collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Veteran Turning 65/Medical Benefits v. Medicare  (Read 2819 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Veteran Turning 65/Medical Benefits v. Medicare
« on: June 09, 2022, 10:33:58 AM »
So, six months until I hit Golden Oldie. The phone won't stop ringing with people selling "Cheap Medicare". I recently received my VA ID, as I said in a previous thread. I have a 10% service-related disability. I had no idea of what coverage I actually have and called the VA today to find out. Here's what I found out:

100% total medical coverage...everything including surgery and hospital stays. No copay. Service outside the VA must be approved and then, no copay.
Pharmacy 30 day supply - 1st tier (generic)/$5 copay, 2nd tier (generic and OTC)/$8 co-pay, 3rd tier (name brand scripts)/$11 copay

I'm floored and so thankful. I don't have to worry about the whole Medicare and what parts I need to pay for each month. What a huge load off.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline GASoline71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
Re: Veteran Turning 65/Medical Benefits v. Medicare
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 11:07:37 AM »
That's awesome.  :)  I retired from Active Duty back in '06 and have been on Tricare Prime since I retired.  I also have a VA disability but have not had to use the VA as Tricare picks up pretty much everything I need at a fraction of what "regular" insurance would cost me. 

I'm 54 and still have a ways to go to the "Golden Age".  ;)  Not sure if we want to go Tricare For Life and use Medicare as a backup? Or if we can do both at the same time?  Or if I can use VA benefits as well by then?  Got 9 more years to figure it all out.  I'll Retire from the DoD in 2028 about 2 months before my 60th birthday.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 11:19:52 AM »
You're just a whippersnapper then! I don't think I'm eligible for Tricare because I'm not retired - just a three-year service.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline .300SAVAGE

• Pilgrim
    • Micheal W Blaker
  • Groups: NRA,REMF
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »
  Received my 100% disability 2 1/2 yrs ago after 3yrs of appeals and record searches. I'm 73 and have kept my medicare "just in case". Maybe I should look into opting out and save the $130 a month. What do you think?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 05:44:57 PM »
That's great Pianoman. It also means you don't need to call Joe Namath to see if your zip code qualifies.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 06:01:51 PM »
Thanks' John. That is some info I didn't know about. I think you qualify as a whippersnapper :chuckle:. My birth year is 1952 so I must have ten years on you. I'm also 10% but looking into getting that upped to 40%, that would almost fill my fuel tank.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 06:22:18 PM »
  Received my 100% disability 2 1/2 yrs ago after 3yrs of appeals and record searches. I'm 73 and have kept my medicare "just in case". Maybe I should look into opting out and save the $130 a month. What do you think?  {{{{ keep the backup..Ive had to use it,cause the Hospital did not have a clue what to do. Then you get ahold of the VA and they will take over. But keep your Medicare.}}}
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline .300SAVAGE

• Pilgrim
    • Micheal W Blaker
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 05:00:31 AM »
 Thanks for your advice on this.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 06:48:28 AM »
That's great Pianoman. It also means you don't need to call Joe Namath to see if your zip code qualifies.
:chuckle:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 06:56:17 AM »
  Received my 100% disability 2 1/2 yrs ago after 3yrs of appeals and record searches. I'm 73 and have kept my medicare "just in case". Maybe I should look into opting out and save the $130 a month. What do you think?

I don't know. I think your VA hospital is probably in Seattle. Do you currently drive that far for medical? Have you used that VA facility? I live very near the closest VA clinics at Ft. Vancouver and Portland is the main hospital for the system, a great hospital with high marks. Do you have co-pays on meds with Medicare and how do they compare?

These are important considerations before dropping a cost of $130/mo., I would think. :dunno:

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 06:57:20 AM »
  Received my 100% disability 2 1/2 yrs ago after 3yrs of appeals and record searches. I'm 73 and have kept my medicare "just in case". Maybe I should look into opting out and save the $130 a month. What do you think?  {{{{ keep the backup..Ive had to use it,cause the Hospital did not have a clue what to do. Then you get ahold of the VA and they will take over. But keep your Medicare.}}}
:yeah:  The husband is 100% and has va medical, Medicare and usaa supplemental. Might be over doing it but the way we have seen the inefficiency of the va we’re too scared to let the other backup medical go.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 07:44:05 PM by Southpole »
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 07:11:04 AM »
Thanks' John. That is some info I didn't know about. I think you qualify as a whippersnapper :chuckle:. My birth year is 1952 so I must have ten years on you. I'm also 10% but looking into getting that upped to 40%, that would almost fill my fuel tank.

Only 5 years, my friend. We're getting to the age when that's no difference at all.

Offline .300SAVAGE

• Pilgrim
    • Micheal W Blaker
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 07:29:37 AM »
 I went to Spokane for 4 years for cancer treatment, but they sent me to community health in Wenatchee. I live in Leavenworth. Saves me a 3 1/2 hr drive each way!
   Everything  paid for and no copays.

Offline Dysfunctional Vet

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 08:26:44 AM »
In my case, medically retired and then put on SSA. Medicare was required to keep my VA benefits and tricare. The VA and tricare really want to be the secondary insurance and not primary.
The VA
   Giving veterans a second chance to die for their country since 1930.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 09:28:57 AM »
In my case, medically retired and then put on SSA. Medicare was required to keep my VA benefits and tricare. The VA and tricare really want to be the secondary insurance and not primary.

This is different information than I received from them yesterday. I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal