collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is It That Common  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Ronquillo08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Is It That Common
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 10:36:38 AM »

Vey legit question and far from an "excuse". I don't elk hunt so I can comment on that specifically. However there are a few pheasant release sites that I don't take my dog and son to on weekends because of seeing past fights both human and dog over a silly bird.  That is not an excuse just looking out for the family I love. BTW...welcome to Hunt WA...most of the people are really nice and provide useful information/answers/conversation...most but not all  ;)

Thanks BD1, I appreciate both the advice and the welcome. :tup:
It only takes one man to turn something that you love doing, into something that you despise.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 10:50:58 AM »
Wouldn’t let the one off stories keep me from hunting.   I have heard stories but always take them with a grain of salt.   Remember your only hearing one side of the story and it is likely exaggerated a bit. 

Also….assume it happens to you, just walk away….no elk is worth confrontation that involves weapons.   Call the cops / gamies and let them sort it out.   Really simple

Gamie honors the first tag to be attached to the carcass, regardless of shooter.

That may be the case...but they will deal with firearms being pointed at peoples faces and threats to others lives.  That is a criminal offense that will land those people in jail.  Especially if you have witnesses or video.

Oh ya, 100%

Bring your gopro  :drool:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 11:20:34 AM »
I would say it is not common in Washington. I have seen instances where one hunter cripples an animal, another hunter shoots it and it dies. In these instances there could be some disagreement over who the dead animal rightfully belongs to.

The term “reduced to possession” is part of some state’s hunting laws but not Washington’s.

Here’s an interesting article from 1954: https://www.atg.wa.gov/ago-opinions/game-animals-hunting-legal-right-hunters-tag-animals-shot-other-hunters-crimes-larceny

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 11:28:47 AM »
I would say it is not common in Washington. I have seen instances where one hunter cripples an animal, another hunter shoots it and it dies. In these instances there could be some disagreement over who the dead animal rightfully belongs to.

The term “reduced to possession” is part of some state’s hunting laws but not Washington’s.

Here’s an interesting article from 1954: https://www.atg.wa.gov/ago-opinions/game-animals-hunting-legal-right-hunters-tag-animals-shot-other-hunters-crimes-larceny

Bob: That's a great find!  I had "known" this most of my life, but I had never seen a legal opinion.  Thank you for sharing.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 11:37:43 AM »
Had it happen once while hunting with a buddy that shot a nice buck (we walked away instead of getting into a gunfight), but have never heard of it happening on an elk.  Friend of mine and I came across a downed cow that had just been shot fairly close to us.  We waited until we could hear the hunter getting closer and then hollered to let him know where we and his elk were at.  Then we helped him and his group haul it out, and they gave us a few beers to say thank you.

That's how it should be  :tup:

Offline Ronquillo08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 12:08:20 PM »
Had it happen once while hunting with a buddy that shot a nice buck (we walked away instead of getting into a gunfight), but have never heard of it happening on an elk.  Friend of mine and I came across a downed cow that had just been shot fairly close to us.  We waited until we could hear the hunter getting closer and then hollered to let him know where we and his elk were at.  Then we helped him and his group haul it out, and they gave us a few beers to say thank you.

That's how it should be  :tup:

I 100% agree.
It only takes one man to turn something that you love doing, into something that you despise.

Offline Ronquillo08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 12:09:35 PM »
 :yeah:

Bob: That's a great find!  I had "known" this most of my life, but I had never seen a legal opinion.  Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing.

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »
Rare exceptions I would say no days considering the use of cameras and cell phones.
I know of guy who was a local regular to an area that would fly his buddies and friends in from the east coast and one year a nasty group of guys took his bull at gun point. Unfortunately this guy from the east coast had his first bull taken at not only knife point, but gun point as well. Would be a horrible first experience.
The guy got him on a really nice bull for w.washington and put the kill shot in him and it went down. They hiked up to it and as they were standing over the bull celebrating a couple guys come out from the brush claiming it to be theirs resulting in the lead guy pulling his knife and the guy behind him jacking a shell and pointing it at them.
They left and hiked to the their vehicles to call the gammies and whatever support they could get from the LEO's. Once they authorities arrived they took them back to the kill site only to find the gut pile and blood. All the could do was provide descriptions but nothing of any value.

