collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 49 degrees north early moose tag 2021  (Read 3470 times)

Offline ninjahunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
49 degrees north early moose tag 2021
« on: September 14, 2021, 09:44:46 AM »
I've been out the last month and a half scouting clear cuts, marshy areas, steep cold draws where water is, all throughout 117. I know the hot weather we've had plays a factor but I've only managed to see one mature bull the rest have been around 1 to 4 years old. I've put countless hours glassing and miles on everything I own to the point I had to buy new boots and tires. anyone have any advice, suggestions or pro tips of what I'm doing right or wrong? Opening day coming fast October 1st!!!

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
Re: 49 degrees north early moose tag 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »
How far in do you want to hike? Ran across two nice bulls, that also were in the same basin last year, this last weekend.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »
Learn to call moose.  Use both cow and bull calls.  The bulls should be in the rut that time of year.  If you’ve found cows in your travels…..look in those areas.   Should be a good hunt.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »
Learn to call moose.  Use both cow and bull calls.  The bulls should be in the rut that time of year.  If you’ve found cows in your travels…..look in those areas.   Should be a good hunt.

:yeah:  The rut will change things. Call and be patient. We had a bull a few years ago take about an hour to come into our calls
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline ninjahunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 10:04:39 AM »
How far in do you want to hike? Ran across two nice bulls, that also were in the same basin last year, this last weekend.

Pm'd you.

Offline ninjahunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »

:yeah:  The rut will change things. Call and be patient. We had a bull a few years ago take about an hour to come into our calls

I've practiced my calling my buddy can call, we will just have to work on our patience. should I expect to sit in one place and call for 1 to 2 hours?

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 10:17:48 AM »

I've practiced my calling my buddy can call, we will just have to work on our patience. should I expect to sit in one place and call for 1 to 2 hours?

Never hunted moose in Washington, but if it’s anything like our hunts in Canada…..we sit and call sometimes all day.   The bulls move a ton that time of year.   Call, wit 10-15 min, call again, repeat.   Listen for the bull gluncks….they will give themselves away with that glunck sound.   

We also will call, wait half hour, move 1/4 mile, call again….repeat.   

Neither of these matter of there are no moose to hear you so call in areas that have moose sign or where you know cows are. 

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »

When I was with a good buddy who had a Selkirk tag, we would drive or sometimes hike from location to location and do call sequences. We often gave it 10-15 minutes for a response before moving along. If you do get a response but they go silent, don't assume they aren't still coming towards you. Bulls move slow and methodically and can also cover a good amount of ground looking for the source.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 11:14:49 AM »
This was a few years ago but my dad got his bull near the ski area flowery trail road. It has probably changed a lot but moose were in some sweet smelling willow like brush.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 06:31:54 AM »
Should be a lot better once the rut kicks in hard. Don’t forget to bring an army with you to pack it out or stay close to the rd.  Thankfully I had an army when I got mine.  Very fun hunt!  Good luck

Offline cmiller85

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 07:17:34 AM »
I wouldn't change a thing. Now until Oct. 15th you'll start having a lot better luck as the rut kicks in with your strategy. I'd cover as much ground as possible, grunting and cow calling every little drainage and cut for miles. Personally, I wouldn't sit in one spot and call for hours. If you get within range, they'll more than likely give you a response during the rut. Keep an eye out for their rut pits. They like do make those in the roads since they use roads to travel. That will give you an idea if a bull is in the area.

Glassing, with rare exception, isn't a good option being so thick. I'd focus on the 3,000 to 5,000 feet range in elevation.

The 1st couple hours before light and before dark are your best bet to hear them grunting. They will do it on their own most of the time. Just get to a good vantage point and listen far and wide while calling at these times.

Unfortunately, moose aren't what they were 10 years ago where you were tripping over them everywhere. Hearing 2-3 bulls grunting every morning and evening, almost anywhere you went, was the norm it seemed. They were a nuisance almost, trying to hunt elk. Now I can go 8-9 days and not even hear a grunt some years. The wolves have put a serious hurt on them.

They are still their, obviously, but it just makes the hunting way harder. So, I wouldn't say your doing anything wrong wearing out boots. Do what you did the last 6 weeks and you'll see a noticable difference in the next 4 weeks with the rut. So keep at it, and good luck!

Offline HUNT JR

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 08:05:13 AM »
One thing I have seen, and did last year on my brothers moose hunt, was call at night as well. We did some calling sequences during the night and the next morning there was a bull in the area that was not there before. Could be worth trying as the rut fires up.

Offline ninjahunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »
Thank you everyone for the advice and info I will put all of it to use in two weeks.

Offline Dirty Mike

• Longhunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 12:48:46 PM »
Also it's hard to Judge age by looking at them. Mine in my profile pic was 4yrs old and my buddies was 8

Offline tluns

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »
All the scouting I did last summer in that area I didn’t see but a handful of animals. They hold up tight in the cool thick stuff. Once the rut started I saw/heard them every day.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]