collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Echlin vs OEM  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Echlin vs OEM
« on: August 15, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »
Without delving into my problems with my pickup, I am not able to buy OEM electrical parts as they are unavailable. Napa sells Echlin, is that a good alternative?

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: Echlin vs OEM
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 07:32:44 PM »
I’ve used lots of echlin parts from napa for many years with good results. It’s all I use.

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:07:03 PM »
I’ve used lots of echlin parts from napa for many years with good results. It’s all I use.
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the Echlin part. Hope it cures my problem.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 11:00:30 PM »
👍

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 07:35:21 AM »
They have been around for a long time and have been noted for quality.
Hope (?) it fixes your problem to!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 08:08:36 AM »
It's as good an alternative as any other. There's about a 95% chance that it's the same manufacturer that sells to Auto Zone or Carquest or...
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 09:03:14 PM »
It's as good an alternative as any other. There's about a 95% chance that it's the same manufacturer that sells to Auto Zone or Carquest or...

I think you are right.

What I'm trying to replace is an ignition switch on a 03 Chevy s-10. Last September i had some weird electrical problems and one of the parts i threw at it in hopes that it would fix my problem was a new ignition switch...that I bought from Oreilys,... "Standard" brand. Now i have new problems and am wondering if the "cheap" switch I put in last fall is the problem.

Today i got my "Echlin" brand ignition switch from Napa. I saved the box from the switch I put in last September. Comparing...both switches were made in Taiwan...

So, are they the same switch made by the same supplier but with different branding? Thus, my hopes of getting a better quality product then what I bought last fall are all for naught?

If I would have gotten an AC Delco/GM OEM switch would it have been built at the same factory with the same standards just different packaging?

Hope to get the switch changed out in the next 1-5 days and then i will do a visual comparison between the Standard and the Echlin switches.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 06:41:43 AM »

So, are they the same switch made by the same supplier but with different branding? Thus, my hopes of getting a better quality product then what I bought last fall are all for naught?

Pretty much, what issue/s are you having?

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 08:28:15 AM »

Pretty much, what issue/s are you having?
Long winded but detailed post  :sry:

On a cold morning, below lets say 63 degrees, when I turn the key to the ON position , the fuel gauge , odometer and gear selection will not work/light up. As the day warms up i can go out and turn it on and they work. Over lets say 70 degrees and everything lights up and is normal.

If I go ahead and engage the starter when those gauges are not working, the truck starts right up and runs fine. However when i go to put it in reverse, the transmission clunks. It backs up fine but then when I put it in drive it is in 3rd gear.

As long as those guages are working when I turn the key on, i can engage the starter and the truck runs fine and the transmission works mostly normal.

Last weekend when it was in the mid 60's, I turned the key on, the gauges did not light up and I tapped on the steering column where the switch is and they turned on. So I concluded the switch might be my problem. However when i went out on Monday or Tuesday morning when the temp was in the mid 50's and tapped on it, the gauges did not work.

To me this seems like a printed circuit board/electrical connection problem. As things warm, the tiny connections join back up. I had intermittent problems like this in an old Case tractor once till the tractor just stopped working altogether and it ended up being a printed circuit board with about 20 wires going to it. I was extremely lucky to figure this out as the head service tech at the dealership basically told me all of his mechanics were too young to figure out old tractor problems. (Is made in 1984 old? To me its not but to folks who sell tractors its ancient)

To back up the story a bit, last September I had a dead dead battery one morning. I took the 3 year old battery in to exchange it for a new one. The battery guy told me he thought the battery was fine, that I might have other issues. I went ahead and bought a new one just to eliminate that as a problem source. To make a long story short, despite having a really clean connection, a new positive battery cable ended up solving my dead battery problem. The cable that came with the truck must have broken down and been corroded on the inside. I didn't figure this out before i threw a few parts at it including a new starter switch from Oreillys. Fast forward to June of this year and my current problem started. I ended up buying a new negative battery cable and made sure all my connections were clean and secure and THOUGHT i had fixed it. It was fixed because it was July and every morning was warm enough to not have problems. Cooler mornings have revealed its not fixed.  :dunno:

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:44 AM »
Well that ranks about a 8.5 on my weird crap o meter for sure. That said, I do see the logic in your thinking. Let me know how it goes please. Do you have a bunch of keys or other goodies on your key ring?

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 09:16:11 AM »
Well that ranks about a 8.5 on my weird crap o meter for sure. That said, I do see the logic in your thinking. Let me know how it goes please. Do you have a bunch of keys or other goodies on your key ring?
No, just the house key, FOB and my late dogs little name tag.

On a sidenote, I've done hours of internet searches on this problem and I came upon one thread on one forum that a posters problem matched my problem. They were pondering that it was the starter switch. But OF COURSE...OF COURSE!...they never updated the 6 year old thread to say if they resolved the problem!  :bash:

Now i just need to get in the mood to get on my knees and contort myself under the steering column to put the new switch in. I'll report back if it works.

My other thought was that it might be the ECM.  :dunno: One step at a time.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 09:27:56 AM »
The other popular item on those is the instrument cluster itself. There is a fair amount of communication that goes through the cluster.

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »
I put the starter switch in Sunday morning and all was good.

Monday morning the gauges worked at 66 degrees. I actually drove it to town in the afternoon.
Yesterday at 62 degree it worked.
Today at 70 degrees my problems returned. Turned key to on position, fuel gauge and gear indicator/odometer did not work. After maybe 8-10 seconds they did. Turned key off and back on, didnt work for maybe 5 seconds. Frustrating.

Ponder for a bit and investigate the instrument cluster being the cause next I guess. I have a feeling I will have to give up and pay someone else to fix it. $$  :(

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 11:27:30 AM »
I'll send you my card.  8)

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 06:30:21 PM »
I'll send you my card.  8)
Hmmm...in a bit of a bad mood.... Wife came home and i told her about my frustrations with my s-10. She said at this point my s-10 with almost 280,000 miles is a hobby! A hobby?!?!  >:(

Ehhh, she doesnt understand the importance of treating a pickup right, keep it running, give it hope for another adventure. I say, a mans only as good as he treats his best rig! :tup:

Next step to working on my hobby...eerrrr, my investment,... is to tackle the instrument cluster.

I'll get this thing fixed if it bankrupts me or drives me crazy. Its 300,000 miles or bust...gulp  :o

The vultures are circling...i see you Woodchuck!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]