collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Contractor side job  (Read 1686 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Explorer
Contractor side job
« on: December 01, 2022, 03:12:10 PM »
This is a bit of a random question but worth a shot. I bought an unfinished cabin on 20 acres up near the Canadian border that I am hoping to shore up next spring/summer. My old man and I are decent with building things but I would love to have someone with more knowledge/experiencee help me make sure the cabin is structurally sound. My thought was something like spending a few days up there where I gave the person a couple grand to use as efficiently as possible and I would also compensate them for their time. Thoughts?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Contractor side job
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 12:08:59 AM »
What area?? I know a guy in Conconully.

Offline 2MANY

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 04:49:22 AM »
Better get realistic with your budget if your looking to hire a stranger IMHO.
A couple grand hardly buys a sign with the word "Structural" on it.
Not trying to be an ass but realistic.

Offline vandeman17

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 07:59:17 AM »

The cabin is built and doesn't need much, just some small finishing touches to make it MORE structurally sound. A couple grand is plenty realistic

Offline snit

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 08:59:51 AM »
Is it needing labor + equipment (of some sort), or just the qualified labor? Therein lies the rub...

Isolated locations are difficult to get folks to, due to their opportunity costs. I'm "local" and in the industry, and most/all of my contacts are honestly welcoming the early cold snap to have a reason to pause some of their construction. Even with the roller-coaster of the economy, it's been a pedal-to-the-metal year!

Asking for contacts is a great idea, I'd do the same with my friends in the County to the North. FWIW, overall there's still a decent amount of backlog for next year, so depending on your scope, you may have to adjust your budget somewhat.

Offline vandeman17

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 09:06:40 AM »
Is it needing labor + equipment (of some sort), or just the qualified labor? Therein lies the rub...

Isolated locations are difficult to get folks to, due to their opportunity costs. I'm "local" and in the industry, and most/all of my contacts are honestly welcoming the early cold snap to have a reason to pause some of their construction. Even with the roller-coaster of the economy, it's been a pedal-to-the-metal year!

Asking for contacts is a great idea, I'd do the same with my friends in the County to the North. FWIW, overall there's still a decent amount of backlog for next year, so depending on your scope, you may have to adjust your budget somewhat.

Appreciate the feedback.

Qualified labor would be good and I don't think any equipment other than power tools would be needed as I would provide a generator and fuel. The isolated location is the most difficult part for sure not only for getting up there but in the case of needing to "run to town" to get more supplies would be a half day ordeal.

I am somewhat confident that I could do majority of the work on my own or with the help of family but its more so just knowing how to prioritize what needs to be done and the most efficient way to tackle it.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 09:20:59 AM »
I think when you use the expression "more structurally sound", people are thinking foundation, structural supports, etc. - very expensive stuff. Maybe you could be more specific about what you feel needs to be done. Drywall, painting, installing cabinets, etc.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 09:35:23 AM »

The cabin is built and doesn't need much, just some small finishing touches to make it MORE structurally sound. A couple grand is plenty realistic

What you see and what an ‘actual’ construction person sees may be two different things. The construction person may not want their name any where something that is ‘iffy’, regardless of whether you think it is good or not.
When you get someone in to take a look they will be able to tell you.

Offline vandeman17

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 09:41:27 AM »
I guess this thread really isn't going to go anywhere since its super hard to describe the cabin and my initial thoughts of what could need to be done without seeing it. Thanks for everyone's input

Offline Bullkllr

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 10:05:57 AM »
Well, having been involved with a similar sounding cabin for a while I can share some of our personal experiences.

It has "always" been difficult getting pros to even look at things. This was apparently the deal well before we took over ownership. The previous owners had somewhat of a relationship with a construction company dating back years who would do repairs, etc. But they often did it as a favor and were very loose with quality, codes, permits etc.; even involving a significant rebuild (after a tree fell). Getting someone to do this now would be highly risky and not even desirable. I guess what I'm saying is unless you already have a connection, getting a pro to check things out given what seems common with the industry right now may be difficult at best (and understandable given the scope of the job and their opportunity costs).

We struggled with the 'order' in which to attack needed repairs also. I think your best bet otherwise is to start repairs at the foundation footings and support beams and work your way up. It has been working for us so far. We haven't screwed up anything that could not be fixed, and we have a cabin that is much stronger and more sound than what we started with.  :twocents:
"WE THE PEOPLE..."

Online kingking

• Pilgrim
    • Josh Blackwood
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 05:53:14 PM »
Vandeman, you have any photos of the cabin? Any specific concerns or issues? Im a licensed general contractor and I work on a lot of vacation homes and rural retreat properties.  Im always interested in working on off grid properties. Plus it sounds like a opportunity for some scouting.   I work out of a fully stocked enclosed cargo trailer that holds all tools needed for building custom homes.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
I am qualified but too busy.  Best advice I can give is do it right the first time.  It might cost you more than you were planning but without seeing it I can't say.  Buy once, cry once.

Online kingking

• Pilgrim
    • Josh Blackwood
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 05:21:12 PM »
i tried to pm you but, your inbox is full

Offline vandeman17

• Explorer