collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Preparing for the opener  (Read 9112 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Preparing for the opener
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »
Seen two back at the beginning of June.
One smaller black one and a lighter brown one.
It was neat to just watch them for a few min.
I was getting firewood then so no big deal.
But have been ,reloading and target shooting this month.
Just general getting stuff in order .
Filled the pickup up with gas yesterday,OMG.
This is the boys first year with a tag,so if a good opportunity comes up ,I'll let him bat first.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2022, 01:13:05 PM »
Looks like some areas on the dry side will have berries at mid elevations.
Seen a few patches yesterday,mostly green,with a handful of ripe ones.

Offline Ntbutcher

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2022, 01:43:55 PM »
Ran into some bear sign at 7000+ on the east side this weekend. 5-6 piles. Some a week or so old, and some "yesterday" fresh. Was a little surprised to see bear sign so high up already...

I saw one at 6800' this weekend on the eastern slopes. With the late melt out things are greening up at those elevations still. He was mowing some grass for a while before he went to take a nap. Looked like a big boy up at the top of the roost. Walked right into a little guy back in June at the same spot but half the elevation. Was probably 10 yards from him. When I interrupted him standing and licking a tree haha. We both had the same oh crap look on our face! Haha. I'll post pics later when I'm home

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2022, 07:55:13 AM »
Looks like summer just showed up.
I will be looking for animals going and coming from water sources.
With hot weather on the way ,berrys coming in later this year mostly August and September.
Seems to me that bears will be in transition mode from grass,stumps,roots, to berrys .
Right in that opening month of season.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2022, 10:08:30 AM »
I'm tagging along in here asking for some advice on this year.

I've got a spot I hunt in early August that always produces, so I'm not overly concerned about that time frame. However, a friend of mine and myself were planning a pack in high country hunt the 18th-22nd. Trying to apply the "50-60 days from melt out" rule looks like it rules out a lot of wilderness areas worth packing into. Anyone here with experience on the east slopes(or hell, west slopes too - we're open) have any input on how viable this plan is? Most of the areas with any glass-abilty are up at 4k+. This is all central/north cascades.

I'm kind of paralyzed at the moment - if its going to be more of a backpacking trip with guns I'd sooner leave the guns behind and go enjoy the high country in another fashion, or look for more low country area and involve the family.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2022, 10:56:12 AM »
Getting excited going out to the shop turn some bear calls. Thinking Osage orange for sound. Got my Vail permit yesterday hunting there again predator pit. See if I can locate some bears to call in.  Like the pictures good luck almost there.
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline Ntbutcher

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2022, 11:10:52 AM »

I've got a spot I hunt in early August that always produces, so I'm not overly concerned about that time frame. However, a friend of mine and myself were planning a pack in high country hunt the 18th-22nd. Trying to apply the "50-60 days from melt out" rule looks like it rules out a lot of wilderness areas worth packing into. Anyone here with experience on the east slopes(or hell, west slopes too - we're open) have any input on how viable this plan is? Most of the areas with any glass-abilty are up at 4k+. This is all central/north cascades.

I'm kind of paralyzed at the moment - if its going to be more of a backpacking trip with guns I'd sooner leave the guns behind and go enjoy the high country in another fashion, or look for more low country area and involve the family.

That's a bit early in my opinion. I've been seeing bears in upper elevations right now because it's green there and berries haven't started  once berries start they will move down and into timber. And they won't start coming out of the timber consistently until the blue berries at upper elevations start really going and the timber berries start fading. If they can eat in the timber they'll stay there. Not hard and fast rule, you can see them come out early and late day but makes them hard to get on. Mid September to early October is prime time for high elevation. First week of October is gang busters.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2022, 05:24:21 PM »

That's a bit early in my opinion. I've been seeing bears in upper elevations right now because it's green there and berries haven't started  once berries start they will move down and into timber. And they won't start coming out of the timber consistently until the blue berries at upper elevations start really going and the timber berries start fading. If they can eat in the timber they'll stay there. Not hard and fast rule, you can see them come out early and late day but makes them hard to get on. Mid September to early October is prime time for high elevation. First week of October is gang busters.

I’ve located a few areas that were melted out mid June that should have some berries by mid august(according to the 50-60 day rule anyway) but yeah I was assuming - especially this year - that later would definitely be better. I’m just trying to work with what I got. I have a Montana elk tag I’ll be taking a load of time off for in September so I don’t think I’ll get a chance to be up there then. Maybe early October, but weather tends to be a huge factor that time of year and trying to wait for a weather opening is everything. I’ve been up there when it’s clear in October, and I’ve also been up there where it’s decent down low but absolutely socked in up high.

I’m also sorta toying with going further east - but I don’t think that area lends itself to being a hike in style hunt(Sherman area).

Offline Ntbutcher

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »

I’ve located a few areas that were melted out mid June that should have some berries by mid august(according to the 50-60 day rule anyway) but yeah I was assuming - especially this year - that later would definitely be better. I’m just trying to work with what I got. I have a Montana elk tag I’ll be taking a load of time off for in September so I don’t think I’ll get a chance to be up there then. Maybe early October, but weather tends to be a huge factor that time of year and trying to wait for a weather opening is everything. I’ve been up there when it’s clear in October, and I’ve also been up there where it’s decent down low but absolutely socked in up high.

I’m also sorta toying with going further east - but I don’t think that area lends itself to being a hike in style hunt(Sherman area).

Sounds like you've got a spot then. I agree definitely favor those south faces early on. Look for them coming up out of the timber early morning and evening. They like those small openings and pockets. And they'll skirt the edges in the shade so be sure to keep an eye on those spots.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2022, 06:52:55 AM »
I'll be in the woods and ready on the opener.  After dealing with killing a bear in the 90-degree heat in June last year, not sure I want to shoot one until this heat wave has passed.  Put the right one in front of me, I'll be ready.  Still waiting for my 2nd tag in the mail.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2022, 08:40:21 AM »
I've been scouting a bit.
I'll be glassing some cuts .
With this heat ,who knows if anything will be moving.
Mainly hunt mornings in this heat,just so if I get lucky and spot something.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2022, 11:21:35 AM »
Everybody do there bear ID test.
Better get it done.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2022, 01:37:04 PM »
I've been scouting a bit.
I'll be glassing some cuts .
With this heat ,who knows if anything will be moving.
Mainly hunt mornings in this heat,just so if I get lucky and spot something.

For whatever it’s worth in my experience the best days to hunt bears are the calmest hottest days. For whatever reason they seem to be more eager to eat during the day when it’s really hot. Maybe they would rather be eating then laying around hot and miserable?

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2022, 02:18:25 PM »
I’ve killed several bears in the heat of the day
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2022, 08:39:04 PM »
A couple of bears I’ve gotten on cam down low in the last month

That brownie would be impressive in a couple of years!
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]