collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: PENNSYLVANIA HUNTER KILLS RECORD WASHINGTON RAM  (Read 14010 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Re: PENNSYLVANIA HUNTER KILLS RECORD WASHINGTON RAM
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 07:21:29 AM »
Monies go to conservation: Are you 100% sure about that?  When it comes to this topic sure seems that is all a person hears, yet on the other hand most folks do not trust WDFW management, especially their management of funds.
I find this very interesting.

Hunting is becoming a rich mans sport due to these type permits....That is a fact 
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »
Monies go to conservation: Are you 100% sure about that?  When it comes to this topic sure seems that is all a person hears, yet on the other hand most folks do not trust WDFW management, especially their management of funds.

Hunting is becoming a rich mans sport due to these type permits....That is a fact
Yes, unless they violate this RCW.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.32.530
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline polishstunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 09:50:32 AM »
Im going to feel guilty if I ever get drawn, they are semi tame.

I guess the work will be getting pics without the darn highways in the background..

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2021, 11:17:37 AM »
Im going to feel guilty if I ever get drawn, they are semi tame.

I guess the work will be getting pics without the darn highways in the background..

Sounds like you shouldn't apply.

That will up my odds to 0.00000034% next year!   
I better start getting in sheep shape.     :IBCOOL:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2021, 05:40:35 PM »

Conservation yes....... but how about sheep conservation?

These type of statements (not picking on you Dale) are made alot.
Assuming these are raffle tickets with no cap, he probably bought a lot of tickets that didn't win. He must have bought a large number to win several times. I suspect that the amount he has spent in tickets could have purchased multiple hunts in other places.

Did the sheep he shot take away the opportunity from someone else? Yes. Did the money he has spent resulted in more sleep hunting opportunities for everyone else? Probably.
He may have also donated money to conservation causes without any direct benefit.

I do think shooting three sheep in one state seems excessive but he did it legally and playing by the same rules available to everyone.

Excellent comments Bob33

I can definitely see why hunters who have never had a chance at a sheep struggle with one guy getting three sheep in the same state, on the surface it certainly appears unfair. I wish agencies would do a better job of justifying to everyone how these dollars are actually being put to use so that there are more sheep on the mountain for everyone to hunt. Even though it may seem unfair on the surface, the result of all this money being put into the system is actually providing more sheep hunting opportunity for everyone, not just the hunters who are making the big expenditures.

FWIW, Nowhere in the RCW does it state that sheep raffle/auction money goes to benefit sheep. I stand by my previous statement....Are you sure that sheep raffle money goes to sheep? For all we know, the sheep auction money could (and probably is) going towards wolf conservation projects.

I used to work for a government agency, I have seen from the inside the rampant waste of monies, and the endless excuses/reasons to cover said excuses.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 07:11:51 AM »

Conservation yes....... but how about sheep conservation?

These type of statements (not picking on you Dale) are made alot.
Assuming these are raffle tickets with no cap, he probably bought a lot of tickets that didn't win. He must have bought a large number to win several times. I suspect that the amount he has spent in tickets could have purchased multiple hunts in other places.

Did the sheep he shot take away the opportunity from someone else? Yes. Did the money he has spent resulted in more sleep hunting opportunities for everyone else? Probably.
He may have also donated money to conservation causes without any direct benefit.

I do think shooting three sheep in one state seems excessive but he did it legally and playing by the same rules available to everyone.

Excellent comments Bob33

I can definitely see why hunters who have never had a chance at a sheep struggle with one guy getting three sheep in the same state, on the surface it certainly appears unfair. I wish agencies would do a better job of justifying to everyone how these dollars are actually being put to use so that there are more sheep on the mountain for everyone to hunt. Even though it may seem unfair on the surface, the result of all this money being put into the system is actually providing more sheep hunting opportunity for everyone, not just the hunters who are making the big expenditures.

FWIW, Nowhere in the RCW does it state that sheep raffle/auction money goes to benefit sheep. I stand by my previous statement....Are you sure that sheep raffle money goes to sheep? For all we know, the sheep auction money could (and probably is) going towards wolf conservation projects.

I used to work for a government agency, I have seen from the inside the rampant waste of monies, and the endless excuses/reasons to cover said excuses.

I also have some concerns like you and can see the potential for waste, so I do wonder: How is the money actually being used?

Part of my reason for saying: "I wish agencies would do a better job of justifying to everyone how these dollars are actually being put to use so that there are more sheep on the mountain for everyone to hunt."

A little accountability could go a long ways!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 11:22:25 AM »
I wonder if they capped the number of tags 1 person could buy if they would come out close to the same amount of money raised. It would force all the high rollers to buy in the auction and drive those prices up if they couldn’t flood the raffles? A plus is it would give the regular hunters a more reasonable opportunity. I understand the money raised and the value of these tags. I don’t understand killing 3 sheep out of what sounded like the exact same area over a 5-6 year period. That’s a little greedy for me but like already said he has definitely put a lot of money towards conservation so that’s good. Plus that’s an awesome ram 👍

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »
Two things we know, the system is fraught with uncomfortable realities and that it works.  It's also not new, rich dudes going to Africa saved the animals down there and a portion of that system is at play here.

We haven't figured out a better way as people, including us, largely aren't willing to cut big checks just for the good of the animals.  Likewise, people aren't willing to pay the same amount to take pictures as they are to pull triggers so hunters pick up the tab.

It is uncomfortable that we are auctioning very rare and desirable animals to rich guys, but we can't replace that money any other way.  It is such a limited resource there doesn't appear to be any solution other than charge what they are worth to a couple guys and keep the price artificially low for the rest to have a slim chance at a tag.  It's a reasonable compromise.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »
I believe this raffle is the Rocky Mountain bighorn done by WAWSF and they are very transparent with where the money is spent and what sheep projects.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 01:13:56 PM »
I believe this raffle is the Rocky Mountain bighorn done by WAWSF and they are very transparent with where the money is spent and what sheep projects.

It is. And they are. And maybe the guys would come on and put it all out there to see. Maybe not though, as some have decided it’s better to smack talk the big money guys who spend the money.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »

It is. And they are. And maybe the guys would come on and put it all out there to see. Maybe not though, as some have decided it’s better to smack talk the big money guys who spend the money.
It's an ethics thing for me, not money. If it's all about who spends the most then pen raise them. You don't have an issue with the only tag being auctioned off then the auctioneers business being the subsequent beneficiary via guide service?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »
Awesome ram..
Congrats to the hunter...
If you got the money spend it.

Sadly though I think allot of our quality opportunities across the board will go this direction in the future...to much money to be made selling animals to the high bidder.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 02:09:08 PM »

It's an ethics thing for me, not money. If it's all about who spends the most then pen raise them. You don't have an issue with the only tag being auctioned off then the auctioneers business being the subsequent beneficiary via guide service?

Does the buyer/winner of the tag have to pay and hunt with the guide? If so, I have a problem with that aspect of it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2021, 02:19:25 PM »
Sacrifice one to save a thousand.
They should do these raffles a little better.
No cap just like it is.
But after 25 tickets ,the price per ticket go up Alot.
That way the odds are not so one sided ,yet conservation money is still there,with a little better odds for the poor guy.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2021, 03:49:40 PM »
I hear a bunch of jealousy here!   Congrats to the hunter. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]