collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knife / Knives for a gift help....  (Read 4392 times)

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Knife / Knives for a gift help....
« on: October 25, 2021, 10:41:45 AM »
One of the fondest memories I have as a child is getting my first buck knife from my dad.  It was a Christmas gift and it was a super nice knife for the time.  I have bought my boy some cheap knives over the years, anticipating they would be lost or just not used.  I have done most of my kids gutting and skinning to this point.....that is about to change.  My son took a ton of interest on his hunts this year with skinning and gutting.  I think it is time for me to buy him a quality knife....one that will last years and have meaning, much like my first buck knife. 

So....what knives would you recommend for a 12 y.o.

I want a leather sheath, good to great quality, one I can have engraved.  What about knives of alaska?  Any other thoughts?   

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
Re: Knife / Knives for a gift help....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
Be careful about making it ‘too fancy’. Not sure a 12 year old would have an issue using it, but I did with one given to me.
Have a good friend that had a super nice high end fancy knife made for me. It came in a fancy display box too.
He envisioned it worn and well used over the years.
Well, it has stayed in the fancy box, on display, and is as pristine as the day he gave it to me. It is so nice I don’t want to use it as I have quality ‘work horse’ knives, and if I ever seriously damaged it or lost it I would be very sad about it. So, on display it is.
The meaning of the gift will be that it came from you.
I take it your Buck served (serves) you well? Reminds you your Dad gave it to you?
There is your answer.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
Roe Morris builds some incredible knives my father has had one made for all of us boys and we have done the same for him  too notch quality , holds a very nice edge and leather sheath

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 11:09:49 AM »
Be careful about making it ‘too fancy’. Not sure a 12 year old would have an issue using it, but I did with one given to me.
Have a good friend that had a super nice high end fancy knife made for me. It came in a fancy display box too.
He envisioned it worn and well used over the years.
Well, it has stayed in the fancy box, on display, and is as pristine as the day he gave it to me. It is so nice I don’t want to use it as I have quality ‘work horse’ knives, and if I ever seriously damaged it or lost it I would be very sad about it. So, on display it is.
The meaning of the gift will be that it came from you.
I take it your Buck served (serves) you well? Reminds you your Dad gave it to you?
There is your answer.

I 100% agree with your statements and why I am looking for a good quality workhorse.  Not looking at a custom for that exact reason.  My buck is laying on my reloading bench being used for opening boxes and cutting small things around the shop.  The blade has been sharpened so many times, I bet it has lost 1/3 of it's overall height.... :chuckle: :chuckle: 

I don't want to buy him an outdoor edge or other cheap but very functional knife.  I want him to have a nice rig with nice leather sheath to wear on his belt.  I want it to be used and abused.   I want it to last a lifetime.

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »
Still have my first Buck knife and it also has lost a lot of steel.

I’d recommend a benchmade.
https://www.benchmade.com/hidden-canyon-hunter-family-hunt.html

Online bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »
I still have my first hunting knife that my grandfather gave me.  It is the old black handled Buck knife like the one used in the Scream movies.  I pack it with me every year and use it for breaking animals down because you just can't break or chip those heavy blades.  It is definitely a work horse, I use the havalon or outdoor edge for most skinning and field dressing but the old Buck gets bloody every year regardless.  Other knives have come and gone but it will be with me as long as I am still hunting.
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 06:48:13 PM »
I bought my son an engraved Leatherman when he crossed over into Boy Scouts.  Not a skinning knife for sure, but he'll get a ton of use out of it for a long time.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »
You might contact rainshadow1 on here.

One of his sons makes knives relatively inexpensively, and I was impressed enough I think I bought about 7 total.
All were very nice.

If he's still in business, he might make you a custom knife at a reasonable price.

I was just super impressed with his workmanship.

Check out the young man's work:
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,246491.0.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:06:29 PM by Dan-o »
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Online fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 09:40:39 PM »
While it doesn't come with a leather sheath, it comes with a kydex one, I bought a Benchmade steep country before this season and I am beyond impressed.  I've field dressed, skinned, caped out 2 deer now and haven't even touched it to a sharpener and it is still scary sharp.  If the sheath is a deal breaker you could maybe have someone build you one.  I can't wear a knife on my belt while wearing a pack, it drives me insane.  May be worth a look anyhow.  I've now had Buck, Outdoor Edge, and a Kodi Pack.  I'll take the steep country hands down.  Good luck on your search.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »
You might contact rainshadow1 on here.

One of his sons makes knives relatively inexpensively, and I was impressed enough I think I bought about 7 total.
All were very nice.

If he's still in business, he might make you a custom knife at a reasonable price.

I was just super impressed with his workmanship.

Check out the young man's work:
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,246491.0.html

Dan-o  , You beat me to it, couple of great knife makers here on the forum if your looking for an original quality blade.   :tup:

I have a knife my grandpa gave me, not super fancy or nice but represented pride in country, carried it in pocket for years still in nightstand.
Have a few old school hunting knives that were dads. Also have one fancy knife from parents, not the kind of knife you use the kind that you keep and pass along.  I'll never part with any of them unless it is to a future generation.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Rat44

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF,NRA,GOA
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 03:32:08 AM »
I bought my son a Buck 112 folder earlier this year as a gift.
Was the new clip point version .
Buck has custom engraving available .
I use a Buck 103 skinner myself which is also available on line with custom options.
A great hunting knife.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 05:49:10 AM »
Knives make a great gift for a young hunter
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »
Like a bunch of people on here, I think a Buck would be a good choice. My 110 folder has been serving me well for almost 30 years now & is still working great.  But if you’re looking for something a little further up the price ladder, Benchmade makes some great knives, as does Knives of Alaska.

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »
I still have my Schrade Scrimshaw Sharp finger that my dad gave me as a christmas gift. I used it for several years but decided to retire it a few years ago for my Buck 110 and Buck 103. I think what ever knife you get him will have special meaning.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 12:57:32 PM »
One of the fondest memories I have as a child is getting my first buck knife from my dad.  It was a Christmas gift and it was a super nice knife for the time.  I have bought my boy some cheap knives over the years, anticipating they would be lost or just not used.  I have done most of my kids gutting and skinning to this point.....that is about to change.  My son took a ton of interest on his hunts this year with skinning and gutting.  I think it is time for me to buy him a quality knife....one that will last years and have meaning, much like my first buck knife. 

So....what knives would you recommend for a 12 y.o.

I want a leather sheath, good to great quality, one I can have engraved.  What about knives of alaska?  Any other thoughts?

Get a Benchmade and have them laser something meaningful on the blade - Elk or deer head, tracks, father and son hunting, something he relates to.

On second thought, Contact Rainshadow about a knife. I bet he's able to do engraving
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:10:20 PM by pianoman9701 »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal