collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BogPod Carbon Fiber Sherpa tripod initial review  (Read 3282 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
BogPod Carbon Fiber Sherpa tripod initial review
« on: July 22, 2022, 04:29:46 PM »
Thought I would throw this out there for guys looking at hunting tripods.  Just received mine in the mail today and unboxed / played with it a bit.  Initial impression is this tripod is amazing for what I plan to use it for. 

At 4.5 lbs it is plenty light enough for me to throw on my pack and hike with it.  I know a guy can get a lighter one, but in most cases you give up stability and the ability to use it from a standing position (disclaimer.....a guy can easily shoot off this from a standing position but a straight spotter would not work from a standing position with anyone over five and half feet tall.  An angle spotter would work well from standing position.) 

The ball head is very smooth and locks up tight. 

The arca rail is nice as it will work with all arca adapters allowing you to switch optics to gun vise etc. 

The twist locks are easy to work and lock up tight. 

The legs only have two sections, which make this tripod a little longer when collapsed than I would like...but it allows the material / legs to be a little larger in diameter and maintain good stability.  The legs lock out into three different positions allow a person to shoot prone, sitting or standing......lots of versatility.  The center section comes in two pieces which allows for a person to shed weight if they don't want to use it from a standing position. 

The feet are rubber stopper style which will work well for everything I do.  I have never found the spikes to offer any advantage. 

It comes with a arca rail adapter for your spotter / binos / ect.  It comes with a nice carry case that I use to store it in but otherwise don't use when in the field. 

I have used the original bog death grip and absolutely love it.....with the exception of the size / weight.  This cuts the size in half and weight by 40% (If I remember the weight of the original death grip correctly).   My family primarily uses these tripods for ground blind rifle rest and for the when the kids are hunting.  I usually carry the tripod for the kids to shoot off when in the field.  I can see myself carrying this one when I am hunting. 

Can't wait to put it to the test this year.  I will report back with how it performs. 

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
Re: BogPod Carbon Fiber Sherpa tripod initial review
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 04:50:58 PM »
I have a BogPod tripod, I believe it's an HD and I use the larger yoke type head on it (you can balance a rifle on it). Doubt that it's as stable as shooting prone off a backpack but if you need to stand or sit it does the job. My gun range has a 300 yard bench which is mostly where I shoot from......and when I finish from the benchrest, I usually shoot several rounds from the BogPod. Not as accurate as the benchrest but the shots are accurate enough for deer/elk. I've read that the BogPod will allow you to shoot accurately to 150 yards but it seems OK for 300. Much beyond that, I'd want to get prone.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:55:45 PM by Fidelk »

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
My son took a mule deer from a seated position at 300 yards using the original Bog Death Grip and absolutely ten ringed his shot.....deer never took another step.  The original is solid as a rock and works amazing....it's just heavy and big.  He consistently practices to 500 using the same tripod.  Hope this Sherpa works equally as well. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 07:00:38 PM »
I'm looking forward to your review.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 11:30:08 AM »
Ok....took this out shooting, using the standard death grip side by side as a comparison. 

Standard death grip (carbon fiber) is flat out amazing....minus the weight and two dimensional head movement.  It is sturdy from all shooting positions to include standing.  If I don't have to carry it far, I will be taking the standard death grip for the simple reason you can shoot from a standing position and still have a super stable platform.   

The Sherpa coming in 3-4 lbs lighter and having a ball head really shines in the weight and ease of use category.  It is super packable, sturdy enough to hold my 13.5lb 338 lapua and is super stable when shooting from a kneeling / sitting / prone positions.  I absolutely love this tripod.  The ball head really allows the shooter to adjust in all terrains, regardless of how level the legs are.....allowing for quicker deployment.  The Arca adapter allows for the quick removal of the deathgrip head and addition of spotting scope or binoculars.  It came with a second arca rail as a bonus.  For the guys that have arca rails attached to their rifles, this would be pretty amazing and super easy. 

