collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BEST JEEP TIRE!!! lets hear it.  (Read 11357 times)

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: BEST JEEP TIRE!!! lets hear it.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
I have been eyeballing a set of 40" patagonia's  for the race jeep. It's not actually but it looks mean.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »
Cooper ST Max or Goodyear Duratrac. My last three sets of tires of been Duratracs and they've outperformed the BFG's and Toyo's by a longshot.

That Duratrac came on our new GMC AT 4. Worst tire I have ever had on a pick up. 20K miles they start getting loud and bad on wet pavement. No noticeable wear. 30K miles they howl and have a nice howl vibration. Currently, at 42K miles they get terrible traction on wet pavement, make the inside of a new truck sound like a Willies Jeep with 1940 military surplus tires. All my rigs have BFGs. Waiting for winter to ditch the misery of the Duratrac hell.

You're correct, they are noisier and outperformed by the BFG's on wet pavement, for sure :) But they'll kick your BFG's ass in the snow and mud, or any other off-road condition.   :chuckle:

Duratracs on jeep and chevy 3/4 crew long box. performing wayyyyy better than BFG's for me.

:tup: :tup:

I spend 6 months a year in the desert and get off road a lot. Also drive over mountain passes between there, wa and montana. I simply don't agree. My one year old A/T 4 1500 has 42K miles doing all of the above. Cannot wait to get these horrible miserable tires off my new beautiful now well used truck.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2021, 02:35:50 PM »
Cooper ST Max or Goodyear Duratrac. My last three sets of tires of been Duratracs and they've outperformed the BFG's and Toyo's by a longshot.

That Duratrac came on our new GMC AT 4. Worst tire I have ever had on a pick up. 20K miles they start getting loud and bad on wet pavement. No noticeable wear. 30K miles they howl and have a nice howl vibration. Currently, at 42K miles they get terrible traction on wet pavement, make the inside of a new truck sound like a Willies Jeep with 1940 military surplus tires. All my rigs have BFGs. Waiting for winter to ditch the misery of the Duratrac hell.

You're correct, they are noisier and outperformed by the BFG's on wet pavement, for sure :) But they'll kick your BFG's ass in the snow and mud, or any other off-road condition.   :chuckle:

Duratracs on jeep and chevy 3/4 crew long box. performing wayyyyy better than BFG's for me.

:tup: :tup:

Smoking crack. Duratraks are junk compared to BFGs from day one. I drive up and down the west cost summer and winter. The Duratraks are probably the worst tire I've ever had on a vehicle

LOLOL.....at 20K, 2 sets of BFG's I had in a row would not pass the penny test (2nd set was warranty to cover the poor performance of the 1st set).....@ 30K I would have been running on my rims. To each their own.  Also, if you are using these typr tires to "drive up and down the west coast"   you may want to look at different tires for highway driving. JS  ;)

I drive up and down the coast. My F 350 is my desert chase truck with KM3's and hauls my tractor down to my property. The Chevy 2500 had the dog box on it with KMO's. 3rd set now. The new 1500 A/T 4 has duratracs. They are barely worn at all. The lack of wear is impressive along with the horrible howling noise which is now louder than worn out KM3's on a 2002 F 350. If you only got 20K miles I think you probably have some serious suspension alignment issues?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
Nope, that would cause some serious uneven wear.
FYI, 90% of my miles are driven on mountain roads, and rough ones. Like I stated, to each their own.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »
FYI, 90% of my miles are driven on mountain roads, and rough ones. Like I stated, to each their own.

You put 20K on a set and already on another set? Thats a ton of off road. Im just hauling a 300 gallon spray tank off road 90% of the time the last 2 weeks spraying my farm and a friends land.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2021, 06:57:48 PM »

You put 20K on a set and already on another set? Thats a ton of off road. Im just hauling a 300 gallon spray tank off road 90% of the time the last 2 weeks spraying my farm and a friends land.

Yes, I spend ALOT of time in the mountains.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 03:19:55 PM »

Will have to look at the hour meter on the new truck. Its pretty high and most is highway driving. Can't imagine how many hours it takes doing 20-30mph or less. I remember wearing out my old Schwab'y RTV's mud terrains on my 85 toyota going from Wenatchee to EBurg and back to Natches all the time. Was running Coopers when I was running around Wenatchee. Those old SST's were great too.
Yes, I spend ALOT of time in the mountains.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »
Im currently on a set of the Duratracs that came on a new chevy trailboss.  I do like them and figure they will be great until the mountain roads are impassable.  Then, for plowed snow covered roads, I still think a quality set of winter tires with studs is the best and thats what Ive done with past trucks.  However, the Duratrac is more aggressive than what I normally run and will probably replace them with an "AT" of the more aggressive variety, just not the bigger lugged open tread type of the more mud terrain style.  Last set I bought was the Falken Wildpeak AT3 and they were very nice.  I didnt get to run them long as I sold that truck but I think thats what Ill put on the new truck once I run out the Duratracs.

Mudders look cool and fling mud for sure, but they have never worn worth a pinch of that Ive seen in my 60+ years.  No longer like ruff ride accompanied with noise.  Only real negative I will add is Ive known plenty of BFG fans and Ive never been impressed with mileage they get out of a tire.  Ive always been quick to get new skin on the wheels and would never run tires down as far as I commonly see others runnem until theyre obviously shot.   :twocents:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 05:20:07 PM »
Trail Boss Chebby

Wore out the duratracs pretty quick, had flat tires within 500 miles, think my 1st was around 120 miles

Replaced with at3, no flats and wearing much better

At3 (with wear) suck in wet packed snow and ice

Going to true winter tires this fall.   

New at3 was pretty good in winter though, so I'd wait till you have wear or extra $ then get real winters

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2021, 11:01:27 AM »
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2021, 11:13:34 AM »
Wanted to give y;all a update. I Forgot I had a set of 31" wranglers that are like brand new stored. I bought some new 16" black wheels and got them all mounted up. Now just got to get the life kit in and then I will get them mounted up.

Thank you all for your feedback. I always like to hear others thoughts and experiences. The good and the bad.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline powderbounder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »
Maxxis Trepador.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2021, 09:57:55 AM »
Wanted to give y;all a update. I Forgot I had a set of 31" wranglers that are like brand new stored. I bought some new 16" black wheels and got them all mounted up. Now just got to get the life kit in and then I will get them mounted up.

Thank you all for your feedback. I always like to hear others thoughts and experiences. The good and the bad.
Curious, how old are the Wranglers?
I had a couple of sets in the mid-nineties that were excellent tires however tires age and get dry and brittle.
Just an FYI....
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg