collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How Brave Beer Ye?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
How Brave Beer Ye?
« on: March 30, 2022, 11:39:35 AM »
Stinging Nettles are traditionally eaten now in the early spring as they are one of the first edible green shoots to appear, known as a “pot-herb”.
 In Scotland, Stinging Nettle Kail was a traditional Shrove Tuesday soup to welcome in the Spring.

Stinging Nettle-Picking Tips
Nettles are best when very tender, so pick in the spring when the nettles are just coming up or later in the season. Pick the young leaves from the tips.
Use rubber gloves or pinch the leaves hard, so you don’t get stung. Once picked, lay the nettles out on a tray to wilt. Once wilted they can no longer sting you. The sting relies on erect hairs to penetrate the skin and inject the stinging formic acid. When wilted strip the leaves off the stems.

(Always cook Nettles, which destroys the stinging formic acid. Nettles are not suitable for salads, but make a good Tea. For something new try making
 "Stinging Nettle Beer"

1kg nettle tops (approximately one carrier bag stuffed to bursting)
5 litres water
450g sugar
Juice of two lemons
50g cream of tartar
A sachet of beer yeast
Boil the nettles with the finings for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain through a colander or sieve into a sterilised (rinse with Campden tablet solution then boiled water) food-grade plastic bucket.

Stir in the sugar until dissolved. Leave to cool to room temperature. Add the lemon juice and the yeast. You will probably need to "activate" the yeast first – it will tell you on the sachet. Cover and leave for three days.

Siphon into sterilized swing-top bottles making sure not to disturb the sediment that will have accumulated at the bottom of the bucket. The beer will continue to ferment, gradually building up a head of steam, and is ready to drink in a week, though longer will be better.

Gently release the pressure on one of the bottles every now and then to check that the "steam" isn't building up too much. Despite the finings this beer can sometimes be a little cloudy - remember that this is a homebrew, so it is simply considered as character. And do not concern yourself about a little sediment at the bottom of the bottle – just pour carefully!

1. Don't pick Stinging Nettles when in Flower
At the first sign of flowers you must stop picking. The plant will now start producing cystoliths - microscopic rods of calium carbonate - which can be absorbed by  the body where they will mechanically interfere with kidney function.

Nettles are not just tasty but can be beneficial as a natural diuretic, in aiding digestion, and as a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including iron. By trimming a Stinging Nettle Patch you can extend the season to the whole summer, with a steady supply of young growth.
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: How Brave Beer Ye?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 11:51:50 AM »
Sounds good.  I like them cooked, similar to spinach.  :tup:
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 11:56:20 AM »
I eat lots of nettles. They also have several medicinal advantages. Drinking the tea/broth after boiling them can help lung function, especially in asthmatics. Rubbing raw nettles on arthritic joints hurts for a few hours and can relieve arthritic pain for weeks or even months.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 11:59:45 AM »
I don't know if it is there anymore, but the little brewery between Enumclaw and Buckley (called Elk Head or something like that) brewed a nettle beer.  It was quite good.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 12:06:38 PM »
I don't know if it is there anymore, but the little brewery between Enumclaw and Buckley (called Elk Head or something like that) brewed a nettle beer.  It was quite good.
Drove by the other day, they were still there from what I saw.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 12:07:28 PM »
I friggin hate nettles, have a ton of them around us.  I do like tea though, I'll have to YouTube and see how to make the tea.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 01:19:43 PM »
There doesn't seem to be enough Roundup on the planet to get rid of that crap.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 01:45:29 PM »
I friggin hate nettles, have a ton of them around us.  I do like tea though, I'll have to YouTube and see how to make the tea.

You boil the nettles.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 04:14:17 PM »

You boil the nettles.
I'm going to try that, it looks like the plant has tons of good things for your body. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 04:19:10 PM »

You boil the nettles.
I'm going to try that, it looks like the plant has tons of good things for your body.

Harvest them until the tassel on top turns brown. They're good if it's blond or tan.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal