collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blue Tongue  (Read 37055 times)

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
Re: Blue Tongue
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
I am watching a doe just show up in my front pasture. The amount of gnats swarming around her is incredible.  She was hanging around the water trough I drained to keep the water from going stagnant.  Then she was heading to the river.  But has only made it about half way and is now laying down next to the fence. 😫

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2021, 10:36:39 AM »
She got up and moved over the hill to the river.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2021, 02:58:15 PM »
I am watching a doe just show up in my front pasture. The amount of gnats swarming around her is incredible.  She was hanging around the water trough I drained to keep the water from going stagnant.  Then she was heading to the river.  But has only made it about half way and is now laying down next to the fence. 😫
It's a hard pill to swallow,so I feel ya.
Watched one deer do circles in my neighbors yard for about an hour and fall over dead. Another deer,I got up from a nap,and the wife tells me ,at least ten cars have stoped by our shop. I said ,did you go look ,might be another deer out there dying. Just then I see this deer come down to a busy road by our place. Stands there next to road tail wagging,looking like a normal deer waiting for traffic.
Traffic clears out a little bit jumps down onto road ,just standing there,cars start backing up and they start going around her. This goes on for like 5 minutes.Then she falls over laying on her side ,but still alive,cars still going around.
So I'm like holy crap,I go in the house to grab a pair of work gloves ,cause I don't want to drag this live deer off the road without gloves. Right as I come out the house ,here comes this truck ,and she is laying down pretty flat. I swear this deer sticks its head up in the air just enough ,game over.

I do feel ya ,it's one thing to hear about it ,but to watch it is a little out there.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2021, 03:32:42 PM »
I believe that it's a crying shame the WDFW promotes a false narrative in the 2021 hunting forecast to the sportsman. They are also requiring if you are successful that you need to get them a sample for testing. I saw that site are only open on the weekends over here. Which means you will have to find a official who can accommodate this for the test.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2021, 04:24:53 PM »
We have found 8 so far, 5 on on our place. There are probably more but I lost the ability to smell after covid. My wife told me to move along when I stopped in our field to look at this buck, I guess it was pretty bad. Either the coyotes are full on dead and dyeing deer or they don't eat blue tongue deer. I've never seen a dead deer last more than a day or two.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of fawns sticking together without any adult does around. The 2 does I hauled off were nursing does.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2021, 04:38:10 PM »
They are full, to many to keep up

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
I was told there have been over 200 dead deer removed from the city of Colville now. Deer sightings are way down, many bucks that hunters have been watching for rifle season have just disappeared. The are areas around alfalfa fields that have a stench to them. Bear have been found feeding on dead deer carcasses.

Bearpaw I have asked this question in the thread but the more I read I am increasingly curious as a new-ish hunter: I have a Palouse white tail rifle hunt in November and as a considerate hunter I am seriously thinking about canceling my hunt so as not to add more pressure to an already suffering population. What are your thoughts on this as a veteran hunter?

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2021, 06:04:33 PM »
I was told there have been over 200 dead deer removed from the city of Colville now. Deer sightings are way down, many bucks that hunters have been watching for rifle season have just disappeared. The are areas around alfalfa fields that have a stench to them. Bear have been found feeding on dead deer carcasses.

Bearpaw I have asked this question in the thread but the more I read I am increasingly curious as a new-ish hunter: I have a Palouse white tail rifle hunt in November and as a considerate hunter I am seriously thinking about canceling my hunt so as not to add more pressure to an already suffering population. What are your thoughts on this as a veteran hunter?
why don’t you call the bio in that area and ask them how hard there getting hit in Whitman county. Make your decision based on what he says. I’d turn that tag back in regardless. The tag isn’t worth points :twocents:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2021, 06:18:34 PM »
 :yeah:

The odds of a good hunt are several orders of magnitude over the odds of drawing again, not to mention the odds you draw again and conditions are better.  We're riding downhill, get what you can when you can is what I would be thinking.

Offline jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »
I am not hunting Washington this year.  Our Palouse whitetail are getting hammered….it’s worse than 2015 in the areas I traditionally hunt.

Sucks too.  Early in harvest, deer numbers were the best we’d seen in a long time.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
We have found 8 so far, 5 on on our place. There are probably more but I lost the ability to smell after covid. My wife told me to move along when I stopped in our field to look at this buck, I guess it was pretty bad. Either the coyotes are full on dead and dyeing deer or they don't eat blue tongue deer. I've never seen a dead deer last more than a day or two.
My wife and I have talked about it a bit.
How the coyote and crows won't touch these dead deer .
And it was a little strange,I came home from bear hunting and was taking a nap before I had to go to work.
When I got home ,I seen a coyote jump the busy road and go up the hill,few hours later a sick deer comes down hill and dies.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of fawns sticking together without any adult does around. The 2 does I hauled off were nursing does.
Same exact thing happening around my place.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »
And it was a little strange,I came home from bear hunting and was taking a nap before I had to go to work.
When I got home ,I seen a coyote jump the busy road and go up the hill,few hours later a sick deer comes down hill and dies.
I'm seeing crows and magpies on them.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2021, 10:07:12 AM »
I'm seeing crows and magpies on them.
Are you ,well that's kinda a relief in a since,cause the one I seen lay there for almost a week. Didn't see one crow,or anything eat on it. And I was like good God the crows won't even eat it. And I've seen crows eat roadkill skunk and all kinds of nasty.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]