $ and so do corporations, but only to critter habitat groups, not sportsmen advocacy. Giving $ to RMEF, MDF, DU, NWFT or nearly any other critter org isn't going to solve problems in this state. I'm not saying you shouldn't belong to one but if you don't belong to an advocacy group then you wasting your $. The best known national Org is SCI. While I'm not a member I am a member of 2 state organizations that advocate for sportsmen.

Hmmm intersting prospective. I would think that "critter organization" and "sportsmans advocacy" was the same thing. What sportsmans advocacy groups are there? I'd be intersted in learning how sportsmanship is promoted

Offline Special T

• Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »

Hmmm intersting prospective. I would think that "critter organization" and "sportsmans advocacy" was the same thing. What sportsmans advocacy groups are there? I'd be intersted in learning how sportsmanship is promoted

I just posted in the RMEF thread, but the short and sweet difference is critter orgs only do warm and fizzles, advocates wade into the politics.

RMEF didn't address the wolf issue because it affects elk... but it is political to engage over predators so they don't.

DU did a bunch of the engineering on many of the salmon habitat enhancement projects. Most of these took away opportunity for those with out boats. Also eliminating groceries from the local areas.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:26:49 PM by Special T »

Confucius

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2021, 09:24:42 PM »
Fire near table rock lookout.

Offline LDennis24

• Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2021, 11:58:35 PM »
Your talking table rock East of the Watershed? How big is it? Moving East? My wife's cabin is up by Twin Buttes. 

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2021, 06:33:43 AM »
Sorry off topic but the fire by Asotin is called the Asotin complex fire, it is estimated 300 acers and growing. Towards the Wawawai rd, lightning caused.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Timberstalker

• Busch Light Rocks
  • Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
There's also a bad fire in Lick Creek.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7615/
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement