collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commission looking at crossbow rules for seniors age 65 and over.  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: Commission looking at crossbow rules for seniors age 65 and over.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 11:58:28 AM »
You can cock it, then put shaft in when ready to shoot?

Yes   :tup:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 12:29:27 PM »
I would love to see this happen.  It would give me at least some hope to be able to archery hunt again in 6 years.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 12:40:32 PM »
The regs are quite specific about xbow use - upper body disabled or 65 and older. When you look at who's actually out in the woods, there are relatively few of us old guys. And our physical limitations increase the difficulty factor, in some by a great deal. In addition, to be able to hunt the season we've been traditionally hunting for decades means a great deal. Bring it on. :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 12:49:38 PM »
You old guys are starting to sound like a bunch of millennials!

:chuckle:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 12:50:11 PM »
You old guys are starting to sound like a bunch of millennials!

:chuckle:

We're 65 and entitled!!!  :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 03:04:59 PM »
Walking around the woods with a cocked crossbow scares the hell out me.  But if it works for some, have at it.

No different than a rifle, except it grabs more brush on the limbs.   

Tbey do have a safety ya?  I've never fired a crossbow

Yes, they have a safety, but I'm not walking around with one cocked and locked and slung across my back.  Seems more like a set bear trap with a sharp stick in it than a rifle.  Some people are Ok with it.  I'm not. 

65 and over, hunt with whatever you want, good for you for still be in the field.

Awww, that is one of the nicest things someone has said to me! Thanks!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2022, 10:12:10 AM »
That is precisely my point, unless you are simply suggesting allowing those with disabilities to use then in archery seasons.

If you aren't able to archery hunt, there are other methods available to you.  Using a crossbow is no different than using a muzzleloader or rifle in archery season imo. Then there's the conversation about using scopes on crossbows, which had already been debated for muzzleloaders. Keep traditional hunting the way it or or eventually it will all be the same.
It’s a No from me.. i agree. Hunt with a muzzle or rifle. Keep it “traditional”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 10:56:18 AM »
All petitions have to be heard by the comission. I will bet this is put off till the 3 year season setting cycle.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 11:23:01 AM »
I wonder what the percentage of archery hunters older than 65 is. Maybe 5% of the total? If they allow crossbows would that increase to 10%? If the individual has to use a crossbow to hunt I doubt very much if they're going to stray far from the truck or UTV so I don't really see it as a huge impact to my ability to have a traditional archery hunt. If the biologists see it as an unfair advantage then limit crossbows to buck and bull only. I would vote yes.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2022, 11:45:13 AM »
This is a tough one I could go either way. I'm new to archery so the less competition the better BUT my dad is over 65 and lives in a unit with a great late archery season and no muzz season. He's had shoulder surgery so there's no chance of him pulling a bow back. He sounds never even consider archery without something like this so I'm really on the fence...

Offline Meathunter06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Hunting Washington Forum
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2022, 11:46:26 AM »
That is precisely my point, unless you are simply suggesting allowing those with disabilities to use then in archery seasons.

If you aren't able to archery hunt, there are other methods available to you.  Using a crossbow is no different than using a muzzleloader or rifle in archery season imo. Then there's the conversation about using scopes on crossbows, which had already been debated for muzzleloaders. Keep traditional hunting the way it or or eventually it will all be the same.
It’s a No from me.. i agree. Hunt with a muzzle or rifle. Keep it “traditional”

"Traditional" Don't think the new compound bows with trigger release's and all the specialized equipment that can be added are even close to being traditional  :archery_smiley:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Meathunter06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Hunting Washington Forum
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2022, 11:48:39 AM »
This is a tough one I could go either way. I'm new to archery so the less competition the better BUT my dad is over 65 and lives in a unit with a great late archery season and no muzz season. He's had shoulder surgery so there's no chance of him pulling a bow back. He sounds never even consider archery without something like this so I'm really on the fence...
    He can apply for a disability permit just needs a note from his doctor and he'll be good to go :tup:

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2022, 12:02:01 PM »
How many ofd you old cats like me have ever pulled back a crossbow string without the aid of a cocking device.  It ain't easy... I had a crossbow for a while because I could hunt with it during modern firearm season here on Whidbey Island.  What a pain in the rear they are to cock and then if you don't have a crank to decock it, you need to shoot a bolt.  If anyone wants to go through all that hassle at age 65 and older... let' er rip.

So if this could get some 65+ year old cat out in the woods to hunt archery with his younger kid or grandkid... I'm all for it.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2022, 01:02:34 PM »
Mine takes 19 revolutions to cock and decock, which takes time.  Rifle or crossbow I need a rest to make a clean shot.  Most of my hunting will be out of a blind or stand.  Anybody got a link to specifics of the proposed 65 and over rule?  I know I will be under archery rules, so could use during muzzy too.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2022, 02:37:46 PM »
May as well let us shoot out of the truck so we dont get wet and cold.     :chuckle: :chuckle: :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal