collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote Etiquette  (Read 6109 times)

Offline JRRJ2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Coyote Etiquette
« on: September 22, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »
Hello all,

I am not a Coyote hunter but was wondering about etiquette. I was out scouting for deer MF season and came across 2 coyote corpses probably 200 yards apart. both had clearly been shot and then left there. Based on decomp and weather my guess would be they were shot sometime mid summer. They were also more than a mile into the backwoods (off trail/road). Is this normal for hunters to shoot them and leave them? it seems a waste of a pelt and even if they are considered a pest and are a predator it looks disrespectful to the animal. Just curious if that is common or not.

Thank you.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Coyote Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »
Hello all,

I am not a Coyote hunter but was wondering about etiquette. I was out scouting for deer MF season and came across 2 coyote corpses probably 200 yards apart. both had clearly been shot and then left there. Based on decomp and weather my guess would be they were shot sometime mid summer. They were also more than a mile into the backwoods (off trail/road). Is this normal for hunters to shoot them and leave them? it seems a waste of a pelt and even if they are considered a pest and are a predator it looks disrespectful to the animal. Just curious if that is common or not.

Thank you.

Just gets composted. Think of all the bugs and birds and etc getting a nice free meal. Could be the fur in summer was not worth the effort.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Learo2000GT

• Tracker
Coyote Etiquette
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
Yeah I have struggled with that as well. Hard shooting something you don’t eat. But in summer I will dispatch them to help control the population. . If you get one in the winter a prepared pelt was close to 100 bucks last time I checked at auction.  That is if it’s got a nice winter coat.   I would imagine most people see them as pests.   Fur market is making a come back.  I am thinking of running a trap line this year.  I use to love trapping as a kid.  That said I have not read Washington hunting regulations so not sure what restrictions are like. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
I think it is fairly common but as you pointed out no respect to the animal. I have always been one that takes the pelt and sometimes the skull. Unless mange is really bad. I have known a few that just shoot and want to leave all of them. But I will never do that. Don't agree with it. It is fun to target them and enjoy time spent afield but always do what you can to give respect to the animal harvested. Everyones views are different. And some manage for other reasons such as farming practices and I understand management due to lively hood as well.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 11:20:12 AM »
Common here.  Birds make short work of the carcasses, vultures and eagles on them til theres nothing much left for the magpies.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »
A standing rule on one ranch that I have hunted is you're required to shoot all coyotes and if you miss, you owe $100 to the rancher.

They're a nasty creature to have around during the spring birthing season from what I hear.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 12:38:47 PM »
I don't save pelts from coyotes.  I kill gophers and moles too, pretty much the same category in my mind.  I'd shoot the seal that stole my fish and broke my lucky flasher this morning as well if I could do so legally.

Nothing really goes to waste in the world, something else benefits.

Online Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 12:54:33 PM »
How is having his skin hanging on your wall or skull on your desk any more respectful than letting nature take it's course on the body? Dead is dead, as long as it was legally and humanely killed the rest is irrelevant

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 05:31:38 PM »
Holy moly I sure hope I'm not a sinner for shooting sage rats and leaving them because I've killed literally thousands of those things over the course of my time.  Sure hope that doesn't mean I'm taking the elevator to the lower level when my time comes.  :yike:

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 05:38:41 PM »
Shoot em and leave em.  Unless you want the pelt or tail for a bounty somewhere.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
I see em
And it’s legal
Boom
Have a nice day🤪
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 06:03:39 PM »
Coyote etiquette: If one gives you a clear shot you shoot it. That's the law of the land!  :dunno:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 06:14:19 PM »
Old farmers would string them up on the bob wire or fence post .
As a deterrent to keep other coyote away.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
I shoot em and leave them. It’s more bait for the other coyotes (yes they will eat each other) and keeps them away temporarily from my calves and chickens. A few years ago my neighbor placed a dead cow where I could see it from the house. I killed 26 coyotes off of it snd never picked one up. They were eaten as fast as the cow. I had  a fresh carcass delivered last week. Killed only 2 so far but that will pick up.

Offline Learo2000GT

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 07:06:03 PM »
I shoot em and leave them. It’s more bait for the other coyotes (yes they will eat each other) and keeps them away temporarily from my calves and chickens. A few years ago my neighbor placed a dead cow where I could see it from the house. I killed 26 coyotes off of it snd never picked one up. They were eaten as fast as the cow. I had  a fresh carcass delivered last week. Killed only 2 so far but that will pick up.
Man now having a bait pipe like that would be amazing.    If you ever need help let me know.  I could use a lesson or 2 my self. 

In Montana I always hunted Wolfs and coyotes over the got piles and was amazed how quickly they would get in it once the felt the course was clear. 

My boss lease the hunting rights at a ranch in Thompson  falls Montana and it was simply amazing how quickly the Wolfe’s populated with no management by hunters.  Looked like a bone yard and all the deer moved into town. Standing in front yards ane half starved.   

So I had zero issues with taking a few out.    In wa state it seams like more rules are passed to keep predators protected and the deer and elk population suffers.  So I see it as a way of doing my part to balance the eco system.   The Wolfe’s I get made them into wall hanging but coyotes I just leave them where there at unless winter and I get a nice clean shot on one that doesn’t blow it a part then I will sometimes skin, stretch and tan the hide. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10