I also know of a handful of instances guns and knives being pulled on kills up out of Kidd Valley back in the 90s where LEO's would be called in on, a few occasions there were some injuries where coming out the 19 mile gate there would be an ambulance or two loading someone up.

Sad but it has and probably will continue to happen so as long as lazy, worthless, no good people are in the woods.

Help a fellow hunter take care of the animal and have some pride in the sport we love. Who knows, you might meet your next hunting partner!
Some animals WERE harmed in the making of this Hunter. They were also dragged through the dirt, butchered and tasted delicious fried with butter and bacon.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 02:20:54 PM »
Welcome to hunt wa
Nothing wrong with that question.Take your son out and enjoy the time in the woods
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Online elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »
A guy I used to work with was dressing out his bull in the white river back when it had a general season and was held at gun point by a few hill billies. I definitely believe his story his blood pressure was going through the roof as he was telling me and it’s been like 15 years prior that it had happened
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 04:57:47 PM »
My wife was hunting in wilkeson w her dad when she was just a kid, he’d shot a 4 point Blacktail. While he was gutting it out they had 2 guys walk up and point their rifle in his direction and say that’s our deer. He just picked up his stuff grabbed his daughter and got out of there.  Well, her  dads brother was Terry Hoffer, a local warden.  Well, Ron got his deer back!! I have the antlers on the wall today. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 04:58:21 PM »
I saw a few scuffles break out when they used to have the shooting gallery late cow hunts in the Wenas but the place was crawling with wardens so it all got worked out. I only saw one guy get marched off with the bracelets on.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 05:54:03 PM »
Winston in the 90s
Had a cousin who flew out from back East to elk hunt
Took him down there camped at kid valley
Drove up near camp 9 hunted all morning
He got a shot on a spike bull,( legal back then)
Told him if shoots one and it’s a good shot
Give it a few minutes and then blood track it
He did
Found it as the OP described
Guy dressing and quartering it
He said hey that’s my elk
Guy never even looked up just kept cutting on it
He said hey did you hear me
Guy never looked up
Finally my cousin just walked away
Meats not worth dying over 🔫
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 06:00:00 PM »
It happened to me in the Umtanum unit, about 22-23 years ago.  The WDFW used to issue late cow tags for that unit for the whole month of December. 

I had seen a bunch of elk in a draw the evening before, and was there before shooting hours the next morning.  Sure enough, at first light there they were, about 130-140 yards away.  I used my pack as a rest, and hammered a big cow.  By the time I picked up my pack, hiked down into the draw and up the other side, there were three guys standing by my elk.  There was only one shot that morning........mine.  However, these three guys were quite adamant that it was their elk, so I just hiked back to my truck.

The bummer was that it snowed 2' over the next week in that unit, so my season was done.

molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 07:35:57 PM »
I was with my brother when he killed his first buck . When we got to the deer it was gone . Found it over a small ridge with a guy gutting it . I damn near beat the hell out of the guy . Brother said let him have it , not worth it . Another time I shot a deer ( high shoulder on his right side ) across a canyon and he dropped in his tracks . Watched him for 20ish minutes before I made my way to the deer , never moved an inch . Took about 45 minutes to get to the deer and about 30 minutes into the hike I hear 3 shots . Find the deer and someone gutting it out . I walk up all nonchalantly and asked where did you shoot it . He responded 1st was a little far back , second missed and 3rd was lungs . I pointed out my bullet entrance , the  ONLY hole in the deer  . Called him a POS lier and walked away.

Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal