collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lick Creek permit holders  (Read 6791 times)

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Lick Creek permit holders
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2021, 09:50:14 AM »
Umatilla National Forest is closed
(News release from the Forest Service)

With persistent extreme hot and dry conditions, active large wildfires, limited firefighting resources and concern for public safety, forest officials have temporarily closed the entirety of the Umatilla National Forest effective immediately.

The objective of the closure is to proactively protect public and firefighter safety as the Forest continues to actively suppress large wildfires on the Forest, while also responding to new smoke reports. Hot and dry conditions have challenged firefighters in suppression efforts battling the Lick Creek and Green Ridge Fires on the Pomeroy Ranger District. Additionally, on July 15 the Elbow Creek Fire emerged on the Walla Walla Ranger District, rapidly growing and threatening nearby communities. Overnight, humidity levels have remained extremely low, allowing fires to spread actively. These conditions have created an unprecedented potential for extreme fire spread and intensity. With three active large wildfires on the Umatilla National Forest, compounded by multiple active large wildfires burning across the region, firefighting resources are stretched. Forest officials have implemented the closure for public and firefighter safety.

A full Forest closure means that the public is prohibited from entering any part of Umatilla National Forest at any time, including National Forest lands, roads, trails and recreational facilities. Access on county, state or federal roadways will still be open.

Forest Service personnel will attempt to reach as many people as possible to begin vacating campsites and informing individuals who are camping in the Forest currently. The public should cancel any plans for visiting the Umatilla National Forest for the next several weeks. This is a temporary closure and the Forest will continually assess conditions and lift the closure once the unprecedented conditions moderate.

Violating closures and fire restrictions is a violation that carries a mandatory appearance in federal court, punishable as a Class B misdemeanor with a fine of up to $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or up to six months in prison, or both.

A detailed map and description of the closure area is available on the Forest website and at any Forest office. Closure barriers and signs will be posted on the ground.

Online Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »
As of this morning still holding the south end of the fire good.  We now have a good perimeter around the fire.  Getting some depth in some of the southern lines.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2021, 04:29:55 PM »
You might want to start thinking about the option to turn your tags in. That whole unit might be charcoal here in the next few days.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7615/

You have family down that way dont you?  They OK?
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »
You might want to start thinking about the option to turn your tags in. That whole unit might be charcoal here in the next few days.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7615/

You have family down that way dont you?  They OK?

My wife's family. They're in the outskirts of Pomeroy and are fine. It was a little questionable a week or so ago but that didn't last long.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2021, 06:55:30 PM »
Whew!  I flew over the fire on monday on the way to
Dallas.  Looked terrible
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 02:12:09 PM »
Russ how’s it going?

Seems to be picking up today

Offline Lenkenslawker55

• Pilgrim
    • KYLE DOUGLAS LENKERSDORFER
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2021, 08:02:24 AM »
What’s the path forward? My dad has a mt view arch tag. The fire has been contained basically on the border of lick and mt. View and from talking to firefighters and looking at info online it’s sounding promising we won’t have a fire in the mt view unit.  Once we get some rain and the fire continues to burn out they should open up the access to the national forest, correct? I guess we would just be hoping that occurs around 1st of sept.

What’s the likelihood of wdfw keeping the 4-0 area closed into September?

And I hear about people turning back in their tags and the arguments that follow, but how does that work? My dad won’t turn his tag in but I’m curious. Is it literally you just turn your tag back in and you get your points back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2021, 08:21:53 AM »
You have up until 2 weeks before the start of your hunt to turn your tag back in to WDFW and they will reinstate your points for that category. I may be incorrect here, but I believe you don't gain a point for this year in doing so.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]