collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What 7rm to buy?  (Read 5795 times)

Offline craigapphunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
What 7rm to buy?
« on: November 30, 2022, 08:06:05 AM »
So I'm buying a 7rm just can't decide what to get. I've already got 400 162 grain hornady eldx for load development. I own and love a tikka t3x in 6.5cm and wouldn't mind owning another chambered in 7 mag but i understand there my be challenges/limitations in a long action magnum cartridge. So for those of you that hand load a long mag cartridge in a tikka I'll take any advice you got and if the general consensus is go with something else what do you all recommend? Oh and I'd like to keep it under $1500.

Online Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: What 7rm to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:11:11 AM »
The biggest limiting factor in a Tikka besides the mag length is the 9 1/2 twist barrel. It would be fine for those 162's, I shoot the 162 eldm's out of mine currently and it shoots great, and I don't appear to have lost any BC but there are a lot of cool new bullets out there these days that I can't play with on a factory setup.

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 08:14:33 AM »
The biggest limiting factor in a Tikka besides the mag length is the 9 1/2 twist barrel. It would be fine for those 162's, I shoot the 162 eldm's out of mine currently and it shoots great, and I don't appear to have lost any BC but there are a lot of cool new bullets out there these days that I can't play with on a factory setup.

Did you have much trouble finding that load?

Online Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 08:26:04 AM »

Not at all, H4831sc was all I had at the time so the velocity isn't staggering but now that I've got my hands on some powder again I might try to wring a little more out of it. I bought it for a donor gun about 5 years ago and just keep shooting the darn thing  :chuckle:

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »

Not at all, H4831sc was all I had at the time so the velocity isn't staggering but now that I've got my hands on some powder again I might try to wring a little more out of it. I bought it for a donor gun about 5 years ago and just keep shooting the darn thing  :chuckle:

Thats reassuring thanks for the info. What coal did you settle on if you don't mind me asking? I have a 8 lb jug of ramshot magnum I was going to give a go with whatever I end up with.

Online Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 08:54:16 AM »

Thats reassuring thanks for the info. What coal did you settle on if you don't mind me asking? I have a 8 lb jug of ramshot magnum I was going to give a go with whatever I end up with.

Boy, I'd have to look. I think I'm somewhere in the 3.380 neighborhood with .100 jump. They barely fit in a MT mag

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 08:55:41 AM »
I load 168 Berger classic hunters over H1000 to magazine max length & it shoots phenomenal. If you want to shoot heavier than that maybe look elsewhere. Tikka’s are accurate with a good trigger at a bargain price in my book. :twocents:

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 08:59:15 AM »

Boy, I'd have to look. I think I'm somewhere in the 3.380 neighborhood with .100 jump. They barely fit in a MT mag

Nice. What Gen of MT mag you get and how has it performed for you? Sorry for all the questions....

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 09:00:52 AM »
So I'm buying a 7rm just can't decide what to get. I've already got 400 162 grain hornady eldx for load development. I own and love a tikka t3x in 6.5cm and wouldn't mind owning another chambered in 7 mag but i understand there my be challenges/limitations in a long action magnum cartridge. So for those of you that hand load a long mag cartridge in a tikka I'll take any advice you got and if the general consensus is go with something else what do you all recommend? Oh and I'd like to keep it under $1500.

I’ve got a browning x bolt hells canyon LR in 7mag and I love it!!

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 09:04:45 AM »
I load 168 Berger classic hunters over H1000 to magazine max length & it shoots phenomenal. If you want to shoot heavier than that maybe look elsewhere. Tikka’s are accurate with a good trigger at a bargain price in my book. :twocents:

Thanks for the reply good info. Couldn't agree more on the tikka comments that why I'd like to go that route just want to make sure I'm going in the right direction considering the cartridge and not missing something that would work better.

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 09:08:00 AM »

I’ve got a browning x bolt hells canyon LR in 7mag and I love it!!

You hand load for that by chance?

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 09:33:35 AM »
Too bad Browning doesn’t put a nice adjustable trigger in their rifles like Tikka does

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 09:48:58 AM »
Why not buy something American?  One flagship model of bolt action is as good as another and 99% of factory rifles shoot better than their owners, so why buy foreign?
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 10:00:22 AM »
I'd look real hard at a Seekins PH2...made in Idaho, have yet to see one that doesn't shoot extremely well, and they go to great lengths to keep customers happy.

It would be a little over your $1500 budget.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]