Overall....they both have their place and I'm super happy I own both.  The standard / heavier deathgrip will be used at the property where hiking long distances are not happening.  The sherpa will be attached to my pack for all other hunting situations, knowing that shooting from a standing position is not ideal. 

Here is the standard Deathgrip in use......as the season progresses, I hope to get some sherpa action pics. 
Second pic is right after a moose succumbed to acute lead poisoning.   :chuckle:

Offline Mulie87

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 11:41:40 AM »
Just the post I’ve been waiting for. I’m facing extremely bad timing with a surgery on my left (offhand) shoulder sept 29th just weeks before the modern rifle opener. I hunt from a blind so thought about getting a death grip bipod to shoot from so I don’t have to use my left arm to shoot.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 11:51:02 AM »
Just the post I’ve been waiting for. I’m facing extremely bad timing with a surgery on my left (offhand) shoulder sept 29th just weeks before the modern rifle opener. I hunt from a blind so thought about getting a death grip bipod to shoot from so I don’t have to use my left arm to shoot.

We use the standard (carbon fiber) death grip in our blinds and it is magical.  I imagine the sherpa would work equally as well, though the original death grip will likely give you more support for your shoulder due to its weight. 

Offline Mulie87

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 01:57:39 PM »
Good to know. Thanks for the advice, jrebel.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 07:17:21 AM »
Jrebel, thank you for the view. I'm curious about your comment regarding shooting from the standing position. I called Boghunt and they said the Sherpa height is the same as the standard death grip. Did you find that to be true? If so what is the reason you don't like the Sherpa for use in the standing position?

"The standard / heavier deathgrip will be used at the property where hiking long distances are not happening.  The sherpa will be attached to my pack for all other hunting situations, knowing that shooting from a standing position is not ideal. "

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »
Jrebel, thank you for the view. I'm curious about your comment regarding shooting from the standing position. I called Boghunt and they said the Sherpa height is the same as the standard death grip. Did you find that to be true? If so what is the reason you don't like the Sherpa for use in the standing position?

"The standard / heavier deathgrip will be used at the property where hiking long distances are not happening.  The sherpa will be attached to my pack for all other hunting situations, knowing that shooting from a standing position is not ideal. "

Bob.....

It is definitely not as tall, though close it is 5" shorter when fully extended.  To get to max height you have to extend the center pole to the absolute max......which makes it very very unstable.   For these reasons, I would not consider the Sherpa to be a "good" standing tripod.  Can you shoot from a standing position, yes...but there is a significant difference from the the original deathgrip to the Sherpa in this respect.  My son can and has made 500 yard standing shots from the deathgrip....he didn't like making standing shots of the Sherpa past a couple hundred. 

when the center post is on the Sherpa is at its lowest position, it is equally as stable as the deathgrip.....just in the seated / kneeling position. 

I took quite a few pics this morning to show the differences, hope that helps with my descriptions.....I'm not the most eloquent writer....LOL 

If you would like more pictures, let me know.  Happy to give these reviews.  Both have their pros and cons......and both are awesome tripods. 

First set of pics is both tripods fully extended and the 5" difference.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:04:27 AM by jrebel »

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 08:48:59 AM »
Second set of pics is the difference when they are apples to apples.  Fully extended without the center pole. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:02:23 AM by jrebel »

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 08:50:14 AM »
More pics of the differences in pole diameter. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:57:47 AM by jrebel »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 01:21:00 PM »
That's great information. I think having the ability to shoot while standing is worth it for me. Eight pounds is heavy but I don't expect to carry it very far, very often. I have the original BogPod which can be used standing and it quite a bit lighter, but obviously not as secure. If weight is a big issue I can take that.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »
Good review, thanks.  I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Deathgrip head and attaching it to my glassing tripod or putting a rail and attachment point on my rifle and arca mounting it to the tripod.  I'll probably go with the Deathgrip because it will get plenty of use with the kids around camp as well and can easily go from rifle to rifle.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 12:12:59 PM »
Does the head tilt on the death grip? The regular non Sherpa one? What kind of angles can you shoot at with it?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal