collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Matsutake -  (Read 6431 times)

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Matsutake -
« on: November 01, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »
Did a little searching of old threads and don't think there is a matsutake thread out there.  Some info in other Shroom threads but not a thread dedicated to these sneaky little buggers that I cannot find  :chuckle:

Spent one day each of the last 2 weekends and have not found a single one yet,  Found 4-5 other edible mushrooms as well as several that are pushing up the duff on the forest floor. Just not the ones I am looking for.  I have been wandering around areas of Gifford Pinchot various terrains and elevations. 

Is anyone finding them right now?  are they above or below certain elevations, are they in areas with thicker or more open vegetation? I don't feel like I have been anywhere that they are currently because I see no signs of people or animals digging them out.  Are there other types of mushrooms that start appearing the same time that are indicators?

I understand that matsutake spots are like hunting honey holes, so really just asking for input from those who find them not a spot to look.

In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Matsutake -
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:28:37 AM »
My matsy buddy found some in GPNF last week. Sandy soil at about 2K'. West of the Yakima Nation.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
My matsy buddy found some in GPNF last week. Sandy soil at about 2K'. West of the Yakima Nation.

Thanks,  most of my searching was 3K and above although took a few walks between 2,200 and 2,600.   I know I have seen people that appeared to be matsu hunters in the past in some of the areas I was.

might try again before the year is out

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 11:07:05 AM »
Just make sure of the ID.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 01:37:15 PM »
I feel pretty confident even though I have never found one  :chuckle:  famous last words right

I have stopped at the trout lake buyer and seen the real ones, So far I have only found the fake ones they won't buy but are edible and pretty sure I have found the dangerous look alikes.  Just left those where I found them.

Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 01:45:44 PM »
Easiest way is to find a candy stick plant in the summer and go back when the mushrooms are fruiting.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »
Easiest way is to find a candy stick plant in the summer and go back when the mushrooms are fruiting.
I have read this somewhere, possibly the book I have.   This will be something I will be watching for next year for sure.

Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 02:03:09 PM »
I feel pretty confident even though I have never found one  :chuckle:  famous last words right

I have stopped at the trout lake buyer and seen the real ones, So far I have only found the fake ones they won't buy but are edible and pretty sure I have found the dangerous look alikes.  Just left those where I found them.

The aroma is the give away. If it doesn't smell like dirty feet and cinnamon, it's not a matsutake.

Offline boatloader

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
    • Matt Kanarr
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
Found them for the first time last year by sheer dumb luck. Went back to the exact same spot yesterday and got these bad boys. The spot is at sea level. The soil is sandy but you can't tell until you dig down a few inches past the moss and pine needles. These were amongst some salal and ferns on the edge of some reprod, underneath a full grown hemlock. Only one little flash of white was starting to peak through, and I found the rest still underground after some careful digging around.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline boatloader

• Hunter
    • Matt Kanarr
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 02:14:21 PM »
Tried em marinated in soy sauce and ginger and roasted on the fire... Pretty good! Very unique to be sure. I definitely smell the cinamonny notes but not really the dirty sock thing that has become synonymous with them thanks to David Arora. More like pine, and wet dirt with cinnamon. They tasted way better than it sounds lol

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »
Tried em marinated in soy sauce and ginger and roasted on the fire... Pretty good! Very unique to be sure. I definitely smell the cinamonny notes but not really the dirty sock thing that has become synonymous with them thanks to David Arora. More like pine, and wet dirt with cinnamon. They tasted way better than it sounds lol

They're the mushroom I've been harvesting the longest and one of my top three favorites, along with morels and porcinis. Chanterelles come in at a close 4th.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 02:19:40 PM »
I slice them thin and steam them with sake and Tamari soy. Traditional Japanese preparation other than raw.

Offline boatloader

• Hunter
    • Matt Kanarr
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 02:28:39 PM »
I slice them thin and steam them with sake and Tamari soy. Traditional Japanese preparation other than raw.
Nice! I wanted to make the Japanese Gohan rice dish, but I didn't have all the ingredients. And it was about time to get the rugrats ready for trick or treating!

Hank Shaw is one of my go tos for recipes
https://honest-food.net/matsutake-mushroom-recipe/

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 02:29:51 PM »
They look delicious on that grill.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 05:07:00 PM »
Nice finds!

Looks like they are popping down low in your spot, So curious what gets them going is it a temp thing or moisture or both?
Also wonder if they are like berries where they start at one elevation and then move up or down over time or elevation only matters as it pertains to temps.

I think if they were easier like a Chanterelle it would not be as interesting to me  :chuckle:  I think I have found enough of the others that it is just the challenge and learning that is keeping me searching!

Funny thing is I am not a huge mushroom eater, but I love going and finding them. but I am slowly learning to eat them more and more.
Have some bearshead in the garage need to figure out what to do with it.

Ecclesiastes 7 10

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal