collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boiling euro twice?  (Read 6060 times)

Offline PsoasHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Boiling euro twice?
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:14:11 AM »
Has anyone ever boiled a skull twice? The first boil on my elk was in a pot too small. I thought I could get the meat off the back of the skull, but it's proving difficult. I have a bigger pot now,  but worry about the skull maybe getting brittle if I boil it again. Any thoughts on this?

The first boil was 3 hours about 2 weeks ago.

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
Re: Boiling euro twice?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:29:41 AM »
I've "boiled" a skull like three times before, but I never actually boil them. Just a hot simmer basically. It did weaken the skull a little bit, but a little super glue on those nasal ridge lines was good and it's been on my wall for three or four  years haha. I'd do it again for a short bit to loosen it up and then pick at the flesh and then simmer again in clean water to get the oil out.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:53:40 AM »
I can say that if you boil a skull too long you can damage some of the thin inner nasal bones. Teeth also, but they're easy to replace. The heavier bones would be hard to damgae. You probably would never notice the inner bones unless you look inside.

I wouldn't say I have enough experience to know how long is too long. Probably couldn't go too wrong by keeping an eye on it through a combination soak/heat without actually boiling it real hard as Phildo suggested.

"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:25 AM »
I was told by a taxidermist.....8-12 hours in a heavy simmer (not boil...but just below boil) with good amount of dawn dish soap in the water....and the meat will just fall off.  I was telling him how I did it and he laughed and said don't do that anymore.....boil, pick meat, boil, pick meat, repeat till clean 6-8 hours later.  He said I was working to hard and damaging the nasal bones that way. 

You will be fine boiling it a second time.  Use dawn dish soap and don't "boil"....also have patience. 

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 09:04:53 AM »
I did this guy twice. First time with dawn and the second time with oxi clean powder. No noticeable weakening of the bone.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 09:09:06 AM »
I did this guy twice. First time with dawn and the second time with oxi clean powder. No noticeable weakening of the bone.

That's a pretty cool skull.  Was his nose noticeably bent when he was alive? 

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 09:15:55 AM »
I had a euro that got away from me and I flat boiled all out for about 30 minutes. The nose bent like that and actually broke. The connective tissues in the nose contracted like rubber bands. I tried splinting it back and simmering to see if it would correct and it didn't.

I ended up using stainless wire in the nasal cavity to piece it back together. It looks good enough high up on the wall.

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 09:26:22 AM »

It was a dead-head I found with most of the meat missing. It was bent like that when I found it, not from the boil.

Offline CamoDup

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Aint here for a long time. Here for a good time
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:49:30 AM »
You will be fine if it's just a simmer. You don't ever want to have your pot on a rolling boil... it's too hot and will damage the nose pieces. My process is this.. Add in a few squirts of dawn dish soap and get the water to a simmer. Simmer the head in there for about an hour or so and pull out to check and if the meat is somewhat easy to pull off. If it is I'll start pressure washing the meat off but being careful not to hit the antlers with the pressure washer because it will discolor the antlers. After I have most of the meat off and the brain out I will put it back into the pot for another simmer. Keep repeating this until it's all clean. Once all the meat is off, clean out your pot and add in water and a few bottles of hydrogen peroxide and heat to a simmer again. Make sure the antlers are wrapped with tape and suran wrap because the peroxide will lighten the antlers. Add in your skull and let it sit for another hour or so. Pull it out and let dry. Look up White Bone Creations on YouTube. He explains this process and it's super easy but messy. I can have a euro done start to finish in about 4-5 hours. 

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 10:02:48 AM »
I use powdered borax (20 Mule Team) in the boil.  The meat turns to jelly and it helps degrease it.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 10:49:18 AM »
Oxiclean + Dawn and I didn't even need hydrogen peroxide - though for ultra white get the hair dressers 40 stuff off amazon or local hair stylist.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 12:15:50 PM »
You will be fine if it's just a simmer. You don't ever want to have your pot on a rolling boil... it's too hot and will damage the nose pieces. My process is this.. Add in a few squirts of dawn dish soap and get the water to a simmer. Simmer the head in there for about an hour or so and pull out to check and if the meat is somewhat easy to pull off. If it is I'll start pressure washing the meat off but being careful not to hit the antlers with the pressure washer because it will discolor the antlers. After I have most of the meat off and the brain out I will put it back into the pot for another simmer. Keep repeating this until it's all clean. Once all the meat is off, clean out your pot and add in water and a few bottles of hydrogen peroxide and heat to a simmer again. Make sure the antlers are wrapped with tape and suran wrap because the peroxide will lighten the antlers. Add in your skull and let it sit for another hour or so. Pull it out and let dry. Look up White Bone Creations on YouTube. He explains this process and it's super easy but messy. I can have a euro done start to finish in about 4-5 hours.
My exact process, I do about 15-20 skulls a year between friends and family.   Always turn out great.

Offline PsoasHunter

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 12:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice and tips guys, it's going back in the pot.

Also, thanks for providing the correct recommendation on boiling vs simmering:  I don't boil them, I keep it at a low simmer also but realize the confusion my wording caused. Thanks!

Offline Ricochet

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »

It was a dead-head I found with most of the meat missing. It was bent like that when I found it, not from the boil.

Nascar buck, really good at left turns.  :chuckle:
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

Offline bugs n bones

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA, SCI
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 02:05:33 PM »
When you boil a skull your cooking the grease into the skull and degrading the bone

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal