collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Training birds  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Training birds
« on: August 28, 2022, 10:45:20 PM »
I have chukar and bobwhites (north of Gig Harbor) until they are gone. If you want to tune your pup before season I have a few birds. The chukar are $15 and the bobs are $7 until I am out. Do not think I will renew my licenses next year so these may be it for a while or ever. Just getting too expensive to keep doing. Let me know if you need some!

Best of luck to all in the upcoming seasons!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Training birds
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 06:03:37 AM »
You lasted longer than many.   Sorry to hear you might be wrapping up raising birds.   My pens became flower gardens.   Coons are still an issue once in awhile, but at least my Dahlias dont eat corn.  :)

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 07:32:12 AM »
Thanks Doug, I will take that as a compliment, though I know my wife views it differently! Lol

I will be keeping some of the rare stuff and of course the mountain quail. I am just not doing gamebirds (licensing, inspections, testing, etc), lots of folks want them but don't want to pay for them. When the bird food bill was over $1000 a month it time to do things different. Used to average about $400, I have switched to the cheapest food I can feed and still have good healthy birds, I buy at the ton plus level to get the best price, I put 4 or 5 months' worth of feed and electricity and time into a bird and guys want me to sell them for $5.....don't work. It's time to redo the pens as well so it all works out as good timing. We will see what the future holds.

Sad thing is there are fewer and fewer each year, birds that were common in aviaries just 10 years ago are so hard or come by and most are crossed and poor quality. Aviculture will never be the same unfortunately.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 10:33:18 AM »
Do you think pigeons will be the mainstay for most folks in the future?

I love the singing of Bob whites and wish I had the rooms for some at my home.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 11:40:29 AM »
The most popular trainer on the east side is purely pigeons. From what I've seen from other trainers in idaho and DIY guys are all raising pigeons as well.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 12:21:09 PM »
The most popular trainer on the east side is purely pigeons. From what I've seen from other trainers in idaho and DIY guys are all raising pigeons as well.

Why is that? Easier raise? Better breeders? Eat less?

Or are they just easier and cheaper to buy during peak demand Because they can be caught?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »

Or are they just easier and cheaper to buy during peak demand Because they can be caught?

I think a combination of those things. Also if you do it right and you get them homed to your place you can re-use birds over and over as long as the dog is doing it's job right. Then when they get to be too old or used up you use them for "kill birds".

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 04:04:16 PM »

I think a combination of those things. Also if you do it right and you get them homed to your place you can re-use birds over and over as long as the dog is doing it's job right. Then when they get to be too old or used up you use them for "kill birds".

:yeah: All of the above. No permits no licensing, no trouble finding a few to start out with are all reasons. The homing and "recycling" aspect is huge with serious guys or trainers. Pigeons raise their own young, no heat no fuss. Its two at a time but it's almost year-round and if you're not selling or shooting too many you will always have some. That said lots of folks who run trials still love to use the bird of the trial just before the test. Some dogs treat pigeons differently than actual gamebirds.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 09:59:07 PM »

:yeah: All of the above. No permits no licensing, no trouble finding a few to start out with are all reasons. The homing and "recycling" aspect is huge with serious guys or trainers. Pigeons raise their own young, no heat no fuss. Its two at a time but it's almost year-round and if you're not selling or shooting too many you will always have some. That said lots of folks who run trials still love to use the bird of the trial just before the test. Some dogs treat pigeons differently than actual gamebirds.

Thank you for weighing in. I love game birds like you have raised but  realize its a tough gig and if pidgins are the new normal I'm going to make sure I have access to them.   :tup:

Confucius

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 08:26:59 AM »
I could probably let a few hen pheasant go if folks were in the Chehalis area.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal