collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Spring Bear 2022 cancelled!  (Read 50146 times)

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: WDFW Spring Bear 2022 cancelled!
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2021, 01:07:30 PM »
Are we trying to manufacture solutions to a hypothetical problem?

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #286 on: November 27, 2021, 01:13:03 PM »
Returning to "status quo" would be far easier to obtain over adding provisions that would have to be approved by wdfw.  Since they were/are ok with status quo, just leave it at that.  Keep it a simple reversal. No confusion, no changes, nothing more to enforce, same~same rules.    :twocents:

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #287 on: November 27, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »
Returning to "status quo" would be far easier to obtain over adding provisions that would have to be approved by wdfw.  Since they were/are ok with status quo, just leave it at that.  Keep it a simple reversal. No confusion, no changes, nothing more to enforce, same~same rules.    :twocents:
:yeah:
We should be advocating for liberalization of seasons and take statewide. I  have zero problems with the season staying either sex with some outreach and education about sows with cubs.  Sow without, fair game. Even if you shoot a sow with cubs the population is very capable of sustaining.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #288 on: November 27, 2021, 01:23:32 PM »
We should be advocating for liberalization of seasons and take statewide. I  have zero problems with the season staying either sex with some outreach and education about sows with cubs.  Sow without, fair game. Even if you shoot a sow with cubs the population is very capable of sustaining.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #289 on: November 27, 2021, 01:47:18 PM »
That would be great and all.
But when you listen to the anti-hunters arguments in these past meetings ,that has resulted in a season being in pause mode.
Easier said than done. Maybe I'm wrong ,will just ask for the season back and see how that pans out.
I'm 100% positive it should be just that easy.

Just my opinion
Half of the anti-hunters want to end all hunting
25% anti-hunters don't want sows with cubs hunted at all.
And the other 25% said.
To much fall harvest due to two tags
Sow with cubs
Spring hunt is not fair chase
Big game hunting in the spring should be banned,so animals can have a break from being hunted.
And just overall don't want you to hunt in the spring.

So if you guys have any better ideas ,or brainstorm,to combat these anti-hunters ,please let's hear it before the next commission meeting.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 01:56:50 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Clark33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2021, 05:01:03 PM »
What the anti's don't realize is, who's gonna foot the bill for wildlife conservation/management if hunting gets banned?  Disconnected people voicing opinions on policies that they have no skin in the game in. 

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »
What the anti's don't realize is, who's gonna foot the bill for wildlife conservation/management if hunting gets banned?  Disconnected people voicing opinions on policies that they have no skin in the game in.

they dont care, and at one time they tried to fold DNR PArks and WDFW together. Likely to weaken the influence of sportsmen
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #292 on: November 27, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »

they dont care, and at one time they tried to fold DNR PArks and WDFW together. Likely to weaken the influence of sportsmen
I don't think sportsman realize how much the antis would like them and their money out of the equation. Especially in this state! The general fund only needs a signature to fill the gap. 

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2021, 06:58:34 PM »

I don't think sportsman realize how much the antis would like them and their money out of the equation. Especially in this state! The general fund only needs a signature to fill the gap.

This is one area where I have personally been conflicted and wrong. I have not purchased a license out of anger and spite. The department didn't feel it, AND the department does not connect my Lic sales with Pitman Roberts funds. I think this is both wrong and short sited of them but they do no t see them connected even tho Lic sales numbers and funds are. Even tho I believe they are wrong, it doesn't mater how stupid I think they are only how much my action will effect them. This is why I WANT boycotts to work but realize they only further Anti Hunters agenda. As sportsmen we are going to need to be both specific AND cooperative. 2 things we as a group are not known for.

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #294 on: November 27, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »

True, you can't assume their version of conservation is the same as ours.  It's easy to sue for funding of the ESA species they want worked on and the rest will just be whatever they be.  Nature will take its course, with a few friendly nudges as necessary.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2021, 07:49:20 PM »

True, you can't assume their version of conservation is the same as ours.  It's easy to sue for funding of the ESA species they want worked on and the rest will just be whatever they be.  Nature will take its course, with a few friendly nudges as necessary.
Heck no there version of conservation is not the same.
You didn't know the commission is in the process of changing the definition of conservation.
How doomed are we now.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline harveymarv

• Hunter
« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2021, 08:06:02 PM »
What we really need is a PAC, petitioning the ant-hunters is not a high probability event.  We need to create and fund a citizen's initiative, the Spring Bear Protection Act.  The purpose of the act is to protect vulnerable spring bear by directing the Department to only issue limited spring permits across the entire state in every GMU, require pelt inspection on 100% of harvested bears and impose penalties on hunters who violate department rules.

Hunters in WA have one PAC via the Hunters Heritage Council (HHC):

http://huntersheritagecouncil.org/hhc-pac.html

All of this was predicted in January when Smith was appointed:

https://nwsportsmanmag.com/wdfw-commission-changes-raise-eyebrows/

Unfortunately I agree with Stein that minorities (like hunters) don't do as well with petitions and proactive steps as majorities (westside liberals). I still signed the petition, but I would guess it won't change anything. However, minorities do have rights protected by laws.

IMHO the action most likely to maybe get this changed by spring would be to get the HHC to enlist the help of some national pro-hunting organizations like the Sportsman's Alliance (https://www.sportsmensalliance.org/contact/) in order to organize an exploration of legal options. Maybe a lawsuit is in order. I would contribute $$, and I'm sure many hunters in WA would as well. Seems Lorna Smith has gone on record with her bias and violated her duty and there should be legal avenue to invalidate this vote and get her tossed off the commission.

I'm sending this thread url to HHC (maybe they've already seen it) to see if we can get something going.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2021, 08:32:40 PM »

Heck no there version of conservation is not the same.
You didn't know the commission is in the process of changing the definition of conservation.
How doomed are we now.

The writing is certainly on the wall and it's in plain English for all to read.

Offline Hunter4Life

• supreme predator, hunter, carnivore, political animal, warrior for hunter's rights
  • Hunter
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Groups: HHC, WWC, Hunting Works for Washington, SCI, Sportsmen's Alliance, NRA
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2021, 09:22:04 PM »

Tbar, everything you said is spot on.  The animal-rights and the anti's would love to see the sportsmen and our money out of the picture.  If they could get the legislature to eliminate licenses, they could do it in a heartbeat, so they could say we contribute nothing. 

This next session is going to be really tough.  It is not a budget session and we lost our best friend in Brian Blake as Chair of the House Natural Resources Chair.  We could always count on him killing all the bad stuff in his committee.  We have anti's chairing both Natural Resources Committees.  Chapman is a horrible replacement for Blake.  VanDeWege in the Senate doesn't get any worse.  He is as anti-hunting as you can get, and Solomon as Vice Chair is almost as bad as he is.  They are going to repackage that horrible HB 1375 under a different bill number.  We as hunters need a long and short term strategy.  Both for the Commission and the legislature.  The Hunters Heritage Council has killed every anti-hunting bill since 1996, but this session will be our toughest.  If we survive this session, I think 2023 will be better.

I would love for our PAC to get help, but I think Tbar laid a good long-term strategy for the Commission for spring bear.  I think we need to pressure senate natural resources committee for a conformation vote on Lorna Smith.
If guns kill people, then…
- pencils misspell words.
- cars make people drive drunk.
- spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.

Offline JeepWrangler

• Tracker
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Wa, Washington State Bowhunters, Pope and Young
« Reply #299 on: November 28, 2021, 05:02:19 AM »
Hi harveymarv,

Thank-you for your post.

I am embarrassed to say I did not know of Hunters Heritage Council.

That is my bad.

I have reached out to them to find out how I can be of help.

Thank-you
Member: Washingtonians For Wildlife Conservation
Member: Wildlife Committee of Washington
Member: Washington State Bowhunters
Financial Supporter: Blood Origins
Member: Western Bear Foundation
Pope & Young Book: Washington Black Bear

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter