collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: West Bar modern cow permit  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: West Bar modern cow permit
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 09:18:21 PM »
When I was younger we would camp at Sumas springs and hunt upland birds from there all the down to the bar. Occasionally we would see the elk coming up for water there. It was fun then couldn’t do it now.🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline sneakyjake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 03:29:54 PM »
How bad of a road and drive is the Brewton/west bar road? 48 miles 2.5 hrs from ellensburg. Can you take a camper in.  Is it just better to cross in a boat. Sorry for all the questions, it’s just a short hunt and you get one shot to get in.

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 09:11:41 PM »
How bad of a road and drive is the Brewton/west bar road? 48 miles 2.5 hrs from ellensburg. Can you take a camper in.  Is it just better to cross in a boat. Sorry for all the questions, it’s just a short hunt and you get one shot to get in.
Either road in is at times a one lane road. If someone is coming the opposite direction, one of you will have to move out the way. Bringing an extra spare tire is prudent. Being able to radio out is a good measure for safety, some cellular carriers don’t work on the way down.

It’s definitely a truck road, you might need four wheel drive, or a side by side. Not something you want to take a standard Subaru down into. I do not recall ever seeing a camper or trailer being brought down either road into the valley. I wouldn’t suggest doing it. A wall tent would be easier to bring in.
You might stop by the orchard and get some apples for snacks while in you’re in the bottom.

If it’s been raining, you definitely should be driving on tires that are capable of handling big wet rocks mud, wet sand.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 09:29:14 PM »
Either road in is at times a one lane road. If someone is coming the opposite direction, one of you will have to move out the way. Bringing an extra spare tire is prudent. Being able to radio out is a good measure for safety, some cellular carriers don’t work on the way down.

It’s definitely a truck road, you might need four wheel drive, or a side by side. Not something you want to take a standard Subaru down into. I do not recall ever seeing a camper or trailer being brought down either road into the valley. I wouldn’t suggest doing it. A wall tent would be easier to bring in.
You might stop by the orchard and get some apples for snacks while in you’re in the bottom.

If it’s been raining, you definitely should be driving on tires that are capable of handling big wet rocks mud, wet sand.

Yep
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline shootem

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2022, 11:27:20 PM »
If you are still looking for intel PM me. I had the tag a couple years ago and spend a lot of time in Crescent Bar.

Offline chrisg6x6

• Pilgrim
    • Chris Gregersen
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »
I have a place in CB and spend tons of time on West Bar and have hundreds of hours watching those elk and walking that country. From what I have witnessed its an opening day tag, once the first group of hunters go in and start chasing elk they all move out of the unit and return the second the season closes. I think you would be very disappointed driving all that way and setting up a camp for a one day hunt. Park at the CB lookout the night before, locate the elk so you have a general idea what direction to head in the morning and go fill your tag. Closing the distance wont be a problem with all the topography either. Also don't let those cliffs fool you, those elk have multiple routes out of that area. PM me if you need any more info or help I'd be glad to help and good luck.

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 05:37:58 PM »
I have a place in CB and spend tons of time on West Bar and have hundreds of hours watching those elk and walking that country. From what I have witnessed its an opening day tag, once the first group of hunters go in and start chasing elk they all move out of the unit and return the second the season closes. I think you would be very disappointed driving all that way and setting up a camp for a one day hunt. Park at the CB lookout the night before, locate the elk so you have a general idea what direction to head in the morning and go fill your tag. Closing the distance wont be a problem with all the topography either. Also don't let those cliffs fool you, those elk have multiple routes out of that area. PM me if you need any more info or help I'd be glad to help and good luck.

Great first post and very nice offer, Welcome aboard!

Offline shmacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2022, 10:37:36 AM »
Does anyone know how the water level is around west bar/ crescent bar right now?

Offline ALLTERRAIN

• Tracker
  • Groups: wenatchee mtn. masters, pnw4wda
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2022, 08:02:59 PM »
Definitely boat across. West bar is closed to motorized use this time of the year till mid April. Like it’s been suggested, stop up above off the hwy the day before to glass the elk so you know where to start off in the morning.

Offline howlow

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »
I have hunted the unit many of times.  With a boat remember the river fluctuations I have helped many of times getting boats off the shores. 

Offline Moose Master

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2022, 01:38:47 PM »
Good job congrats to your success.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2022, 06:08:52 PM »
??????????????????????? Did I miss sumpin?
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Bone collector 13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2022, 10:28:07 AM »
There is only 1 herd on the bar currently. Might be a crap shoot come opening day

Offline sneakyjake

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2022, 09:16:47 AM »
Thank you everyone for the help.  Much appreciated.  Spot on with the boat and managing the water fluctuations.  Other problems came up, but we survived and I can work on them later.  Spotted the herd from 1.5 away.  Got to within 800 yards.  Didn’t think we would get a shot until a big bull pushed them towards us. Shot was between 500-600. Clean hit to the heart. Clean pack out.

Offline sneakyjake

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 09:19:59 AM »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal