collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why I became a Master Hunter  (Read 2917 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Why I became a Master Hunter
« on: November 19, 2022, 03:19:40 PM »
Several years ago, I looked into the MH program. The extra tags weren't a motivator. I've only applied for a couple in the 15 years or so that I've been involved. I had spoken with another MH and what he told me about the volunteer conservation work, the learned knowledge about conservation and the role we play, the North American Wildlife Conservation Model, the laws that hunters passed to bring back our wildlife to abundance and which support their continued abundance; these all played a role in my signing up. I learned a ton about not only US hunting history, but why and how our contributions to conservation are so essential. It empowered me with an empathy when speaking with non-hunters and the approach I use to educate them about what we do, about our heritage. It has given me a sense of pride for the volunteer work I've done, both out in the field and as a Hunter Education instructor. I've had an actual personal impact on hunting in WA, and that's so important.

Having said all of this, the Governor's placement of a majority of non-hunting, animal rights activists (5 of 9 seats) on the governing body of the WDFW, the Wildlife Commission, has undermined all of the above. The North American Wildlife Conservation model is the envy of the entire world and now, they vote to ignore it. The vote to ignore not only the physical, but the huge financial contribution that hunters make for wildlife conservation is not just naïve, but ignorant and will ultimately harm those animals that they pretend to protect. This stinks of the spotted owl lies we were told that led to ending logging and indeed, the very health of our national forests to a point where today, forest fires burn so hot that they sterilize the forests instead of being one component of the cycle of regeneration and rejuvenation. We've seen a predator spiral in this state which has greatly affected ungulate populations in many areas, and a commission that seems to vote for more...more wolves, more bears and cougars, the introduction of grizzlies, and elimination of hunting those predators through the cancelation of seasons and hunter opportunity. This all will end hunting in WA as we know it. I can no longer be a part of the entity which is allowing these things to happen.

So, I'm resigning from the WA Master Hunter and Hunter Education programs effective immediately. I'll be writing to the Commission, the director of the WDFW, and the Governor to that effect. I have little doubt that the effect of my letter will be joy for 5 Commission members.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Why I became a Master Hunter
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »
Solid post Pman. I'm sorry its come to this.   

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 04:07:45 PM »
Superbly written.  What you wrote was a driver for me leaving the State. I also hold a Master Hunter permit and taught Hunters Ed for the State for a decade.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 04:11:02 PM »
Very sad state of affairs indeed........ Being stripped of our heritage one piece at a time. I'm not fully up on Adgenda 21................. :bash:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 04:13:41 PM »
This made me sick just reading it. I send a personal thank you to you for fighting this fight for us. 

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 04:38:22 PM »
P man I know your disgust.

I taught Hunter Education Traditional  Classes for 27 years. Two to Four classes every year 16-18 hours . I too became a Master Hunter. I lost the Master Hunter card because one day I arrived at a Quality Site parking 15 minutes too early. My fault. 

I gave up the Hunter Education because the state was pushing to ban real firearms in class. I would bring in 25 or more rifles and shogun’s every class for students to handle and learn how to operate. I got tired of the state wanting my free time but at every turn passing laws to restrict guns.

I got into the Hunter Ed after my good friend was shot while Elk hunting in the 80s. Students gun handled every night in the classes I gave.

It’s different state now and not for the better.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 05:41:20 PM »
You all have to remember, ole Inslee hates the east side of the state with a purple passion!!  We kicked him out of office the first chance we got!!  Then he ran and dung himself into the west side and got back in.   He is incompetent to say the least!  He has done everything he can to this side as payback!  He is rabid anti 2A, that is what got him sent packing along with the speaker of the house Foley!

His appointments FIT his agenda!  And like any good(if there is such a thing) D, he not in it for America or its Traditions.  Its all about re-elections and power!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
Mailing this hard copy to Inslee and sending by email to the Commission, the director, hunter ed, and master hunter departments.

"Governor Jay Inslee
PO Box 40002
Olympia, WA 98504-0002
Subject: Master Hunter/Hunter Education Instructor/Wildlife Commission
Governor Inslee,
I have been a WA Master Hunter for close to 15 years. My reason for doing the work was to improve my ethics, my knowledge about the North American Wildlife Conservation Model (the envy of the entire world in wildlife conservation), and to be able to communicate effectively with non-hunters about our heritage, our impact, and why we do what we do. I’m also a Hunter Education Instructor, having brought hundreds of new hunters into our sport.

As you may be aware, wildlife conservation is funded primarily by the Pittman Robertson taxes we pay on firearms and ammunition and hunting equipment, hunting and fishing license fees, and our participation in conservation groups like Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants forever (and many more organizations). All other groups combined do not come close to the contributions to wildlife conservation made by hunters and fishers.

Your appointments of five animal rights activists for a majority to the Wildlife Commission has had an immediate negative effect and will continue to hurt our hunters’ massive contributions to wildlife conservation as hunter numbers dwindle out of sheer frustration. We’re losing opportunities, ungulate numbers are decreasing, all while the costs of fees and equipment increases. Bear and cougar numbers are out of control in WA. Your activist appointments have already negatively affected wildlife conservation by eliminating predator seasons (spring bear), while their organizations contribute little to nothing for actual wildlife conservation. They’re killing hunting in WA and therefore, are killing actual conservation. Their organizations’ stated goals are not to save any wildlife, but to end hunting. And they give no solution as how to fund wildlife conservation once their anti-hunting goals are met.

As a result, I find my efforts as a Master Hunter and Hunter Education Instructor are fruitless. With regret, I am resigning as an instructor and Master Hunter. I hope you come to understand that hunting has an important role in Wildlife conservation and will seek to undue the damage to hunting and our valuable Washington wildlife.

Respectfully,

John Wallace"
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 10:24:37 AM »
Well written John. I am not sure how many of the opposition emails to Inslee's agenda he reades or get's conveyed to him.
Of all the emails I have written to him and the commission I have only recieved reply emails back from Kim Thornburn. It irks me to no end that there is no diversity on the commission. I see a lot of people throwing in the towel with respect to future hunting in Wa. I personally thank we should flood the governor, commission and news media to convey our displeasure. However I don't see a concerted effort by hunters to do so.
I have been in the Master Hunter program a long time. I don't apply for any of the special MH permits. I just enjoy the volunteer portion.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »
You all have to remember, ole Inslee hates the east side of the state with a purple passion!!  We kicked him out of office the first chance we got!!  Then he ran and dung himself into the west side and got back in.   He is incompetent to say the least!  He has done everything he can to this side as payback!  He is rabid anti 2A, that is what got him sent packing along with the speaker of the house Foley!

His appointments FIT his agenda!  And like any good(if there is such a thing) D, he not in it for America or its Traditions.  Its all about re-elections and power!

From my observations, he is a cowardly bully who goes after anyone or thing that disagrees or stands up to him. He's an embarrassment and his ego is out of control.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 10:46:11 AM »
Pman,
I read your post with dismay.  You are the exact person the Master Hunter Permit Program and Hunter Education Program needs.  We need passionate and devoted folks within our ranks to continue to press forward even with the significant headwinds we face in this state.   
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »
Pman,
I read your post with dismay.  You are the exact person the Master Hunter Permit Program and Hunter Education Program needs.  We need passionate and devoted folks within our ranks to continue to press forward even with the significant headwinds we face in this state.

I understand your feeling and I'm truly sorry to disappoint. When the wolf plan was finally decided upon, I almost did this then and was persuaded by Bob33 that my input as a MH and educator was valuable. So I continued to serve. I've watched as the commission has become anti-hunting and anti-opportunity. For the first time this year, I didn't hunt WA - went out of state and paid big bucks for more opportunity in a state which still believes that hunting is a valuable part of conservation. Our state, now controlled by the far left and bought and paid for by activist organizations in the Governor's pocket, no longer understands the contributions of our hunting community. Our "leaders" only understand the money they get from influencers like DOW and HSUS. It'll be too late before the supporters of these organizations realize the damage to wildlife conservation they've accomplished.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 11:15:24 AM »
Well written John :tup:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »
I've felt down and out.  First it was the election not changing hands in the state Senate. Then it was Wildlife For allbeing invited to the Biologists conference in Spokane. The Sping bear and subsequent resignation by McIsaac one of our champions.

I've done some pondering and here are my thoughts. The ARs have us a no win situation. They demoralize us by kicking us in the shins repeatedly and our natural inclination is to strike back at the department that is selling us out. This is exactly what the ARs want.

Pman, and others like you may need to move on to something else. It's sad but understandable. I don't think it will send any message other than they are succeeding. But if you must move on replace your time and effort into something more pointed. Our solution to management is political. To me that means joining your local county party and start working on learning the game, and donating your time for candidates. 2 years seems like a long time off, but a year of getting adjusted and then the election season will be upon us.

Do not dispare. If you must take your knowledge and change your tactics and push from a different direction.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 12:39:46 PM »
Prelude to all Wa?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal