collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for a decent place for Dove/Pheasant  (Read 1329 times)

Offline tpksunshine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Looking for a decent place for Dove/Pheasant
« on: October 15, 2021, 01:46:30 AM »
I'm hoping to find an 'easy(ish)' spot to get my son into hunting. He is in the process of taking hunters ED, and I'd rather not go out 5 times and get skunked each time. Not looking for any honey holes or anything. Just general locations. Located in the Tri-Cities area. How is McNary for upland bird? I go there for waterfowl, but haven't really checked it for upland much. How is Sunnyside? I've never hunted that area before. Any ideas on the pheasant release program? I'm not sure how to check how many hatches they got this year.

I have a dog that I'm working hard, has a great nose, and has already jumped several pheasant 20yrds out on training sessions.

Maybe turkey would be a good idea too? I'm not sure what would really sink this in with him. He is rather apprehensive still. My 5 year old is begging to take hunter ED already.

I realize I'm a little late to the punch here. Trying to play a little catch-up and hopefully make next year even better.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/tips!

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Looking for a decent place for Dove/Pheasant
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 04:58:51 AM »
Like anything else the birds are where you find them. You can try the release sites but you’ll typically have more pressure. I drive roads near home, look for birds, and knock on doors. Make sure your son is with you when you knock! It works, be prepared to hear no several times before yes comes up. Good luck and be safe!!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal