collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nosler brass quality  (Read 3608 times)

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Nosler brass quality
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »
I’m aware that the load is probably pushing a belted case pretty hard , but if I can change brass brands and get a few more reloads vs changing load I’m going to give it a try . Thanks for the replies

If I read that right, then you are using the same load in different brands of brass, yes?  If so, going forward with your reloading, it's generally best to reduce and work back up when switching brands of brass because it all will say Rem 7mm mag but that doesn't mean it'll all have the same case capacity.

Offline Gun smoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2022, 07:25:23 PM »
B23 , yes that was my plan . Makes sense to back off and work back up , how far would a guy go ? I currently have zero over pressure indicators with the nosler brass . Unless we’re counting the enlarged belt as overpressure . Gunsmith didn’t say if it was caused by the reloading process or the firing , just that he’s seen it before specific to nosler/Norma brass . What do you think ? Thx

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 05:12:28 AM »
B23 , yes that was my plan . Makes sense to back off and work back up , how far would a guy go ? I currently have zero over pressure indicators with the nosler brass . Unless we’re counting the enlarged belt as overpressure . Gunsmith didn’t say if it was caused by the reloading process or the firing , just that he’s seen it before specific to nosler/Norma brass . What do you think ? Thx

I can't think of anything else, except pressure, that'd be stretching the belted area of your cases so in the brand of brass your stretching the base area on I'd back off at least a full grain of powder, maybe even more.  You can always work back up. 

Offline Gun smoke

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 06:02:02 AM »
I’ll give it a try , better safe than sorry . Thx

Offline jamesjett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2022, 08:20:07 AM »

I have worked up to 61.4g of 4831 in my 7MM Rem Mag.  I am on my fourth round with this brass and had zero signs of over-pressure.  I was thinking maybe it was just that batch of brass you have but if a gun builder has seen it before maybe there is more to it.  I use RCBS FL dies and have been happy with them.  Keep us updated on the results from your worked up loads.

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 08:49:40 AM »
I don't know how well they work but Larry Willis makes a collet resizing die that's supposed to help with belted case bulge.  Maybe take a look at getting one of his collet dies as another option.

Offline royalbull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 08:02:34 PM »
I have had no luck with Nosler brass, purchased a .28 Nosler and bought 5 boxes of ammo to break in gun. Fifty rounds were used to break in rifle per Christensen Arms, used the other fifty to warm up the barrel when I would test my reloads. I load max loads per manufacture reloading manuals. I used Berger, Nosler, Barnes and Hornady bullets in my testing with several powders listed for each. I had primers blow and necks split. I finally found ADG brass and purchased 200 new cases, loaded same exact loads with no issues. I use Norma brass in my 30-378 with zero issues. I won't use Nosler brass again.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 06:22:19 AM »
i had a custom rifle built in 7 SAUM.  difficult to find brass for the last few years.    I bought Nosler brass and gun builder informed me that the thickness of the neck was too thick and he was getting too much pressure leading to inconsistent loads.   now, i am learning the trade of neck turning to get proper spec on neck wall thickness.   I can't find any other brass at this point.

Offline Gun smoke

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2022, 10:41:52 AM »
update : re worked up load in Remington brass . Ended at exact powder charge with no effect on pressure or accuracy ! Pretty happy about that . So far it Seems Remington brass is more resistant than nosler in my specific situation . After 4 firings / reloadings the single case  is still loading in mag well . Loaded up a box and shot 3 @ 500 yds to verify dope . All good , cold bore and two more !

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »
Nice shooting
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2022, 08:28:53 AM »
I’m glad you found something that works for you. It can be fun and frustrating to find the right load. I’ve got lots of reloads in brass that I didn’t load to the max. You don’t have to load it exactly as the books say. Those #s are what worked for the specific gun THEY used in their testing. Every gun is different. Take that information as a suggestion. I have never used nosler brass. I heard it was always good brass. But like I said what works in one gun may not work in another. Sometimes you may change the primer or a grain of powder or seat the bullet differently. Where I run into issues is the time it takes. I don’t have endless hours to find the perfect load. I find one that is accurate and go with that. It is fun though. I love reloading.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal