collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blue Tongue  (Read 37028 times)

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blue Tongue
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2021, 12:44:08 PM »
Several hunting buddies have been finding quite a few dead deer in Idaho. Was wanting to hunt white tail this year again, but may just settle for a trip in the Frank for Mulies.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2021, 02:05:34 PM »
Does anyone know how the recent rains may affect the outbreak? Will it lessen it?

Everything I have read is, it takes a good frost to kill them.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2021, 03:47:29 PM »
Does anyone know how the recent rains may affect the outbreak? Will it lessen it?

Everything I have read is, it takes a good frost to kill them.
:yeah:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2021, 03:58:05 PM »
Well dang. Hopefully we get a good freeze

Offline hawgwild

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, WA ANG
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »
I was out scouting this last weekend with my FIL and we counted 5 dead deer in the Palouse river in about a 1 mile stretch, pretty disheartening.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2021, 05:21:53 AM »
I was told there have been over 200 dead deer removed from the city of Colville now. Deer sightings are way down, many bucks that hunters have been watching for rifle season have just disappeared. The are areas around alfalfa fields that have a stench to them. Bear have been found feeding on dead deer carcasses.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2021, 06:13:54 AM »
Wow, worst year ever  :(

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2021, 06:53:09 AM »
That means the bear are gonna taste like gut piles.....grossss!! 

I read an article a couple days ago and it seemed most of these outbreaks only last 30-60 days on average.  Not sure if that is true or not, but if so we have to be at the tail end of it.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2021, 08:33:05 AM »
With recent rains the midge population can increase until they freeze out.  Shallow, low oxygen muddy water is perfect for these carriers.  No predators in the shallow water to eat them and warm temps accelerate their life cycle.  Clay soils preventing water absorption and road ruts, previous dry ponds and other water sources increase the vector population.  Time for a hard freeze!!!!

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2021, 08:40:14 AM »
I think they are predicted for the temperature to be back in the high 70s this week in South Canada.
 Usually this time of year we get some really warm weather for a couple of weeks.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2021, 04:00:46 AM »
The neighbors came down to visit us last night.
While we were sitting on the deck the amount of little gnats buzzing around us was ridiculous.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2021, 02:45:00 PM »
I'm rolling up the sprinklers and I can say that the amount of gnats is insane. If you stand still you are swarmed.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
I'm rolling up the sprinklers and I can say that the amount of gnats is insane. If you stand still you are swarmed.
Yeah, wife and I took a walk by Mill Creek the other night.  They chased her back to the truck...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2021, 06:27:16 PM »
I know this may be out there a little bit.
But I for see majors changes coming in hunting seasons,and or other restrictions.
It's sucks that WDFW like to keep population riding this fine line of sustainable population. Then when we have a major event such as this,us hunters will take the hard hit of opportunity.
Anyway some of us or Alot us hunters have been screaming at them for years to take measures to raise the population.
With that said.....
There was and is no way to predict huge events such as this,and being this much more serious year. We all know bluetongue comes through every five years or so.But this year seems really bad.
Just some thoughts that have went through my head.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2021, 03:10:20 PM »
Latest info from WDFW: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/diseases/hemorrhagic

Sorry about the formatting - not having any luck making a clean bullet list

About the EHD/Bluetongue outbreak

• Since mid-August, WDFW biologists across Eastern Washington have been responding to reports of dead and/or dying deer with symptoms of Bluetongue and/or EHD (Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease). 

Hemorrhagic diseases- EHD and Bluetongue- are common viral diseases that mostly affect white-tailed deer, however bighorn sheep and mule deer have been documented with these viruses this year as well.

EHD and Bluetongue are related viruses and have very similar symptoms but are different in that white-tailed deer EHD, while Bluetongue is a well-known disease of domestic sheep, cattle, and goats. 

Humans are not affected by either the EHD or Bluetongue viruses. However, WDFW recommends hunters avoid shooting and consuming animals that are obviously sick.

EHD/Bluetongue are completely separate diseases from Chronic Wasting Disease.

Cases of both EHD and Bluetongue have been confirmed in most Eastern Washington counties, affecting hundreds of deer.

Signs of infection

• Deer in the early stages of hemorrhagic disease may appear lethargic, disoriented, lame, or unresponsive to the presence of humans. As the disease progresses over a few days, the deer may salivate excessively or foam at the mouth, have bloody discharge from the nose, lesions or sores on the mouth, and swollen, sometimes blue-tinged tongues.

EHD and Bluetongue often kill deer so quickly -- within a day or two – that they may still be in very good body condition.

Occurrence and spread

• EHD and Bluetongue occur during the driest part of the year when conditions are favorable for the biting Culicoides gnats (commonly known as midges) that transmit the viruses. The gnats are found in wet, muddy areas where deer may congregate during late summer and early fall, especially in unusually warm, dry years.

The spread of these diseases is usually cut short with colder, wetter weather which spreads the deer out and away from gnat-infested areas; or by the first hard frost, which kills disease-carrying gnats. 

Because the incubation period for these diseases is five to 10 days, afflicted deer may be observed for a couple of weeks after the first hard frost of fall.

Domestic livestock may also be bitten by disease-carrying gnats. Cattle and sheep are seldom seriously affected by EHD, although sheep can be quite susceptible to Bluetongue.

What can be done to prevent EHD/Bluetongue?

• Currently, there is no treatment for animals infected with EHD or Bluetongue.

While we understand that people want to help, putting out food or fresh water sources for wildlife often causes additional problems such as habituating wildlife to humans, and concentrating them in areas where they can attract predators, be hit by vehicles, or transmit disease to each other.

Carcass disposal

• Private property owners are encouraged to dispose of carcass onsite via burial or leave for scavengers if viable. If onsite disposal is not viable you can dispose of the carcasses at a licensed landfill or, in some areas, you can dispose of carcasses in your regular trash. Check with your local solid waste service provider. Also check for rendering options in your area. These methods of removal pose no risk to humans. 

While we understand that having the carcass of an animal killed by EHD or Bluetongue on private property is not desirable, WDFW does not have resources to remove them and we ask for the public’s help.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter