collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dayton Wa. Rifle Bull Tag  (Read 13225 times)

Offline Travis08

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Dayton Wa. Rifle Bull Tag
« on: August 24, 2022, 05:05:33 PM »
Hello All,

Hate to be that guy, but I am looking for any information on bulls in the Dayton WA, unit.

After 18 years of putting in, my dad has drawn the quality bull Dayton rifle tag. He is in decent shape for a 58 year old guy. But, these recent years has slowed him down a little, he is still determined to hike his rear off and earn a decent bull.

We have hunted this unit in the past, and know what it is going to take to locate a bull. That was 6 years ago though, and I know a lot has changed. I have talked with a few folks, and it sounds like it still holds a few good bulls. However, the herd has been struggling due to the wolves and cougars, and it is getting harder and harder to find a quality bull.

Dad and I are still going to give it our absolute best to give him a chance at an awesome bull and a killer experience. We have been scouting and will continue to scout until his season starts. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 09:53:22 PM by Travis08 »

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Dayton Wa. Rifle Bull Tag
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 05:36:38 PM »
There will be naysayers but it’s still a great hunt. The few days before the season will be very valuable. Shoot what you want and have a great time…huntin trip with your pops, that’s what it’s all about!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline jburkett

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 08:03:50 PM »
What are the hunt dates for this tag? I will be down there from 26 of September through the 3rd of October. On a muzzleloader buck hunt and would be happy to report any and all bulls I find
I don't always shoot big mule deer, but when I do, it's with a bow tech!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 08:55:46 PM »
Tip # 1:  Don't ever name drop any specific area on a public forum unless you're wanting company, no matter how popular it may seem.

Pointer #1: You said you know what it's going to take to locate a bull, so I would focus on the route.

This is a great tag your dad has and a highly sought after tag. Enjoy every minute of it and I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully somebody hunting down there has some valuable recent knowledge that will help out with the hunt. Most of all, enjoy the hell out of every minute you have down there.:tup:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 09:20:56 PM »
Tip # 1:  Don't ever name drop any specific area on a public forum unless you're wanting company, no matter how popular it may seem.

Pointer #1: You said you know what it's going to take to locate a bull, so I would focus on the route.

This is a great tag your dad has and a highly sought after tag. Enjoy every minute of it and I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully somebody hunting down there has some valuable recent knowledge that will help out with the hunt. Most of all, enjoy the hell out of every minute you have down there.:tup:

Great advice.

No more mentioning specific areas... it just really upsets people and will derail your thread.

Personal messages might come your way from people in the know if you offer help to others.

I'm not trying to be negative, but you'll probably get much better responses if you contribute some.

Definitely best of luck to you and your pops......    I'm jealous.   Make the best memories.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Travis08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 09:51:57 PM »
Thanks for the pointers. Definitely is not my intention to upset anyone on the forum. Just very excited for the opportunity my dad has and figured I would reach out to the community for advice. Thanks for the luck!

Offline Travis08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 10:01:51 PM »
What are the hunt dates for this tag? I will be down there from 26 of September through the 3rd of October. On a muzzleloader buck hunt and would be happy to report any and all bulls I find

Hunt dates are Oct.24th to Nov.6th. We plan to be over there every weekend starting in September until the hunt starts. Thanks! Any info on some elk would be absolutely awesome. We will keep an eye out for bucks for you as well.

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »

Hunt dates are Oct.24th to Nov.6th. We plan to be over there every weekend starting in September until the hunt starts. Thanks! Any info on some elk would be absolutely awesome. We will keep an eye out for bucks for you as well.

Travis 08:  I guess I am one of the naysayers that Mr Mykiss referred to, as I will tell you that the elk remaining in the Dayton unit are a small fraction of the numbers we have historically seen.  I was the one and only Dayton muzzleloader tag holder this year and have spoken with the only archery tag holder.  While the archery tag holder successfully harvested a beautiful bull, I was not so lucky.
I waited over 20 years to draw that tag only to be severely disappointed with the low numbers I encountered.  I had five very experienced elk hunters in my camp, all to help me locate a respectable bull.  In the first six days before the season opener, I we saw seven wolves, and a huge bear but not one single elk.  The bulls were not talking, and we found it increasingly frustrating.  The first five days of my special permit season were more of the same, then finally on the sixth day we spotted a small group of bulls and cows on private property where I had permission.  The largest of the three bulls was probably in the 320" to 330" range, one I never would have even given consideration in years past.  I took a 204-yard shot at the bull, missed, and then tore my Achilles tendon on the hillside I was on.  With the injury my season was over.
Clearly, there are still some nice bulls in the unit, but they are few and far between.  You have the right idea, in going over early to scout.
Send me a PM if you would like some suggestions on places to look, and I wish your father the best of luck.     

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 10:08:54 AM »
Wow UC sorry to hear that is what this hunt has turned into. I was so blessed to draw my muzzy tag when I did.

Praying you heal quickly and completely!

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 10:39:02 AM »
Wow UC sorry to hear that is what this hunt has turned into. I was so blessed to draw my muzzy tag when I did.

Praying you heal quickly and completely!
Thanks.  I still had a great trip with some of my best friends.  No regrets

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 12:13:32 PM »
Dayton is probably the hardest hit area in the blues by the extreme kitty cat problem. Plenty of elk there especially if you're spending that much time scouting.  That first week before general season opens should be your best bet.  I've helped some others find elk in that unit before . I haven't stepped foot in it this year tho with out of state archery elk and then October filled with vacations to keep wife happy. Haha.

If it's my tag, focus in on dark north faced slopes. I've seen years where they are still bugling and herded up with cows in late October. Chase mountain is usually what everyone always says but I'd get steeper and deeper to find elk these days. U can message me if u want to know more, I won't upset those forum police by name dropping notellum ridge and so on..

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2022, 12:34:25 PM »
Sent you a PM
Zonk Volmer

Offline Travis08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 01:20:43 PM »

Travis 08:  I guess I am one of the naysayers that Mr Mykiss referred to, as I will tell you that the elk remaining in the Dayton unit are a small fraction of the numbers we have historically seen.  I was the one and only Dayton muzzleloader tag holder this year and have spoken with the only archery tag holder.  While the archery tag holder successfully harvested a beautiful bull, I was not so lucky.
I waited over 20 years to draw that tag only to be severely disappointed with the low numbers I encountered.  I had five very experienced elk hunters in my camp, all to help me locate a respectable bull.  In the first six days before the season opener, I we saw seven wolves, and a huge bear but not one single elk.  The bulls were not talking, and we found it increasingly frustrating.  The first five days of my special permit season were more of the same, then finally on the sixth day we spotted a small group of bulls and cows on private property where I had permission.  The largest of the three bulls was probably in the 320" to 330" range, one I never would have even given consideration in years past.  I took a 204-yard shot at the bull, missed, and then tore my Achilles tendon on the hillside I was on.  With the injury my season was over.
Clearly, there are still some nice bulls in the unit, but they are few and far between.  You have the right idea, in going over early to scout.
Send me a PM if you would like some suggestions on places to look, and I wish your father the best of luck.     

Dang, I am sorry to hear about your hunt and injury, I wish you a speedy recovery. Glad to see you are in good spirits and were able to enjoy the hunt with your friends. I have already had an amazing time with my dad just scouting. I cant wait for his hunt to start. Sending you a PM soon.

Offline Travis08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 01:22:59 PM »
Dayton is probably the hardest hit area in the blues by the extreme kitty cat problem. Plenty of elk there especially if you're spending that much time scouting.  That first week before general season opens should be your best bet.  I've helped some others find elk in that unit before . I haven't stepped foot in it this year tho with out of state archery elk and then October filled with vacations to keep wife happy. Haha.

If it's my tag, focus in on dark north faced slopes. I've seen years where they are still bugling and herded up with cows in late October. Chase mountain is usually what everyone always says but I'd get steeper and deeper to find elk these days. U can message me if u want to know more, I won't upset those forum police by name dropping notellum ridge and so on..

Yes, every trail cam we placed has had multiple pictures of cougars. I appreciate your post and am sending a PM.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 09:32:20 PM »
It is getting suckier and suckier that’s for sure. However we’ve seen the driving all around telling everyone you see how good it used to be and asking if they could tell you where a bull is tactic crash and burn whilst other hunters piled em up. 2019.
I was also told by a tag holder that you needed to shoot 900yds and then they left camp when it snowed…I dunno how they did but I kilt a bull at 83yds in 2’ of snow the next day on the opener. Other tag holders Dayton, WW and otherwise did the same. Bottom line is that you should hunt when you have the tag, hunt as hard as you want and enjoy it. But for heavens sake enjoy it…nobody wants to hear a tag holder cry about having a coveted tag and how it’s not just raining 350s upon them. See ucwarden saying he had a great trip with best friends, now that’s what it’s all about!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal