collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who uses .410 shotguns for upland???....I have questions.  (Read 5222 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Who uses .410 shotguns for upland???....I have questions.
« on: July 27, 2022, 09:02:02 PM »
Had an impulse buy today..... :chuckle: :chuckle:....and now own a .410 break action shotgun.  It is the turkey model and came with the turkey / extra full choke for TSS loads.  This is cool as I will be whacking a turkey with it at some point, but in the interim we will be targeting grouse.  What choke size do you guys like in your .410's for grouse? 

We have killed many grouse with a .410 with a fixed choke / non interchangeable.  I assume it is a modified but have never paid that much attention. 

What do you guys like for grouse in the .410???? 

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Who uses .410 shotguns for upland???....I have questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 09:06:04 PM »
Modified for sure.  I have never turkey hunted with mine.  Run modified in both of them.  Great grouse caliber.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 09:20:38 PM »
 My grandson wacks them with a old partner break 410 with full choke.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:05:49 PM by ghosthunter »
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 09:40:51 PM »
I have a 410 CZ Drake over and under. Improved cylinder and modified. Hand load foreverything from quail to turkey. Including waterfowl. I love bismuth for standard game loads but starting to hand load tss as well with great results. Pic is a 9 inch square ar 25 yards with 9 shot tss.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline HooknoseHunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »
I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster .410 with 25” barrel and fixed full choke. I use apex Turkey ninja TSS for turkeys and Remington 3” #6s for grouse. I use 3” federal #7.5’s for quail. I’ll never hunt upland again (except for pheasants) with anything other than my .410.
Western Washington is a *censored*hole country

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 11:55:14 AM »
My .410 double is a Stoeger Uplander, with fixed fulls.  I use a 3-inch No. 6 or 7 1/2 for grouse.
Always like a little challenge, and those who fancy themselves as upscale sportsmen using 28-gauge guns may think they're "hoity toity," but it is the .410-bore shooter who really has the right to strut!  :chuckle: :IBCOOL:

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline hawks33

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 12:17:11 PM »
I have a couple OU break action savage .410s I've used for grouse. I've had no issue dropping them with 8 shot. Using a break action has made me a better shot...take my time more than I did with my pump 20 gauge

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 04:05:18 PM »
I have an old Mossberg .410 pump with a fixed full choke.  Great grouse gun.  I also use a Stevens 16 gauge side by side with a fixed modified and fixed full.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 05:33:43 PM »
I have two .410’s with fixed chokes. One modified one full. Go full 6’s or 7 1/2’s
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 06:13:22 PM »
Thanks guys....you all confirmed what I was thinking.  Just ordered a full and a Modified choke.  Probably didn't need both, but what the hay....I like having options. 

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 06:34:24 AM »
http://www.thegunmag.com/dont-pity-the-pipsqueak-the-410-still-gets-it-done/

Inspired by this thread, I wrote the little piece for TheGunMag.com, where I am editor-in-chief.  I hope you all enjoy!

Pity Not, the ‘Pipsqueak’—The .410 Still Gets It Done
By Dave Workman
Editor-in-Chief
I have to sometimes chuckle at winghsooters who have adopted the 28-gauge as their smoothbore of choice for upland birds and game, claiming it to be the more “sporting” choice for a real challenge, and then raise an eyebrow and look down their noses at the diminutive .410 bore.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline crazywednesday

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 10:17:06 PM »
Damn you all. Just as I was getting used to my 20 ga for the last 3 years; now I have to buy a 410! This is ridiculous. Actually, what are your best 410 recommendations for upland hunting pheasant/quail/partridge? I have a firearms problem. Im only bitching because Im out of room in the safes.
Justin

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 06:49:03 AM »
Damn you all. Just as I was getting used to my 20 ga for the last 3 years; now I have to buy a 410! This is ridiculous. Actually, what are your best 410 recommendations for upland hunting pheasant/quail/partridge? I have a firearms problem. Im only bitching because Im out of room in the safes.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :IBCOOL:

Well, gotta keep up with us sophisticates!  If you read my story (above) in The Gun Mag, you'll get some tips on loads.
I think the .410 is a great little scattergun, and it is highly underrated by some folks.

GROUSE SEASON OPENS ONE MONTH FROM TODAY (9/15/22)  Read your game regs.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 07:26:53 AM »
Had an impulse buy today..... :chuckle: :chuckle:....and now own a .410 break action shotgun.  It is the turkey model and came with the turkey / extra full choke for TSS loads.  This is cool as I will be whacking a turkey with it at some point, but in the interim we will be targeting grouse.  What choke size do you guys like in your .410's for grouse? 

We have killed many grouse with a .410 with a fixed choke / non interchangeable.  I assume it is a modified but have never paid that much attention. 

Just keep your eyes open for shells.  They were nearly impossible to find for 2 years and now finally showing up on shelves again.  I would get a few boxes, so you have them just in case.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 08:06:24 AM »

Just keep your eyes open for shells.  They were nearly impossible to find for 2 years and now finally showing up on shelves again.  I would get a few boxes, so you have them just in case.

We went on the hu t for ammo immediately after buying the gun.  I now have 200 rounds of 2 1/2” 7.5 and 50 rounds of 3” 6’s.   I paid a premium for the 3” but thought it would be nice to have.  Still look every time I hit up a gun store.   Also will be looking for a good turkey load for next spring. 

My son keeps telling me, the grouse are in trouble this year.    :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal