collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winterkill  (Read 20779 times)

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Winterkill
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2022, 09:00:25 PM »
Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why they stress them like that in the end of January after heavy snow instead of another time of year when they are in better shape?
I assume they are net gunning the deer out of the helicopters. It is much easier on the deer to be netted on snow covered ground than on dry ground. Also the snow keeps the animals from overheating, which can be a problem other times of the year. There is very little harm done to the animals this time of year. A lot of previous work from researchers and biologists shows this is the best time of the year for capture projects.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2022, 02:10:58 PM »
What are you feeding them Rainier10?
Antlermax 16 from October 1st until March 1st.  March 2nd until October I feed them Antlermax 20.  20 has more protein for growing better antlers.  I am not sure it works.  I started the feeding the year after we had a big fire.  Antler growth was definitely better but so was the fresh new natural plant growth.  Tough to tell if the antlermax is what did it or if all the fresh new vegetation did it.  The other thing that I noticed is I have a ton of twin fawns.  Again not sure if it is the antlermax or all the new vegetation.

No question they love the antlermax so I will keep it going as long as the state allows.

All of the other critters in the area love it as well.  Including the range cows that break through my fences.  Nothing more frustrating than 2,000 pictures in a two days of cows eating 300 pounds of feed.

The deer and elk don't just camp out and eat it all.  They come in and get a little and move onto to other browse in the area.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2022, 02:16:26 PM »
What are you feeding them Rainier10?
Antlermax 16 from October 1st until March 1st.  March 2nd until October I feed them Antlermax 20.  20 has more protein for growing better antlers.  I am not sure it works.  I started the feeding the year after we had a big fire.  Antler growth was definitely better but so was the fresh new natural plant growth.  Tough to tell if the antlermax is what did it or if all the fresh new vegetation did it.  The other thing that I noticed is I have a ton of twin fawns.  Again not sure if it is the antlermax or all the new vegetation.

No question they love the antlermax so I will keep it going as long as the state allows.

All of the other critters in the area love it as well.  Including the range cows that break through my fences.  Nothing more frustrating than 2,000 pictures in a two days of cows eating 300 pounds of feed.

The deer and elk don't just camp out and eat it all.  They come in and get a little and move onto to other browse in the area.

Yeah it’s pretty hard to keep cattle off feed like that.🤯

You should start a thread showing your results on feeding them.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2022, 02:26:54 PM »
Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why they stress them like that in the end of January after heavy snow instead of another time of year when they are in better shape?
I assume they are net gunning the deer out of the helicopters. It is much easier on the deer to be netted on snow covered ground than on dry ground. Also the snow keeps the animals from overheating, which can be a problem other times of the year. There is very little harm done to the animals this time of year. A lot of previous work from researchers and biologists shows this is the best time of the year for capture projects.

:tup:  Thanks, interesting info.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2022, 05:19:02 PM »
No nets, just hands...

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »
No nets, just hands...

Geez that seems extremely dangerous in such a rocky area like that.  Looks like a good way to whack your head on a rock and go night night for good.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal