collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winterkill  (Read 20784 times)

Online LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Winterkill
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2022, 01:18:28 PM »
So their solution to record high snowfall is to chase them all over with helicopters... Great.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »
They have done these captures for the last two years on my place.  It is done on winter feeding grounds where I am sure the snow has melted off and is not an issue.

My place the snow was up to their chests day one of the snowstorm, to their knees day two after the storm and to their ankles by day three.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »
They have done these captures for the last two years on my place.  It is done on winter feeding grounds where I am sure the snow has melted off and is not an issue.

My place the snow was up to their chests day one of the snowstorm, to their knees day two after the storm and to their ankles by day three.

That's good cuz my concern would be the energy expelled running from the chopper in snow up to their bellies!

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2022, 03:06:33 PM »

wow the snow is melting fast up there. We still have a foot in the valley
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2022, 03:28:43 PM »
Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why they stress them like that in the end of January after heavy snow instead of another time of year when they are in better shape?

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2022, 04:07:38 PM »
Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why they stress them like that in the end of January after heavy snow instead of another time of year when they are in better shape?

Probably easier to find.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2022, 05:08:39 PM »

Not sayin I'm smarter than anybody here :chuckle: :tup:
We learned a lot after killing that big collared buck back in the 80,s, after turning the collar in we received a 2 page letter telling the story of this buck over the 3 or so years they tracked him. They explained the day he was singled out and collared and how and why he was picked. By the explanation it was basically done in January because of a better "pool" of bucks to choose from, especially after a series of storms and weather that basically push pretty much the whole population to lower and more accessible ground, winter range. He was singled out after many days of multiple volunteers and employees scouring hundreds of square miles, they picked this fella as a good example of genetics, bodywise and antlers. So, my cousin who worked for the game department of another state pretty much verified this reasoning. I remember as a boy watching the Game department actually doing deer drives in the Methow, my dad told many stories of how he and my great grandpa actually volunteered to help with some back in the 60,s and before. They would build pens out of 12 foot posts and netting in areas where deer would congregate in certain areas of winter range. The corrals would be shaped like big funnel, they would have guys on horseback start pushing them towards the pen, sometimes from a mile or so away. As the deer got closer there would be other volunteers hunkered down in specific spots in the sage brush holding pots and pans and ready with whistles. At just the right time someone would give the signal and everyone would standup and start whistling and banging the pots and pans, strategically pushing the deer into the big end of the funnel. Sometimes they would get a dozen or so in there, a lot all tangled up etc. Not a very efficient or safe way to do it but it was done. I remember sitting on a hill and watching guys get run over by 3 or 4 deer, stepped on etc :chuckle: I guess the deer got their shots in too :chuckle:. Don't remember when they started using choppers, my dad remembers the old stampede method being done much earlier, a lot of times no snow at all in fact that was best because it was easier on the deer and the horses, but back then there were a hell of a lot more deer in the Methow, a hell of a lot more :tup:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 05:21:17 PM by bigmacc »

Online LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2022, 05:51:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me if Bigmacc is a big guy? Cuz someone needs to literally twist his arm and make him put all his memories of the Methow and mule deer hunting down in writing for a book!  :chuckle: :dunno:

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2022, 05:56:50 PM »
Day one

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2022, 05:58:05 PM »
Today

Online Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2022, 06:03:27 PM »
The Entiat still has a bunch of snow and its crusted over pretty good. My 48 lb GSP can run on it without breaking through.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2022, 06:53:01 PM »
What are you feeding them Rainier10?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2022, 08:44:31 PM »
Can anyone tell me if Bigmacc is a big guy? Cuz someone needs to literally twist his arm and make him put all his memories of the Methow and mule deer hunting down in writing for a book!  :chuckle: :dunno:

:yeah:

Offline eliandsky

• Hunter
Winterkill
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2022, 08:53:39 PM »
It’s only been 12 days since the dump. I’m no Bioligist but there’s lots of clear areas on The S slopes….tons of trails to buck brush the sage n antelope BB seems open and visible and the crust is softening. The 36” is down to 12” at my house 2 miles up Nahahum S facing hill side and compacts easily to 6”. It’s been above freezing most hours of the days. Though I’m sure there’s a bunch of dead ones out there the conditions are improving daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal