collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Trapper  (Read 1301 times)

Offline nonstick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New Trapper
« on: November 20, 2022, 09:19:18 PM »
let me introduce myself my name is Sam a 32 year old father of 2 boys and I am a new trapper just passing my test right before the season started.  currently I have plans set a trap at my parents to get a pesky racoon that is trying to take up home in their shed other than that I would like to get out and trap for weasel. I have everything to make my boxes and would really love any kind of tips anyone could give me for what kind of area to set in and what to look for. I also will be setting for bobcats and skunks after the first of the year but i already have an area where i will be setting for them as I spent time scouting while bear hunting.

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
Re: New Trapper
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 10:45:01 AM »

Hello Sam,  :hello:
"Welcome"
As for weasels, I have always found them around wet areas like a roadside ditch.  But again I have found them in areas where pine marten are too.
If you're in snow look for their tracks while setting for bobcats.  I would hang a beaver carcass in a tree for cats and set a weasel box trap down at the bottom of the tree off to one side to catch those weasels and civet cats.  Use beaver meat, muskrat for bait and if you're a duck or grouse hunter throw some chest feather in the box traps for eye appeal.
Good Luck
JC   :hello:

Offline fatslinger

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 03:38:02 PM »
Welcome! Are you and the family coming to the workshop in December? There a several trappers in our area so if you need anything or have questions let me know.

Offline nonstick

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 09:02:27 PM »
Welcome! Are you and the family coming to the workshop in December? There a several trappers in our area so if you need anything or have questions let me know.

not sure it all depends on the wifes days off.  i would like to but am unsure about it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal