collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Heavy Bloodshot  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Heavy Bloodshot
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2022, 09:53:48 AM »
Bazooka?  :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2022, 11:13:25 AM »
I'm sure there is lots of studies out there in regards to what calibers etc, or what bullet........   Growing up, my Dads .270 was a meat eating gun.  Man that thing caused shock damage.   I shot lots of deer with a .25 and then 30-06.   I mean really, a 150 grain bullet out of a .270 or one out of a 30-06, whats the real difference on the receiving end.  Of course there is smacking a shoulder or something, but even a clean through and through.......   curious   energy is energy, but anecdotally, to this day, I would be afraid to ruin meat with that .270

(bullets would probably be noz or horn.)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2022, 11:37:23 AM »
Couple thoughts.....

1.  I always cut upon the shoulder after getting it gutted, skinned and hanging.  Sometimes I will just take the shoulder(s) off and hang them separate to make sure I don't have flood sitting in the voids.  Like Nock Nock said....take your knife and at a 90 degree angle and scrape out the blood clots.  Also....if its cold enough, don't be afraid to take a hose to it.  If you do, leave it hanging and let it drip dry or air dry overnight.  Never had meat go bad due to rinsing my animals with a hose....never.

2.  Bullet choice and placement will make a big difference in the amount of damage.....more so than caliber.  We shot a black bear with a 338 lapua and had almost zero meat loss using a Hammer Hunter bullet.  I have seen people shoot animals with sst's and destroy meat due to the way the bullet dynamites.  I have shot a lot of animals with accubonds and if you hit bone, you will do damage....park it behind the shoulder and they work great. 

What I see on your pictures is blood clot in voids between the shoulder and ribs....open it up and clean it before it clots and you are good to go.  Now you just have to wash or scrape it off.  Ultimately...not a big deal. 

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2022, 02:29:10 PM »
https://www.themeateater.com/wired-to-hunt/whitetail-hunting-gear/is-hydrostatic-shock-real

Hydrostatic shock and velocity is what makes different calibers give varying results.  300fps difference from the same caliber can cause different results.  Just as a 150gr .270 vs. a 150gr. 30-06.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2022, 02:42:27 PM »
It was one shot with a 270 copper bullet through the ribs dead in seconds. Drug out then gutted within an hour. Gutted it after to keep it as clean as possible.

It was my first time hanging deer so perhaps there's some things I could have done to prevent this. My wife shot a deer on our property at the same time and I hung both at the exact same time. Hers looked nothing like mine after.

I ended up scraping, washing, and trimming the stained meat out. It has a different kind of odor to it that I can't imagine taste real well. So I trimmed way more than I normally would. My dogs and chickens will be getting some extra protein in their diet.

I think I'll go back to gutting and quartering right away. I didn't enjoy this experience at all.

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2022, 09:00:33 PM »
 Sometimes projectiles/ ballistics do weird stuff . But if you havent shot an animal with this combo before and this is the result , I would be looking for a new bullet  :twocents:

Oh! I dont think you ever did say what the "combo" was rifle/caliber,ammo,bullet . If you dont mind .
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 09:09:17 PM by Remnar »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2022, 04:11:49 AM »
I’m telling you, those damn .270s.  :chuckle:

I looked up my Dads loads, he used 130 grain and 150 grain nozler  partitions.  Mostly the 130s for deer I believe.  He killed two moose with the 150s.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2022, 04:21:00 AM »
I think a fella known as "Jack O'Connor " thought it was a great caliber.
 8)

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2022, 05:38:13 AM »
Stop talking about the .270.  All of the creedmoor millennials are going to look up the ballistics and when they do they are going to mope around the woods like someone took their lollipop. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 06:05:59 AM »
 :chuckle:  Yeah, you shoot big game with a .270 and you shoot ground squirrels with a creedmoor. Ole Jack would be laughing up a storm at all the hype that cartridge got. 

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2022, 07:10:47 AM »
My guess is that the blood in the chest cavity leaked out through the wound channel and settled during the time between when you shot the deer and when you cleaned the deer - maybe it had nothing to do with the caliber or round  :dunno:
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2022, 07:49:22 AM »
It was one shot with a 270 copper bullet through the ribs dead in seconds. Drug out then gutted within an hour. Gutted it after to keep it as clean as possible.

It was my first time hanging deer so perhaps there's some things I could have done to prevent this. My wife shot a deer on our property at the same time and I hung both at the exact same time. Hers looked nothing like mine after.

I ended up scraping, washing, and trimming the stained meat out. It has a different kind of odor to it that I can't imagine taste real well. So I trimmed way more than I normally would. My dogs and chickens will be getting some extra protein in their diet.

I think I'll go back to gutting and quartering right away. I didn't enjoy this experience at all.

My guess (plus what Twisp River said) is that the blood pooled and coagulated in that hour between when you shot it and when you gutted it. I usually have an animal open within 10 minutes of shooting it and drain out the blood soup quickly (once gone, it can't clot). You mentioned your wife shot a doe and it was different. If hers was opened up quickly, that is probably the difference.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 07:59:31 AM by Fidelk »

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
.270win & 30-06 are truly very powerful cartridges. Another thing that blows my mind is all the know it all sportsmen (same people who believe non forking mule deer antlers indicate Whitetail genetics) who belittle the common cartridges mainly the .243win and prop up the creedmore.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2022, 09:00:52 AM »
I'm not thinking caliber had much to do with it at this point but it was Federal 270 win Barnes TSX 130 grain 250 yards.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 09:20:49 AM »
Was the bloodshot side the side the deer fell on when it died?  Maybe head downhill?  There is only a bit of really light connective tissue in there and easy for blood to move around and then congeal.  I've had it happen several times although not that bad.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]