collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bought a new travel trailer  (Read 7783 times)

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Bought a new travel trailer
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »
Multiple plug adapters so you always have power.....30 amp three prong to 110, etc.

We also always had a batter charger that would run off the generator to charge the batteries.....We would fill the generator with about 1/2 tank of gas and start it when we left to go hunting.  It would run out of fuel before we returned and the batteries would be topped off.  The trickle chargers they put in trailers is not enough depending on your lighting use.  Sounds like you have solar panels which we did not so that will likely help a lot. 

Lots of chains and locks to chain everything to the trailer or to a tree.  I also chained my tires together and to the axle if I was going to be hunting all day.....Make it as hard to steal as you can. 

Offline lee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 06:58:07 AM »
Many great Mod's already mentioned.

Here is a list of mods I have performed to my RV.

Mod’s performed.
1.   Wet bolt suspension kit
2.   Shimmed bolt heads holding FWT, added 1 support strap and replaced damaged FWT.
3.   Reinforced bedroom drawer rails.
4.   Reinforced kitchen drawer rails.
5.   Added 1 kitchen drawer, bottom.
6.   “T” into furnace LP gas line, added “ball valve”, installed flex hose with quick disconnect fitting  for Mr Buddy heater.
7.   Added on/off switch for fridge/freezer heat strip
8.   Added on/off power switch for Stereo. My stereo has a blue back light that is always on. Switch allows it to be turned off. Every amp counts when Boon-docking.
9.   Reinforced floors in rear storage areas with laminate
10.   Replaced anti-syphon value under bathroom sink with a brass straight through. Home Depot. Original plastic one are a known failure item.
11.   Added a “T” and valve for winterizing the water pump.
12.   Replaced all interior lights w/LED.
13.   Added range top cover.
14.   Replaced cheap plastic kitchen sink and faucet with stick built house quality units.
15.   Sealed slide out seams with Eterna-bond tape
16.   Reinforced rails that hold dining room table when used as a bed. Also installed 3” PVS pipe for same.
17.   Bulldog 500188 3500lbs Electric tongue jack. Amazon 5 May, 2015
18.   Slide out awning, installed by TacomaRV when purchased TT new.
19.   Originally the breaker for the WFCO converter also powered all AC outlets… so I Installed an AC breaker for AC outlets. Now the Converter breaker can be turned OFF and still have power to AC outlets through their own breaker.
20.   6-Volt golf cart battery = GC2 size Bought at Costco. May 2019
21.   Progressive Industries HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS-HW30C RV Surge & Electrical Protector from Amazon. Aug 3, 2019
22.   Filter and valve for toilet water supply. Amazon
23.   On/Off Valve for fresh water tank drain.
24.   Painted frame with Rustolium black paint July 2019.
25.   Replaced the stiff OEM shower hose and head with a Jakarda 60-inch brushed nickel 304 stainless hose with brass fittings, a KES shower head cut-off valve K1140B3, and an Oxgenics 26481 Brushed nickel spa RV shower head. Amazon.
26.   Installed Micro-Air EasyStart 364 into the air conditioner. Bought from MicroAir.net
27.   Installed aluminum flashing in the well wells and sealed with Geocel 28127V Pro Flex Bright White RV Flexible Sealant from Amazon.
28.   Amazon: BougeRV 600D Polyester Electric Tongue Jack Cover RV Accessories Universal Trailer RV Electric Tongue Jack Protective Cover Camper Accessories for Outside,
29.   Amazon: HUSKY TOWING 81497 UNIV Connector Storage KIT for 7-pin connector. 3/21/21
30.   TST 507 tire pressure monitor system

Numbers: 1, 7. 8. 10, 21, 26, and especially number 30 would be my priorities.

YMMV

Lee

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 07:35:16 AM »
That’s lots of upgrades

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 07:42:21 AM »
Indoor place to store it or at least a covered area to store it.
Washington state is not kind to RV's just sitting outside year round and those cloth covers do little.
They all might leak at some point, you may not even know it and if guys think manufactured homes are not built very well you don't even want to know the quality of a trailer build  :rolleyes:
I worked next door to an RV repair place for 20yrs and got to see a lot, even brand new stuff.

Oh, and wholly crap you guys do a lot of stuff to your Rvs, in almost 40 yrs of trailers i have never done even 1/2 the stuff listed, but will say LED bulbs are a great trade out.

Oh have a good jack and star wrench, and a few bricks of .22 stashed for when you run out
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 07:46:28 AM »

6.   “T” into furnace LP gas line, added “ball valve”, installed flex hose with quick disconnect fitting  for Mr Buddy heater.

Lee

Lee, are you supplementing your RV heater with the buddy? 
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
Forgot, make up a tool kit
Ammo can works well, basic tools and a few vise grips, zip ties, elec tape, duct tape, fuses, some sealer, etc etc you get the idea.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 08:00:34 AM »
Replace your tires, straight away, with USA made LT's.  You probably won't do it for the expense but at least check your tires, they are probably ST's and have a speed rating 65mph or so.  At a minimum, carry one of these with you.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-lbs-Features-Lift-Yellow-21002/dp/B07ZPJCHN5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=392K69EIYS002&keywords=trailer%2Btire%2Bchanger&qid=1644162940&sprefix=trailer%2Btire%2Bchan%2Caps%2C338&sr=8-4&th=1 

Offline lee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 08:27:25 AM »

Lee

I reluctantly answer this with "Yup".  I say reluctantly because it usually starts a long list of posts about how I will wake up dead from CO poisoning.  Been using it ~ 8 years. It's designed for indoor use. I crack a window up front and the vent in the bathroom in the rear. Also added 2 extra Smoke / CO detectors. They have never alarmed. I exclusively "Boon-dock" camp and not having to run the battery killing furnace helps tremendously.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 08:33:26 AM »

Lee

I reluctantly answer this with "Yup".  I say reluctantly because it usually starts a long list of posts about how I will wake up dead from CO poisoning.  Been using it ~ 8 years. It's designed for indoor use. I crack a window up front and the vent in the bathroom in the rear. Also added 2 extra Smoke / CO detectors. They have never alarmed. I exclusively "Boon-dock" camp and not having to run the battery killing furnace helps tremendously.

Roger that.  I have done the same a number of times to save the battery power for multi days boondocking adventures.  I like the thought of Ting off a hose for it instead of having a propane tank inside taking up floor space.  I’ve also yet to wake up dead though I hear if often though I’ve never heard of someone actually croaking.  It is a little nerve racking when the kids/family are in there with me.   
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 08:42:52 AM »
Replace your tires, straight away, with USA made LT's.  You probably won't do it for the expense but at least check your tires, they are probably ST's and have a speed rating 65mph or so.  At a minimum, carry one of these with you.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-lbs-Features-Lift-Yellow-21002/dp/B07ZPJCHN5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=392K69EIYS002&keywords=trailer%2Btire%2Bchanger&qid=1644162940&sprefix=trailer%2Btire%2Bchan%2Caps%2C338&sr=8-4&th=1
:yeah: I’ve changed two of mine, not by choice! In fact, while they still have your trailer, have them take those china bombs off and put on good tires!!! Trust us!  Second real important action, get that thing under cover, that sun and weather are really bad on trailers.  Also read you talking about a generator, do yourself and the neighboring campers a favor and buy a quiet generator!! Honda or other, just quiet.  Also, have the tools necessary to change a tire. Don’t forget to winterize during the winter, pull that plug on the hot water tank.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2022, 07:23:25 AM »
Tires are E rated goodyears, that come on it. 

Anyone have advice on slide toppers in the wind?  Ive been told that if the wind kicks up pretty good that they can get very noisy and have a good chance to rip.  Besides disconnecting them, is there any tips or tricks to helping this?
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2022, 07:39:29 AM »

Lee

Roger that.  I have done the same a number of times to save the battery power for multi days boondocking adventures.  I like the thought of Ting off a hose for it instead of having a propane tank inside taking up floor space.  I’ve also yet to wake up dead though I hear if often though I’ve never heard of someone actually croaking.  It is a little nerve racking when the kids/family are in there with me.

If you are at all worried about CO, get a CAMCO Olympian Wave Catalyst heater. 

https://www.camco.net/olympian-wave-3-3000-btu-htr-57331

I run 2 in my rig an 8000 and a 3000 and have never detected CO levels above the low teens (PPM) when running them (I used a TESTO 310 to test). 

Offline lee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2022, 09:44:24 AM »

Lee

If you are at all worried about CO, get a CAMCO Olympian Wave Catalyst heater. 

https://www.camco.net/olympian-wave-3-3000-btu-htr-57331

I run 2 in my rig an 8000 and a 3000 and have never detected CO levels above the low teens (PPM) when running them (I used a TESTO 310 to test).

I seriously considered that unit. They have a great reputation.   Really the only reason I went with the Mr Buddy instead is due to the fact I can use the small LP bottles as an option. Also, the unit comes with a quick disconnect fitting for attaching a line to.

Offline lee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2022, 09:49:35 AM »
Tires are E rated goodyears, that come on it. 

Anyone have advice on slide toppers in the wind?  Ive been told that if the wind kicks up pretty good that they can get very noisy and have a good chance to rip.  Besides disconnecting them, is there any tips or tricks to helping this?

Hi,

My Trailer came new with a slide topper installed. I've never had a wind issues. Only issues I have had and also read about are snow related. I have heard of some owners sticking a beach ball in-between the slide out roof and the topper to prevent flapping noise and also snow load. Trouble is,... this requires a ladder. Snow gets to thick on the slide out awning, I just bring in the slide out, which dumps the snow and then re-extend it.

Lee

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal