collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What 7rm to buy?  (Read 5788 times)

Offline craigapphunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
Re: What 7rm to buy?
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 11:03:18 AM »
Why not buy something American?  One flagship model of bolt action is as good as another and 99% of factory rifles shoot better than their owners, so why buy foreign?

No brand loyalty here I just want something that will do what i want it to do at a reasonable price

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 11:06:06 AM »
I'd look real hard at a Seekins PH2...made in Idaho, have yet to see one that doesn't shoot extremely well, and they go to great lengths to keep customers happy.

It would be a little over your $1500 budget.

Awesome looking gun maybe hard to find one especially if a guy wanted to fondle one before he bought? Do you have experience with one by chance?

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 12:18:30 PM »
I'd look real hard at a Seekins PH2...made in Idaho, have yet to see one that doesn't shoot extremely well, and they go to great lengths to keep customers happy.

Awesome looking gun maybe hard to find one especially if a guy wanted to fondle one before he bought? Do you have experience with one by chance?
I think Scheels, Sportsmans Warehouse, bass pro carry them as far as getting your hands on them.  If you find yourself in Lewiston, ID - just go to their factory...they'll walk you right back to where they are being made and let you handle whatever you want.

I have experience with several, but not a 7RM specifically.  All three I've shot have produced .25 moa 3 shot groups with factory ammo (all were 6.5PRC's)...and unless I screwed up I don't recall anything over 0.5 moa out to 700 yards (which is the furthest I ever shot where I measured 3 shot groups). 

They are a well-built rifle, they shoot very well, and the company is hands down better than any other rifle manufacturer I know of in terms of customer satisfaction.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 12:49:47 PM »
Too bad Browning doesn’t put a nice adjustable trigger in their rifles like Tikka does

The trigger is adjustable (3-5lbs) or are you saying the trigger itself isn’t a nice one? I’ve never had any issues with mine whatsoever.

Op, I don’t currently hand load for it, but it likes the Barnes vor-tx and the 150 grain Nosler expansion tips just fine.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »
Haven't tried one but looks like its worth checking:  Howa Carbon Stalker, 6.2#  < $1100.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/howa-carbon-stalker-7mm-rem-mag-bolt-action-rifle/FC-682146210910.html

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 01:10:32 PM »
Don't know the price but my friend shoots a 7MM STW. Just shot a bull elk in Arizona ranged at 750 yds....one shot dropped him  I've seen the shot on video.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 01:35:47 PM »

I think Scheels, Sportsmans Warehouse, bass pro carry them as far as getting your hands on them.  If you find yourself in Lewiston, ID - just go to their factory...they'll walk you right back to where they are being made and let you handle whatever you want.

I have experience with several, but not a 7RM specifically.  All three I've shot have produced .25 moa 3 shot groups with factory ammo (all were 6.5PRC's)...and unless I screwed up I don't recall anything over 0.5 moa out to 700 yards (which is the furthest I ever shot where I measured 3 shot groups). 

They are a well-built rifle, they shoot very well, and the company is hands down better than any other rifle manufacturer I know of in terms of customer satisfaction.

Thanks for the insight. From what I've read the ph2 in 7 rm has a 1:8 twist and long action magazine length to seat bullets out to 3.94" which smokes the stock tikka
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:42:52 PM by craigapphunt »

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2022, 02:10:35 PM »
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/christensen-arms-mesa-fft-tungsten-cerakote-bolt-action-rifle-7mm-remington-magnum-22in/p/1739533

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/christensen-arms-mesa-blackgray-bolt-action-rifle-7mm-remington-magnum/p/1461533

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/christensen-arms-ridgeline-blackstainless-bolt-action-rifle-7mm-remington-magnum-26in/p/1469072

Sportsmans has all the CA rifles on an awesome sale right now. Been happy with mine in 6.5CM. Have a ridgeline FFT in .300 win mag I haven't put together yet.

Those are attractive prices. I've heard mixed reviews about christensen which gives me some concern.

My ridgeline had to go back to the factory before I even shot it for excessive tool marks in the chamber area. CA sent me a label the same day I contacted them. They quickly shipped me back the rifle with the issue corrected. The rifle shoots sub MOA groups with four different factory loads, two of which shot .5 or less. I love my Tikka's but they didnt perform like that for me. Had to find the load they liked which isn't a big deal at all or a knock on Tikka.

Whichever rifle you decide to buy, I recommend bringing a small flashlight and taking a close look. I was pretty upset about a brand new gun having to go back to Utah but was also surprised they addressed a cosmetic issue so quickly.

Offline craigapphunt

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2022, 02:48:27 PM »
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/christensen-arms-mesa-fft-tungsten-cerakote-bolt-action-rifle-7mm-remington-magnum-22in/p/1739533

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/christensen-arms-mesa-blackgray-bolt-action-rifle-7mm-remington-magnum/p/1461533

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/christensen-arms-ridgeline-blackstainless-bolt-action-rifle-7mm-remington-magnum-26in/p/1469072

Sportsmans has all the CA rifles on an awesome sale right now. Been happy with mine in 6.5CM. Have a ridgeline FFT in .300 win mag I haven't put together yet.

Those are attractive prices. I've heard mixed reviews about christensen which gives me some concern.

My ridgeline had to go back to the factory before I even shot it for excessive tool marks in the chamber area. CA sent me a label the same day I contacted them. They quickly shipped me back the rifle with the issue corrected. The rifle shoots sub MOA groups with four different factory loads, two of which shot .5 or less. I love my Tikka's but they didnt perform like that for me. Had to find the load they liked which isn't a big deal at all or a knock on Tikka.

Whichever rifle you decide to buy, I recommend bringing a small flashlight and taking a close look. I was pretty upset about a brand new gun having to go back to Utah but was also surprised they addressed a cosmetic issue so quickly.

Something to be said about great customer service. I've never heard anything good about the CS for tikka.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 03:15:27 PM »

Something to be said about great customer service. I've never heard anything good about the CS for tikka.
I rarely hear of anyone need CS for Tikka.
That's why I own three of them.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 06:33:07 PM »
I love my Xbolt in 7mmRM.  I shoot 168gr Berger VLDs and 168gr ABLRs primarily in it.  Very accurate rifle.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 09:05:59 PM »
Are you dead set on a bolt action? What about a T/C Encore Pro Hunter in 7mmRM. I'm not into long range stuff but I sure do like how mine shoots. Single shot makes you a better shooter :chuckle: therefore saving on ammo. :chuckle: E. A. Brown makes some nice precision barrels for the Encore and offer action jobs on the frames. Just my  :twocents: Good luck.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 09:26:48 PM »
Might be a bit over $1500, I am partial to the Sako Finlight

https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-finnlight

I own two, one 7MM mag, the other in 300 win mag: both came with sub-MOA guarantee and a target with 5 shot group. One 0.6” the other 0.5” with round used, and the shooter’s name.
They also have a note to call for load data if you prefer handloads.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2022, 11:10:40 PM »
 I’ve never needed more than one shot from my Ruger M77, and it’s tagged several trophy quality critters! You don’t need to break the bank! :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]