collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote trapping Eastern Washington  (Read 1798 times)

Offline EWUEAGLESHUNTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Coyote trapping Eastern Washington
« on: November 27, 2022, 07:52:17 PM »
Thanks to some advice, I was told to post my need for some coyote elimination on the trappings forum. I run a cattle ranch in the Rock Lake area and need some dogs eliminated before calving season starts in a month. I am willing to pay per dog eliminated. Please do not waste my time unless your are experienced, legally licensed and are willing to respect my land. PM if interested.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
Re: Coyote trapping Eastern Washington
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 07:55:53 PM »
I’d love to help you out if I was closer, hopefully you can get a good trapper in there to remove some dogs
Go hawks

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 09:04:23 PM »
Thanks to some advice, I was told to post my need for some coyote elimination on the trappings forum. I run a cattle ranch in the Rock Lake area and need some dogs eliminated before calving season starts in a month. I am willing to pay per dog eliminated. Please do not waste my time unless your are experienced, legally licensed and are willing to respect my land. PM if interested.

I sounds like you're asking for a Wildlife Control Officer

WCO

The problem is WDFW isn't going to issue a permit for foothold traps, which is what you need to catch coyotes.  Why? They're worried someone might trap one of their precious wolves. 

Trapping is out. Unless you get permission, then contact a WCO after you get the magic letter.  There's WCO's on HW, hopefully one will chime in to correct or fill in gaps here as to the process. I've pursued this option myself and I am a licensed trapper who used to trap coyotes before footholds were outlawed.  It's a no go for me.

Your best option now is to bait and shoot them.  Save back your next dead cow or pick up road kill, if not that, then piles of cheap dog food will work.  Feed them. A lot.

Get them accustomed to being fed. 

Then find a spot you can shoot them from a bedroom window, barn or other hide depending on your property.  I like a bedroom window and shooting them in my undies and slippers at 3am.   Get you a driveway alert monitor that'll ding dong in your room when they're on your bait, slide a lubricated window open and make sure your first shot is a good one.  You can use cheap night vision on a .223 or anything really.

What I wouldn't want is people educating them rather than eradicating them.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 04:45:46 AM »

I sounds like you're asking for a Wildlife Control Officer

WCO

The problem is WDFW isn't going to issue a permit for foothold traps, which is what you need to catch coyotes.  Why? They're worried someone might trap one of their precious wolves. 

Trapping is out. Unless you get permission, then contact a WCO after you get the magic letter.  There's WCO's on HW, hopefully one will chime in to correct or fill in gaps here as to the process. I've pursued this option myself and I am a licensed trapper who used to trap coyotes before footholds were outlawed.  It's a no go for me.

Your best option now is to bait and shoot them.  Save back your next dead cow or pick up road kill, if not that, then piles of cheap dog food will work.  Feed them. A lot.

Get them accustomed to being fed. 

Then find a spot you can shoot them from a bedroom window, barn or other hide depending on your property.  I like a bedroom window and shooting them in my undies and slippers at 3am.   Get you a driveway alert monitor that'll ding dong in your room when they're on your bait, slide a lubricated window open and make sure your first shot is a good one.  You can use cheap night vision on a .223 or anything really.

What I wouldn't want is people educating them rather than eradicating them.
you can get WCO to put in for padded footholds no problem it’s a lot easier now then it use to be , I take care of several farms over here for the exact issue you just gotta play the game the do

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 07:49:05 AM »
I'm glad to hear they're permitting wco trapping again, when I did it (Eastern Washington) it was a no go  :tup:

But I'm smack in wolf ground zero too up here in the NE corner

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 07:53:50 AM »
I'm glad to hear they're permitting wco trapping again, when I did it (Eastern Washington) it was a no go  :tup:

But I'm smack in wolf ground zero too up here in the NE corner
Ditto on ground zero.
Ya they might have a chance ,if there are no known wolf packs in the Cheney area.
If you have any depredations at all ,I'd call a warden ,and start complaining you need one.
There is a lot of yotes down there ,they all hide up on the refuge. Like a coyote strong hold.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Mt.Beaver

• Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA,
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 07:09:02 PM »
Nobody mentioned calling in coyotes and shooting them. Maybe not as efficient as trapping but I would think there are hunters willing to shoot some coyotes especially on private land.  Maybe a guide in the area needs some land to take clients out on a hunt.  It would be a start until and if you can find a trapper.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 07:12:18 PM »
Nobody mentioned calling in coyotes and shooting them. Maybe not as efficient as trapping but I would think there are hunters willing to shoot some coyotes especially on private land.  Maybe a guide in the area needs some land to take clients out on a hunt.  It would be a start until and if you can find a trapper.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,275437.msg3740251.html#msg3740251
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 12:20:23 PM »
I know this doesn't help you, but if I was still in Cheney I would have jumped all over this.  Killed a lot of dogs out towards Rock Lake.  Good luck.  I hope you get someone good that treats your property responsibly, most good trappers will.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline W Meyer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 01:25:41 PM »
PM sent

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »

Send me a PM where your at and I'll see if I can connect you with a good coyote trapper over there.  I know several.
JC 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand