collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of state honeymoon hunt planning help needed: ideas for elk this summer?  (Read 4787 times)

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
Hello all,

So I got engaged last Sunday and we've set a date for early August. We're both aspiring/new hunters (I've had success on blacktail modern but otherwise I get skunked on all species). We want to raise our family in the woods and focus on a natural and healthy lifestyle that is well balanced and active.

We were discussing honeymoon and I suggested that we find and do a horseback archery elk trip somewhere that feels like equal parts honeymoon and hunting adventure and she was very into the idea.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a hunting "experience" where we can horseback into a spot and hear bugling bulls? She will be the primary hunter, and will be accurate to 40 yards with bow. I'll be there as well but i want my shot opportunity to be secondary to hers.

Considerations: I have some points in other states but she has none, so it has to be something we can buy OTC or direct via a guide
Budget: We're in early planning phases but budgeting $20k top end for everything start to finish, including gas, tags, lodging, hunt, and transport considerations

I would really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
That seems like a very realistic goal for your budget. I've daydreamed/goggled guided elk hunts but never been on one. So I know you've got a lot of good options for $10k each but can't give you a specific referral. I'm sure others are going to chime in here because spending other people's money is fun.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Are you looking for guided or drop camp? The only guided trip I went on was into the Bob Marshall for elk and it was awesome. Beautiful country and an amazing adventure. An added bonus was that you could rifle hunt during the rut.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
Are you looking for guided or drop camp? The only guided trip I went on was into the Bob Marshall for elk and it was awesome. Beautiful country and an amazing adventure. An added bonus was that you could rifle hunt during the rut.

Guided - and rifle is an option as well. I just figured that all the September hunts would be archery.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Check out this outfitter in Idaho...

https://bouldercreekoutfitters.com/elk_deer.php

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer

Guided - and rifle is an option as well. I just figured that all the September hunts would be archery.

This is who we went with. https://www.millswildernessadventures.com/

I will recommend that unless you are an active horse rider, it wouldn't hurt to ride a few times before you go. Our trip was a two day ride in totaling like 28 miles and even being a rider, I was still sore.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
I know you're asking for hunting advice and not financial advice, but one other option would be to consider just having one of you hunt and the other tag along. And save half the money to switch roles and do another honeymoon the next year. When I was getting into the out of state game and could barely afford the tags, this is what my wife and I did. I've always enjoyed my trips as the pack mule just as much...because the freezer is community property.

By the way, congratulations. Sounds like the makings of a happy marriage.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
I know you're asking for hunting advice and not financial advice, but one other option would be to consider just having one of you hunt and the other tag along. And save half the money to switch roles and do another honeymoon the next year. When I was getting into the out of state game and could barely afford the tags, this is what my wife and I did. I've always enjoyed my trips as the pack mule just as much...because the freezer is community property.

I totally support this and would be more than happy to support her in what might be her first hunting success. Thanks for the advice!

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter

This is who we went with. https://www.millswildernessadventures.com/

I will recommend that unless you are an active horse rider, it wouldn't hurt to ride a few times before you go. Our trip was a two day ride in totaling like 28 miles and even being a rider, I was still sore.

We're both handy on a horse but neither of us have ridden in years, so yes I totally understand the saddle soreness comment! Good suggestion.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer

Agree completely.

For my practice marriage, we did a honeymoon trip to AK. Drove up, did a fly in caribou hunt, then fished a bunch after. Came back with over 300# of meat and fish. A lot more fun than coming back with photos of a beach somewhere.  ;) Good luck with everything!

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
How about axis deer hunt in Lanai Hawaii? I've heard good things. I would not attempt archery which means I'd need to transport a firearm which is no fun... but also...I'd be in hawaii, so....

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
If I remember right suppose to report to local cop shop, show hunting license as reason to have it within so many days of arrival.

All of it is unconstitutional, but Hawaii seems to get away with a lot of infringements.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Good outfitters are mostly booked solid through 2024 from what I am hearing, but with that kind of budget you guys could probably pick up a killer cancellation trip somewhere if you don't need a ton of notice.. who knows though, maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck and congrats, sounds like you got yourself a keeper!

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
How about axis deer hunt in Lanai Hawaii? I've heard good things. I would not attempt archery which means I'd need to transport a firearm which is no fun... but also...I'd be in hawaii, so....

Hawaii in September sounds hot!

Unless the general tag jumps way up I should be hunting with Martin outfitters in Moran, WY this fall. I've done some "work" for him in the past, they do lodge hunts and rise you in and out every day with home cooked breakfast and dinner and a packed lunch. That'd be a great one for a honeymoon since you gave all the amenities of a cabin but still out in elk and gorgeous country. Depends on your points situation though and the application period is already closed for this year.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE

Agree completely.

For my practice marriage, we did a honeymoon trip to AK. Drove up, did a fly in caribou hunt, then fished a bunch after. Came back with over 300# of meat and fish. A lot more fun than coming back with photos of a beach somewhere.  ;) Good luck with everything!
beat me to it. I was gonna say for 20k I'm going to AK for something!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand